Fast forward in movies will result in hanging

TDriver

TDriver

Good Morning, I have the following problem that I cannot fast forward in the browser (Google Chrome and Firefox). As soon as I fast forward a movie, Emby hangs. This problem does not affect Emby Theater. After fast forwarding, I have to press F5 several times until the website is available again. I have this problem under my Synology DS1821 + NAS (DSM7 current version) with the following system configuration: 7x 8 TB SHR, 2x 1TB SSD NVME cache To the best of my knowledge, this problem only occurs with software version 4.6.7.0. About a week ago I switched from Windows to Synology and took my database with me.

I have already considered reinstalling Emby, but since it seems to be due to the web player and the apps and Emby Theater are not affected, I would not like to reinstall unnecessarily.

I have Emby's Premium Membership. Thank you in advance for your help

German Version:
Guten Morgen,

ich habe folgendes Problem, dass ich im Browser (Google Chrome und Firefox) nicht vorspulen kann.

Sobald ich einen Film vorspule, hängt Emby. Dieses Problem betrifft nicht Emby Theater.

Nach dem Vorspulen muss ich mehrmals F5 drücken, bis die Webseite wieder erreichbar ist.

Ich habe dieses Problem unter meinem NAS Synology DS1821+ (DSM7 aktuelle Version) mit der folgenden Systemkonfiguration:

7x 8 TB SHR, 2x 1TB SSD NVME Cache

Meines Wissens tritt dieses Problem nur unter der Softwareversion 4.6.7.0.
Vor ca. einer Woche bin ich umgestiegen von Windows auf Synology und habe meine Datenbank mitgenommen.

Ich habe mir schon überlegt Emby neu zu installieren, aber nachdem es anscheinend am Web Player liegt und die Apps und Emby Theater nicht betroffen ist, würde ich ungern unnötig neu installieren.

Ich besitze die Premium Memberschaft von Emby. Vielen Dank im Voraus für die Hilfe

hardware_detection-63773600974.txt

embyserver (3).txt

Edited by TDriver

My guess is that the CPU on your NAS isn't able to transcode fast enough for you to FF quickly.  On your PC you likely have hardware assisted transcoding if it was an Intel CPU but this NAS with it's AMD processor doesn't support that and all transcoding needs to be done in software.

As a test try this again with the same file.  Only this time when you do a FF go fix a cup of coffee or something else for 5 minutes or so. What I'm interested in knowing is if it will start playing again on it's own or if you will be able to hit play and continue.

If you would like to graphically see what's going on and how fast your server is able to transcode files install the Diagnostic Plugin from the Plugin Catalog (plugins menu, catalog top tabs).  Install that and restart Emby Server.  Now go to the new User Sessions menu to see all kinds of new information on your playback.

When you FF does this new screen show the server working and trying to catch up?  Is it behind or forward the client playback?  Does it show what the fps (frames per second) it's able to transcode at?  That will show you exactly what's going on for this playback.

If you don't get your answer there on your own, upload the ffmpeg log file for this playback. Grab all ffmpeg files generated with the date/time of this playback and post them here for us to look at.

Carlo

TDriver

Thanks Carlo, I think that's an eight core CPU (AMD Ryzen V1500B). In the meantime I was able to solve the problem by completely reinstalling 🙂 Thanks very much. Many greetings

• Like 1

That's interesting.  I wonder what changed when you reinstalled?
Did you reinstall the same or different version?

TDriver

Hello, I have the same version installed. I think something went wrong when switching from Windows to Linux, which then caused these problems in the update. In any case, I can now fast forward and rewind again without any problems.

Maybe the error can be identified in the log files, which is why I uploaded them.

Edited by TDriver

It didn't see anything in the logs that stood out as an issue.
BTW, you should turn off debug logging and only use that if asked.
Otherwise it'll just slow you down and make logs harder to read.

TDriver

Thank you, I only activated it so that I might recognize a bug. Debugging is now deactivated. No problem, now everything is working 🙂

• Like 1