How long can I pause live tv?

farside847

farside847

I have been able to pause and resume live TV through my roku and laptop Web browser, but is there a limit to the length of time it can remain paused?

I am running the latest server with serverwmc.

Thanks!

Spaceboy

There's a registry setting where you can extend the buffer for wmc, I think up to 4 hours. I think serverwmc should just respect that

krustyreturns

Actually serverwmc ignores it completely.  You can pause live tv for as long as you have disk space for.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
farside847

Circling back on this one. It seems somewhere along the line I broke this feature somehow. Sorry, I don't know how, I don't watch live very often anymore. But now when I pause live TV for a bit the steam ends when I start it back up

With NFL starting soon I want to be able to pause live TV again. Am I the only one this is happening to? If so I can start gathering logs.

Thanks!

farside847

Yes, but don't I need to wait for it to end before I can watch it? I would rather watch my games while they are happening :)

krustyreturns

@@farside847

Are you running in dlna mode?  That could be what changed.

Edited by krustyreturns

mjktg99

Actually serverwmc ignores it completely.  You can pause live tv for as long as you have disk space for.

Or as long as you allow a live stream to be active for..

Deihmos

Yes, but don't I need to wait for it to end before I can watch it? I would rather watch my games while they are happening :)

No you don't at least not in WMC. Not sure about serverwmc

Edited by Deihmos

farside847

@@farside847

Are you running in dlna mode? That could be what changed.

Thanks for the reply! I can check tonight. If I disable dlna will it allow me to pause TV like before?

farside847

Did some more testing last night with dlna disabled in wmcserver, and I think this might be roku specific.

When I use the browser client, I can pause live tv for 20 minutes and when I came back it resumed perfectly.

On my roku, if I pause live TV for 1 minute it will resume. But if I pause for 4 minutes it fails to resume and just jumps back to the chanel detail screen.

Could this have something to do with the recent changes that closed roku live TV streams automatically they stay running too long for some reason?

Thanks!

krustyreturns

Yeah sorry, I (at least) have no idea what the roku problem is.  You idea makes sense though.

Pausing on roku and having the stream get killed is resolved for the next server release.