Single navigation key pressing of a BT remote gets multiplied

anhil

I have a TCL 43C725 Android TV which is an European (DVB) version of  the Android TCL television made for the American ATSC market. The Android TV version is 11.

I was not aware that my Android TV would be capable of running Emby for Android as well as Emby for Android TV untill I was told so in another thread. I prefer Emby for Android over Emby for Android TV due to the language limitation which means that Emby for Android inherits the language from Android system settings and this is not selectable within Emby for Android TV app. Lately I have also experienced stuttering in Emby for Android TV when streaming 4k movies within my LAN but that stuttering is not there with Emby for Android. The hardware and connection is the same (WiFi 802.11ac delivering over 200 Mbit/s instead of the crappy 100BASE-TX ethernet provided  by TCL) but I have not bothered to investigate this, since I anyway prefer Emby for Android.

However, just recently I found out, that I have a problem with my Bluetooth remote control TCL RC802V which was provided with the TV along with the regular infrared remote control. Within Emby for Android, if I press any of the navigations keys (UP/RIGHT/DOWN/LEFT) on the BT remote, the application multiplies the pressing by 3x...6x or by even more. This means that is is e.g. impossible to select the movie next to the current one on the desktop etc.

I want to emphasize that this multiplying problem is not there with the regular infrared remote nor in any other Android application, including Emby for Android TV, just in Emby for Android and with the BT remote only.

I am currently running Emby Server 4.17.0.18 for QNAP,  Emby for Android 3.2.27 and Emby for Android TV 2.0.52g

I have not yet bothered to experiment with other app versions but merely would like to hear, if anyone else has stumbled to this kind of a phenomenon.

Edited by anhil
Typo
  • Agree 1

Tried to say "Emby for Android TV inherits the language from Adnroid system " instead of "Emby for Android inherits the language from Android system".
Noticed that error too late and the window for editing was already closed...

No, this multiplication phenomenon is related only to the four navigation keys of the BT remote marked with yellow bounding boxes on the attached picture. All other keys, including the back button (the grey key with arrow pointing to left) work as they should. However, I bet you can imagine, that this makes the BT remote pretty useless for Emby for Android in my TCL.

I even suspected that the new added feature of long pressing the keys would have caused this in my TCL, but reverting back to version 3.2.23 (from 3.2.26/27) changed nothing and the problem was still there.

RC802V.png.20c436a187f583a8afe263fc623b48b4.png

Yes, that is the build 3.2.31 which I already had installed to my TCL. Sadly, it brings no cure to this multiplication problem.

I wonder if this is a particular problem with TCL televisions and their BT remotes. At least no one else has reported anything similar. Or maybe they are perfectly happy with the Android TV version which does not suffer from this problem.

If i have the energy I could download and install some old Emby for Android versions in order to study, has this problem always been there or was it introduced by a certain version 

6 hours ago, anhil said:

Yes, that is the build 3.2.31 which I already had installed to my TCL. Sadly, it brings no cure to this multiplication problem.

I wonder if this is a particular problem with TCL televisions and their BT remotes. At least no one else has reported anything similar. Or maybe they are perfectly happy with the Android TV version which does not suffer from this problem.

If i have the energy I could download and install some old Emby for Android versions in order to study, has this problem always been there or was it introduced by a certain version 

Did you install it again just now?

8 minutes ago, Luke said:

Did you install it again just now?

Yes, although it was preinstalled, I removed the installation and re-installed the apk I downloaded from Dropbox with the link you shared.

On 12/1/2021 at 10:35 AM, anhil said:

I went through a couple of earlier Emby for Android versions all the way to 1 year old 3.1.69. They all behaved similarly with the TCL RC802V BT remote and multiplied  the navigation key key pressings. Consequently, this phenomenon is nothing introduced in any recent build but may have been there since the beginning. In absence of other reports, I may conclude that this is a specific problem plaguing only the  TCL RC802V BT remote.

28 minutes ago, anhil said:

I went through a couple of earlier Emby for Android versions all the way to 1 year old 3.1.69. They all behaved similarly with the TCL RC802V BT remote and multiplied  the navigation key key pressings. Consequently, this phenomenon is nothing introduced in any recent build but may have been there since the beginning. In absence of other reports, I may conclude that this is a specific problem plaguing only the  TCL RC802V BT remote.

That's helpful, thanks for the info.

