Live TV: resume playing a live tv channel breaks the channel

eeeeeesy

eeeeeesy

Live TV: resume playing a live tv channel breaks the channel and buffers forever only for that channel. 

i was watching a channel then i selected to play the same channel that was already playing and thats when the eternal buffering started only for that channel and the channel will not play.

if i then switch to another channel, the other channels play fine. if i go back to the channel that is broken it still does not play.

embyserver.txt 

here are my logs

Edited by eeeeeesy

eeeeeesy
25 minutes ago, Spaceboy said:

as per other thread, you might need to describe exactly what you are doing to get this outcome in a bit more detail

i did just describe this. i said if i click on the same channel that is already playing the channel will stop playing and will just show the buffering symbol rather than resuming. it breaks the channel. and i provided the logs. you need to describe what youre not understanding.

as per the other channel that was closed prematurely without waiting for my reply, that was an unrelated issue and so not a duplicate. the other issue was i can not get the guide to disappear so i can resume watching the channel. this is what cause me to click on the same channel to see if i could resume with out the guide infront of the video.

i just signed up for emby and im already not liking the support and ive seen other people have difficulties with support here too when i read other posts.

Edited by eeeeeesy

eeeeeesy

our differences aside, im trying to re-create the issue by clicking the same channel that is currently playing and the issue is no longer happening. so all that is left to figure out is the other issue which is, how can i make the guide disappear so i can continue watching the currently playing channel without the guide in the way and without the need to find the same channel to click on to resume playing the currently playing channel since it takes a really long time to start up the channel or any channel. just minimizing the guide will do the job but i cant find a button for that on my remote.

eeeeeesy
8 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Just press the "back" button.  That is the way you dismiss anything that is on the screen.

when I click the back button (which is the right mouse button on my remote)  the guide along with the video closes and it goes back to the full screen guide without video rather than back to the full screen video that should be playing.

Edited by eeeeeesy

eeeeeesy
12 hours ago, eeeeeesy said:

Live TV: resume playing a live tv channel breaks the channel and buffers forever only for that channel. 

i was watching a channel then i selected to play the same channel that was already playing and thats when the eternal buffering started only for that channel and the channel will not play.

if i then switch to another channel, the other channels play fine. if i go back to the channel that is broken it still does not play.

embyserver.txt 1.42 MB · 0 downloads  

here are my logs

as for this issue, i started getting freezing video upon start up with this same channel. for some reason my channel became problematic again later on. what i did that appears to have fixed it for good was I went into emby for android tv settings> playback and enabled resume rewind 5 seconds. for some reason it was disabled by default. i will keep you guys posted if i still have problem with that specific channel. 

Edited:

I ran into another probllem with that same channel. the stream started pausing while it buffered for 2 seconds every 2 minutes. So i went back to settings> playback and set resume rewind to 10 seconds and this time its not pausing but im not sure thats the fix or if simply me changing the channel and returning to that channel fixed it. all i know is its not an internet speed issue since its an sd show playing but other channels work fine for 1080p movies.

Edited by eeeeeesy

1 hour ago, eeeeeesy said:

when I click the back button (which is the right mouse button on my remote)  the guide along with the video closes and it goes back to the full screen guide without video rather than back to the full screen video that should be playing.

What is this device?

eeeeeesy
3 hours ago, eeeeeesy said:

as for this issue, i started getting freezing video upon start up with this same channel. for some reason my channel became problematic again later on. what i did that appears to have fixed it for good was I went into emby for android tv settings> playback and enabled resume rewind 5 seconds. for some reason it was disabled by default. i will keep you guys posted if i still have problem with that specific channel. 

Edited:

I ran into another probllem with that same channel. the stream started pausing while it buffered for 2 seconds every 2 minutes. So i went back to settings> playback and set resume rewind to 10 seconds and this time its not pausing but im not sure thats the fix or if simply me changing the channel and returning to that channel fixed it. all i know is its not an internet speed issue since its an sd show playing but other channels work fine for 1080p movies.

the buffering came back on the next episode without the external player

eeeeeesy
18 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Just press the "back" button.  That is the way you dismiss anything that is on the screen.

its working now. i think all i had to do was force close emby. thanks for the help.

eeeeeesy
6 hours ago, Luke said:

Are you able to repeat the original problem?

no but i have a new problem. i left a channel playing all night while i slept and i woke up to intermittent freezing. so force closed emby for android tv and now live tv wont play. i get a message that says "too many errors, giving up".

here are my logs.

edited: i waited a bit and went to a different channel and then back to those channels and now they play.

