1) Asus RT-AX86U with a Huawei 4G usb stick as a main internet connection 

DEVICES: 
1) Raspberry Pi 4 with Emby server installed 
2) Windows 10 PC 
3) Android smartphone with Emby app 
4) Chromecast with Emby app 
5) LG TV with Emby app 

All devices are connected to LAN: 
RPi and PC via ethernet, and the rest via WiFi. 

The problem is - when there is no internet connection (by the end of the month, when my traffic has run out, because it's limited), I can barely open emby server (from any app)... I cannot stream movies locally. 

I can only stream locally to my Android phone. 

I can access my SAMBA share on the same server via Windows PC or Android phone normally as usual, regardless of internet connection. 
But I cannot stream with Emby to all devices except to my smarthphone. 

All LAN devices have static IP's. I never stream when outside LAN - because of limited traffic. 

Any info? 

Edited by 0v3rl0rd

HI there, can we please look at a specific example? What device and Emby app did this last happen with? Thanks !

Hi, Also how are you logging into your servers?
Do you use Emby Connect or have you setup your clients to use the local IP and port shown on the server dashboard?

0v3rl0rd
8 hours ago, Luke said:

HI there, can we please look at a specific example? What device and Emby app did this last happen with? Thanks !

Hi. It last happened on Chromecast app & LG app & Windows PC via web browser. I tried them one after another. For some reason it works only from mobile, which is weird. 

4 hours ago, cayars said:

Hi, Also how are you logging into your servers?
Do you use Emby Connect or have you setup your clients to use the local IP and port shown on the server dashboard?

Hi. I don't use Emby Connect. On all devices I've chosen "connect manually" and on all devices I entered the same local IP address: http://192.168.xxx.yyy:8096/ 

As stated, it works if there is internet connection, but it doesn't when there's no internet. 

A couple of things to note. If you are setup to require SSL/TLS using a secured port that could require internet access. Same if you are using a domain name and don't have a local DNS server setup to handle local traffic. This could cause you issues even if you are using IP from the client side because the server may be using the https itself internally.  You can see this looking at the logs.

If you have any browser addons, these could be causing issues as the plugs could be in need of internet access to function correctly.  In a browser you can bring up the debug console and likely see what reason you have for not being able to connect.  You can also look at the server logs as well for the connection attempt.

I don't own one of the new Chromecasts so I'm not sure how they work, but it would not surprise me if they don't work offline.  Google likes it's telemetry data.
@Luke might know if this device will run offline or not.

Hi, Chromecast requires an internet connection because all Chromecast apps are internet-hosted. That's just how they work. LG TV's I believe also require an internet connection, but not specifically the Emby app. @SamES can confirm.

But the web app though you should be able to use. What address is in the browser address bar?

Does this issue start fairly soon (within hours) of the loss of internet or only after a longer period or even a day or two?

I can't think of anything specific that would cause issues with LG, but I remember seeing something similar years ago that affected multiple clients after a period of time, which at the time I seem to recall was the client/server trying to check for a valid premier key.  The key is cached for a period of time on the server, and after that an internet lookup is required.

I don't know if this still works the same way, or if it is cached for a longer period now.

Is there anything in the server logs around this time that might suggest what's causing the delay?  Could it be a plugin?

0v3rl0rd

@cayars

About SSL/TLS and local DNS server setup - I don't quite follow You, it's maybe too complicated for me :D

What I know is that my router's DHCP is "on", there is empty box near the DNS Server option. About the logs, I'll try to find those and take note when the problem happens. 

@Luke

The address in the bar is my local IP of the Raspberry Pi 4: 192.168.01.117:8096 

@SamES

I noticed it happened twice - once this month and once the last month. In both situations I've run out of my data plan. 

Premiere I don't have yet cause I'm still in a Emby testing phase, so there should not be any licence validity checking in the background. 

I'll take a look at the logs today and try a few things to make it work. 

If you are using 8096 then you are not using SSL/TLS or secured ports specifically to access your server.

Based on what's been said it sounds like the devices themselves that you have require Internet to work properly.  Emby itself does need Internet to verify Premiere features but can work offline for a period of time, else it would fall back to non Premiere features which would be obvious.

Next time you loose Internet try accessing your Emby server with a browser from your computer.  If you can use it with http://192.168.1.117:8096 then it's not an Emby issue.

You might want to consider either managing your bandwidth allocation better so you don't run out or change devices that won't require Internet.  For example you could replace the Chromecast with a MiBox as just an example.

14 hours ago, 0v3rl0rd said:

Premiere I don't have yet cause I'm still in a Emby testing phase, so there should not be any licence validity checking in the background. 

I'll take a look at the logs today and try a few things to make it work. 

I think even without a premier licence it will still try to validate whether a licence exists, although I can't be certain.  It will be interesting to see what is in the server log when this next occurs.

• 2 weeks later...

It wouldn't be just to check a license.  If any users have Emby Connect accounts the server needs to update that info.