Quest to get Direct Play in Edge Browser..

rbjtech

rbjtech

So in my quest to get Direct Playback of 4K HEVC Content in my browser, I have identified that I need to have AC3 (or I assume AAC) as the first Audio track - ie track 2.

Even if I set the 'Default' Audio track to the AC3 track (other that track 2) it immediately starts transcoding.

Is this a 'browser' limitation (ie it cannot switch Audio Tracks) or is it an Emby web client limitation ?

Other clients all seem to be fine - and will play the 'Default' Audio track regardless of it's real track position.

I tried messing with the headers but that did not seem to work - I'd rather not have to remux my 4K collection to put the AC3 track 'first'... :(

Has anybody else seen this issue or have any workarounds ?

Thanks!

rbjtech
2 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Marmaduke's Chromium...? 

Possibly - but ideally wanna stay on the standard Edge release branch.

I was hoping for a extension setting or something like that .. 🤓 

GrimReaper
18 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Possibly - but ideally wanna stay on the standard Edge release branch.

I was hoping for a extension setting or something like that .. 🤓 

Sure thing, was just throwing a suggestion as per query. I myself have fairly recently switched to MC portable as Emby-client only - have yet to find something that ain't direct playing. 

Edit: Guess you just found me some, went to check few 4K HEVCes with both AAC and AC3 - it's failing on latter. So no joy there. Though my build is several months old 32-bit, maybe there was some progress on current 64-bit version. As maybe there wasn't. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by GrimReaper
Append

rbjtech

Resorted to a quick script .. I'm using mkvmerge with --track-order to (funnily enough..) re-order/re-mux the tracks.    Unfortunately, you can't just use mkvpropedit/header edit - as that doesn't appear to work for the browser .. it can't handle the default Audio track being track 3 for example.