Help emby connect wont work anymore

Cyberbob2021

Cyberbob2021

Hi all been having issues last few days, all sorts of weird thigs, things that did play now refuse to play. 

& worst of all, I changed my internet provider from BT to Vodaphone, wired super fast. i can see the address being allowed on the router, and the ports allowed, if I or the inlaws try to connect via emby connect, its slow to log on & when you click to log onto server says connection failed, so i copy pasted and emailed the link & he got straight in.  its as if emby connect cant see my server anymore. im at a loss here as all seems to be working now others than outside world. i only have 4 connecting to it.

I'm pulling my hair out here.  & I cant work out why the emby connect log in wont work at all anymore 

visproduction

Just a guess.  When you switch routers it may assign Emby with a different IP port.  I reserve a port only for the Emby server so it doesn't get used up when the server is offline and someone new walks in the house with a new phone and connects as a guest and the router gives the Emby port, because you didn't tell it to reserve that address.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Cyberbob2021 said:

Hi all been having issues last few days, all sorts of weird thigs, things that did play now refuse to play. 

& worst of all, I changed my internet provider from BT to Vodaphone, wired super fast. i can see the address being allowed on the router, and the ports allowed, if I or the inlaws try to connect via emby connect, its slow to log on & when you click to log onto server says connection failed, so i copy pasted and emailed the link & he got straight in.  its as if emby connect cant see my server anymore. im at a loss here as all seems to be working now others than outside world. i only have 4 connecting to it.

I'm pulling my hair out here.  & I cant work out why the emby connect log in wont work at all anymore 

Hi, would you be able to create a new account on your system giving it remote access to allow me to test connecting? "cayars" is my EC name (same as forum name).

Thanks

• Like 1

Cyberbob2021
4 hours ago, cayars said:

Hi, would you be able to create a new account on your system giving it remote access to allow me to test connecting? "cayars" is my EC name (same as forum name).

Thanks

I can yes, il add a user now, thanks so much 

Just an update,  The main device with problem was an LG smart TV has worked fine for months, then about 4/5 days ago, he said it wont play things it has in the past. ie halt catch fire, season 1 fine, got to season 2 watched the first 4 fine, then 5 would not play, I tried it played fine. I keep trying to connect via my phone for testing, and it just wont let me, it has let my in-laws Roku in no problems,  other tired with amazon stick and was slow and would not play media. 

I have checked router & the ports are open for emby. so im at a loss works for one but not another, and been fine, till I swapped my internet.  

Cyberbob2021
4 hours ago, cayars said:

Thanks

all done, set pass word have DM you the details, thanks again. i just tried to get into, my connect again on mobile, takes a while to log in then when i click the server takes a while again, and then says cant connect to server, 

i copied and pasted the details of the dashboard to my m8, he got in no problems with the link i sent him, the others on roku seem to be getting in ok, ill await a reply, thanks again  

3 hours ago, Cyberbob2021 said:

I can yes, il add a user now, thanks so much 

Just an update,  The main device with problem was an LG smart TV has worked fine for months, then about 4/5 days ago, he said it wont play things it has in the past. ie halt catch fire, season 1 fine, got to season 2 watched the first 4 fine, then 5 would not play, I tried it played fine. I keep trying to connect via my phone for testing, and it just wont let me, it has let my in-laws Roku in no problems,  other tired with amazon stick and was slow and would not play media. 

I logged in via Chrome one time, then had an issue so I used Firefox and logged in.  I checked out season 2/Episode 5 of that series and noticed you have 3 versions of that episode.  Have you tried manually playing each to see if the problem is with any specific media file?  I only played back a couple seconds of each to not use your bandwidth but all three started playing for me.

If you could check that it would be helpful.
I just wanted to let you know what I found.  I'm now going to see if I can figure out why I can't login again using Chrome.  What is happening to me in Chrome (after I initially logged in once) is that it's taking me to my server when I clicked your server.

It could be some strange browser caching issue, but this shouldn't happen.

• Like 1

Cyberbob2021
31 minutes ago, cayars said:

I logged in via Chrome one time, then had an issue so I used Firefox and logged in.  I checked out season 2/Episode 5 of that series and noticed you have 3 versions of that episode.  Have you tried manually playing each to see if the problem is with any specific media file?  I only played back a couple seconds of each to not use your bandwidth but all three started playing for me.

I just wanted to let you know what I found.  I'm now going to see if I can figure out why I can't login again using Chrome.  What is happening to me in Chrome (after I initially logged in once) is that it's taking me to my server when I clicked your server.

Ill look now thanks so much 

Cyberbob2021
58 minutes ago, cayars said:

Thanks so much for all this.  I think some of its user created some of it is swapping the net over, & possible update issue for the LG TV user, I have edited all users now so they cant download ect, except you, I'm just going to reboot now, and I've run the media update after removing all those conversion files, dont worry about my bandwidth do what you have to do to test, playing for however long. thank you so much again.  

visproduction

Did changing the settings solve the problem?  Another guess is that Episode 6 is encoded differently.  I've noticed that AC3 audio automatically  re encodes on my setup.  The video have to have AAC audio in order to playback without reencoding.  It's easy to miss noticing that the audio codec is different.   Another trigger could be variable bit rate versues Fixed bit rate in the media.  Variable can perhaps cause a trigger to start reencoding when a heavy use opening scene.  If this happens, then the video and audio codec could be H.264 and AAC and still cause an issue.  That can be adjusted with your settings.  Finally if a user is remote, I think there is a setting for a max bit rate in that case.  Remote users are restricted by the upload speed to your host and local users don't have that problem.  I think that remote users pulling a variable bit rate can trigger encoding, while a local user will not.  The obvioius test is to open the temp encoding director and watch for file creation.

Hope that helps.

Edited by visproduction
  • Like 1

Cyberbob2021

I think its an issue with his LG tv, I've looked at the episodes same encoding everything, tbh to solve solution told him to get cheap roku stick,  his smart tv, seems to want to transcode everything, bitrate too high,  tbh my iPhone direct plays, im all roku, and the amazon sticks direct play pretty much all, he was trying to encode the episodes to watch, and my server is only small for the 5 of us, so no transcoding, i should have turned off converting and downloading my bad, it caused it all sorts of issues,  the emby connect issue was solved, by unlatching and re latching to emby problem solved, thanks to the team for helping me. ie adding in the emby dashboard. eps 3 will play 4 wont play.   he has watched them before same setup im stumped tbh

03.jpg

04.jpg

Edited by Cyberbob2021

visproduction

Well AC3 starts encode on my setup.  I am not sure how to stop that from happening other than not using video with AC3.  When I converted a video from audio AC3 to audio AAC and kept the same video track, the reencoding stopped.  Does someone know if it's possible to setup a server to direct play AC3 without reencoding?  I haven't looked.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Luke said:

What exactly is the problem that the user is seeing?

He deleted the server on the client side..  So we removed his EC name saved it, added it back and saved it again to reset his EC account for that server.

• Like 1

Cyberbob2021
On 27/11/2021 at 03:41, Luke said:

What exactly is the problem that the user is seeing?

the playing issue was still there, so I used the emby convert function to convert them all to a format it wanted too, but they did play on the same set up hes not updated the app or anything, that has allowed him to continue watching.  The log in issue is as cayars explained, Thank you again for the help with that. The user has ordered a roku, so fingers crossed he then starts to direct play rather than everything transcoding for him,  it could have been my change in internet caused the user log problem.

Let us know how he makes out once he gets the Roku.  You may need to instruct him how to set the bitrate limits to be optimal for his setup so things don't transcode that could have been direct played.