Can someone explain sharing to me when it comes to premier?

stealthboy
Go to solution Solved by Carlo,

stealthboy

Sorry to have to post this but after over an hour of searching and not finding a solid answer I'm getting frustrated.

I am trying to move from Plex to Emby. I have a lot of users I wish to share my server with. I paid for Premier, which I understand gives me 25 "premier devices", which I understand to be the ones listed here: Emby Premiere Feature Matrix : Emby

My question is... when I invite someone to join my server, are they just freely able to use up these 25 licenses as they please with no way for me to control it besides to approve every single new device manually? I do see an option in my user settings where I can untick "enable access from all devices", but I don't want my users to rely on my approval constantly. I want them to be able to sign in as they please.

What I don't want, is for the first handful of users I invite to gobble up all of my device limits. I would like to reserve the premier device access I am paying for, for my family. And for my invited guest users to have the option to purchase premier themselves if they want to use a premier device. Otherwise, I want them restricted to devices that allow full playback without counting towards my quota.

So...yeah, I guess that's my question. When I start inviting people, are they just going to have free reign to use up my access until it's all gone? What happens when the limit is reached? Will me and my family have no options besides to purchase even more licenses, which will then get eaten up like the other ones without my control?

Any feedback greatly appreciated. 

Hello stealthboy,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

Deathsquirrel
3 minutes ago, stealthboy said:

What I don't want, is for the first handful of users I invite to gobble up all of my device limits. I would like to reserve the premier device access I am paying for, for my family. And for my invited guest users to have the option to purchase premier themselves if they want to use a premier device. Otherwise, I want them restricted to devices that allow full playback without counting towards my quota.

Just to clarify, this isn't like Plex.  Your end users can't buy premiere licenses of their own to use for premiere features on your server. The licensing happens at the server or not at all.  Some clients allow purchase of playback licenses but that doesn't grant the client access to any premiere features other than playback.

• Agree 1

stealthboy
1 minute ago, Deathsquirrel said:

Just to clarify, this isn't like Plex.  Your end users can't buy premiere licenses of their own to use for premiere features on your server. The licensing happens at the server or not at all.  Some clients allow purchase of playback licenses but that doesn't grant the client access to any premiere features other than playback.

Ah, thank you for clarifying. So I guess the answer is indeed that I am going to just have to deal with a "first-come, first-serve" basis for those wanting to use premier devices?

• Solution

Hi, You can control what each and every user has access to on your server so you could keep them from using specific Premiere features such as Live TV. Doing this you could limit their use to free clients or the couple of clients they can purchase for roughly $5/lifetime to use.  That way they would not use any of your Premiere licenses.

You can set stream limits on users as well to help stop them from sharing their login credentials as they end up hurting themselves doing that.
You can restrict users to specific devices which you already found as well.

One of the best methods is to simple rename the device when they login with their name (device menu) so you can see something like "Shield TV - Tom Jones" which makes it easy to see what devices belong to what users. Then go to their access tab in users menu and give them only access on that one device. They will not be able to login on other devices that way using up other licenses.

Any device not used in a week will fall off your license count so keep in mind this is a rolling count of active devices and will not match what you see in the device menu which could be far older than that.

You can also login with all your own devices using a Premiere feature to ensure your own devices get a proper license before you start sharing your server wildly. :)

As a last resort, just so you know there is an option to upgrade to 45 devices lifetime or 45 or 75 devices monthly so keep that in mind if ever needed.
https://emby.media/premiere-ext.html

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

stealthboy
12 minutes ago, cayars said:

Any device not used in a week will fall off your license count so keep in mind this is a rolling count of active devices and will not match what you see in the device menu which could be far older than that.

Oh I didn’t know that — that’s very very good to know thank you!

You will probably find your Premiere count goes a lot further then you think it will.
PC and Mobile Browsers, Roku, Apple TV as well as Smart TVs (LG and Samsung) do not require a Premiere license for playback.  They would only need a Premiere license if they use other Premiere features such as Live TV (refer to matrix) which is easy to control from the Dashboard user access controls.

Users with iOS and Android mobile apps, Android TV and Fire TV apps can purchase an app unlock for full playback and then it would be essentially like the above.
An unlock via an app is good for all devices on the same store account of the same type. As an example if you had 3 Firesticks all logged in with the same email account one unlock is all that's needed for those 3 devices.  The first device unlocks the app while the other devices can restore the license already purchased.

We try to be fair overall on how this works. This gives you a bit more freedom in how you can manage users to maximize your Premiere License.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

stealthboy
38 minutes ago, cayars said:

You will probably find your Premiere count goes a lot further then you think it will.
PC and Mobile Browsers, Roku, Apple TV as well as Smart TVs (LG and Samsung) do not require a Premiere license for playback.  They would only need a Premiere license if they use other Premiere features such as Live TV (refer to matrix) which is easy to control from the Dashboard user access controls.

Users with iOS and Android mobile apps, Android TV and Fire TV apps can purchase an app unlock for full playback and then it would be essentially like the above.
An unlock via an app is good for all devices on the same store account of the same type. As an example if you had 3 Firesticks all logged in with the same email account one unlock is all that's needed for those 3 devices.  The first device unlocks the app while the other devices can restore the license already purchased.

We try to be fair overall on how this works. This gives you a bit more freedom in how you can manage users to maximize your Premiere License.

Thanks so much for breaking it down for me. I feel much better now about everything! 

• Like 1

stealthboy
2 minutes ago, cayars said:

Sure thing.

Thank you for your support!

I am curious about one thing though, If I may? Why is it that Android and Fire smart TVs are consider premier access, but other brands of Smart TV aren’t? What makes them different? Is it something to do with how the app needs developed on those platforms?

No simple answer to that unfortunately as every app store is different.  Each has different requirements, guidelines and ways to handle payments. Some could make trials available while other can't.  Some may allow returns/refunds while others don't. An app store for example could require you have a merchant account setup in different GEO areas in order to do purchases in those areas. If you can't do this you may have to make a choice between all free or only allow distribution in certain countries.  There is no rhyme or reason but each store can be vastly different then others. <-- These are not specifics but just examples to give you an idea of the complexities involved.

The powers that be look at it as a whole and try to make the best decision on a case by case store basis.

Ideally, we would love to have all apps the same but it's just not possible.

• Thanks 1

stealthboy
11 minutes ago, cayars said:

No simple answer to that unfortunately as every app store is different.  Each has different requirements, guidelines and ways to handle payments. Some could make trials available while other can't.  Some may allow returns/refunds while others don't. An app store for example could require you have a merchant account setup in different GEO areas in order to do purchases in those areas. If you can't do this you may have to make a choice between all free or only allow distribution in certain countries.  There is no rhyme or reason but each store can be vastly different then others. <-- These are not specifics but just examples to give you an idea of the complexities involved.

The powers that be look at it as a whole and try to make the best decision on a case by case store basis.

Ideally, we would love to have all apps the same but it's just not possible.

That all makes sense — thanks so much for all the info!

• Like 1