Well, I have to conclude that there is nothing wrong in my TCL and in its BT remote. I just received the Android TV box MECOOL KM6 Deluxe (a brief review at https://techxreviews.com/mecool-km6-deluxe-tv-box-review/) and with its BT remote the behavior is just like with TCL. However, with MECOOL , if you press one of the four cursor keys and manage hold it down only a few milliseconds, you may fool Emby to interpret this as a single key pressing instead of usual 3-6 pressings. I am this lucky roughly in 1 of 5 tries. Fortunately, I do not need to use Emby for Android with MECOOL but can stick to Emby for Android TV since there are  no similar  language problems I reported in topic https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/103037-emby-app-language-problem/

It seems there is room for some improvement in the way Emby for Android communicates with BT devices...

Just one addition, since I did experiment with G30s Air Mouse (https://www.amazon.com/IHANDYTEC-Control-Control-Buttons-Learning/dp/B085C2BL7J) which uses an USB receiver (just  a propriety RF protocol @ 2.4 GHz and not Bluetooth, as far as I know). The results with Emby for Android match those obtained with BT remotes - the navigation key pressings get multiplied. Hopefully this additional piece of information helps you to identify the problem in the code.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

During the holidays I have had time to play around and made an interesting finding. The whole multiplying phenomenon vanishes as soon as you install the well known Button Mapper app by flar2 (flar2.homebutton) and enable the Button Mapper accessibility service. You do not need to map any keys - just enabling this accessibility service is enough and it instantly fixes the key multiplying phenomenon in Emby for Android. Now we just need the same magic in Emby for Android making even the use of Button Mapper obsolete 🤓

pünktchen

Just saw this thread. This is a long standing issue that i also experience with a Flirc usb dongle that simulates Shield, FireTV or regular keyboard buttons.

I was too eager to report the problem solved with the help of Button Mapper. It did solve it in my TCL 43C725 Android 11 TV but the problem remains in my MECOOL KM6 Deluxe Android TV 10 Box. Maybe it is related to the speed of the CPU of MECOOL which is far beyond that of the TCL 43C725. I will continue to investigate this and maybe need to unlock the advanced features of Button Mapper to make further discoveries...

hstamas

Just wanted to add my voice to this problem.

Exactly the same issue using my Sony A9G. Makes using Emby for Android impossible with a remote.

Well, interesting developments.

After installing 3.2.34 to my  MECOOL KM6 Deluxe TV box running Android TV 10, the multiplying phenomenon disappeared and the factory provided BT remote worked the way it was designed to. I did not even need this Button Mapper to achieve this.

After installing 3.2.34 to my TCL 43C725 TV running Android TV 11, the multiplying phenomenon was still there with the factory provided BT remote control. However installing this Button Mapper I referred before and activating its accessibility service, the multiplying phenomenon yet again disappeared. The same happened also with this third party G30s Air Mouse (works on RF with a receiving USB dongle) . If I disable this accessibility service of Button Mapper, the multiplying phenomenon re-appears with both remotes, factory provided BT and G30S Air Mouse.

8 minutes ago, anhil said:

Well, interesting developments.

After installing 3.2.34 to my  MECOOL KM6 Deluxe TV box running Android TV 10, the multiplying phenomenon disappeared and the factory provided BT remote worked the way it was designed to. I did not even need this Button Mapper to achieve this.

After installing 3.2.34 to my TCL 43C725 TV running Android TV 11, the multiplying phenomenon was still there with the factory provided BT remote control. However installing this Button Mapper I referred before and activating its accessibility service, the multiplying phenomenon yet again disappeared. The same happened also with this third party G30s Air Mouse (works on RF with a receiving USB dongle) . If I disable this accessibility service of Button Mapper, the multiplying phenomenon re-appears with both remotes, factory provided BT and G30S Air Mouse.

What about using the G30S on the MECOOL?

43 minutes ago, Luke said:

Will try that one tomorrow. The clock here In the Eastern European tz tells me it is time to hit the bed... 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Luke said:

I now realized, that I did something wrong in the original tests with 3.2.34, and the correct results should be as follows:

After installing 3.2.34 to my  MECOOL KM6 Deluxe TV box running Android TV 10, the multiplying phenomenon was still there both with the factory provided BT remote and the third party G30s Air Mouse using RF and receiving USB dongle. The Button Mapper did not help.

After installing 3.2.34 to my TCL 43C725 TV running Android TV 11, the multiplying phenomenon was still there with the factory provided BT remote control. However installing this Button Mapper I referred before and activating its accessibility service, the multiplying phenomenon yet again disappeared. The same happened also with this third party G30s Air Mouse. If I disable this accessibility service of Button Mapper, the multiplying phenomenon re-appears with both remotes, factory provided BT and G30S Air Mouse.

In comparison of version 3.2.33 and 3.2.34, there does not seem to be any changes as far as this multiplication phenomenon is concerned.

Sorry for the confusion in the earlier results, I blame the too late time slot selected for testing and the fatigue of the tester 😴