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-transcode-57368ead-6ec6-4039-9e1e-6bf4946376d6_1.txt

Edited by eeeeeesy

You force-closed the app while it was playing?

6 hours ago, eeeeeesy said:

i left a channel playing all night

Did your transcoding-temp folder run out of space perhaps?  What happens if you restart the server?

eeeeeesy
1 hour ago, ebr said:

You force-closed the app while it was playing?

Did your transcoding-temp folder run out of space perhaps?  What happens if you restart the server?

how can i stop it from running out of space? and where is the default transcoding temp folder located?

it started happening again after i restarted the server. every time i reboot my pc it goes away but then comes back if i play a channel for too long.

Edited by eeeeeesy

That's does sound like a storage issue.

Check the transcoding menu on the Dashboard.  If the field is blank for your transcoding location then it will be stored as a sub directory under your main Emby directory.

eeeeeesy
7 hours ago, cayars said:

That's does sound like a storage issue.

Check the transcoding menu on the Dashboard.  If the field is blank for your transcoding location then it will be stored as a sub directory under your main Emby directory.

dude i just asked where that was . you still havent told me.

Edited by eeeeeesy

13 minutes ago, eeeeeesy said:

dude i just asked where that was . you still havent told me.

For future reference. besides where I mentioned, this information is also available on the main page of the Dashboard as well. On older servers it's in the PATHS section box and on newer versions you can click the 3 dot menu right next to the power button at the top where you can click the Get Server Info menu. That will show you a couple things including:
image.png.0289b86904a8e6a5db596645703d1316.png

It's also written to the beginning of the logs at startup as well.

PS Sorry about that.  I should have included this info for you in the other post. :)

Edited by cayars

eeeeeesy
7 minutes ago, cayars said:

Did you not find it where I mentioned in the transcode folder below the Emby directory?

yes i found it in that spot but i was expecting you to just tell me the exact path rather than making me search for it.

anyway, how can i increase the max size of the transcoding file or max size of the transcoding temp folder if 20gb is too much? there must be a way to keep watching a channel for days rather than hours.

Edited by eeeeeesy

Just now, eeeeeesy said:

yes i found it in that spot but i was expecting you to just tell me the exact path rather than making me search for it.

anyway, how can i increase the max size of the transcoding file or max size of the transcoding temp folder if 20gb is too much? there must be a way to keep watching a channel for days rather than hours.

Sorry about that.  BTW, I edited the message probably before you replied so take another look at it.  It's in a different location on each OS so without knowing your platform or username it's hard to give an exact location.  However there are a couple of ways to find this info quickly which I should have given you up front.  Again sorry about that but glad you found it.

There is no setting to increase file or folder size used.  Emby will use all the space it needs to complete the jobs currently being transcoded so the important thing to keep in mind is to make sure there is always enough free space available for it to use.  Putting the Transcode folder on a fast disk or SSD is usually a good idea as well.

eeeeeesy
16 minutes ago, cayars said:

Sorry about that.  BTW, I edited the message probably before you replied so take another look at it.  It's in a different location on each OS so without knowing your platform or username it's hard to give an exact location.  However there are a couple of ways to find this info quickly which I should have given you up front.  Again sorry about that but glad you found it.

There is no setting to increase file or folder size used.  Emby will use all the space it needs to complete the jobs currently being transcoded so the important thing to keep in mind is to make sure there is always enough free space available for it to use.  Putting the Transcode folder on a fast disk or SSD is usually a good idea as well.

its ok.

my transcoding temp folder is already on a fast drive. its on my 1tb ssd nvme made by WD. it has 802gb of free space. there has to be something else going on then.

also, why is the segment so big? 20gb? shouldnt it be multiple small files?

Edited by eeeeeesy