Integration with screensaver, system status, ambient mode not working

gbcox

I've noticed that the music playing isn't showing up as it does with other applications (Plex, Tidal, etc.).

What is suppose to happen is if you go to your profile and music is playing, you see the Album Cover and title.  If the ambient mode is triggered you also should see the album playing there.  I've attached photos from my TV screen so you can see what I'm talking about, since it's a little hard to describe.  You'll notice the album info in both photos.  For profile selection (system settings_ its shown on the right side of the photo, for ambient mode it shown on the lower left.  

emby_ambient.jpg

emby_system_settings.jpg

Was that the correct version for Android TV?  If so, it won't play music at all.  When I click on a title nothing happens.  I backed out to the version I've been using: 2.0.48g, which plays music. 

P.S.  I did some checking and I believe the version you asked me to sideload is already in Google Play... and it's for Android, not Android TV.  It doesn't work correctly with Chromecast / Google TV.  I don't believe that "ambient mode" is a thing with phones or tablets... it's controlled in Google Home and the settings menu I mentioned above is a TV thing with a different menu - so these things are for the Android TV version of emby,  not Android.

Edited by gbcox

17 hours ago, gbcox said:

I did some checking and I believe the version you asked me to sideload is already in Google Play... and it's for Android, not Android TV.  It doesn't work correctly with Chromecast / Google TV.  I don't believe that "ambient mode" is a thing with phones or tablets... it's controlled in Google Home and the settings menu I mentioned above is a TV thing with a different menu - so these things are for the Android TV version of emby,  not Android.

Hi.  I understand but that app will still work on your Android TV device.  Can you try it?

4 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  I understand but that app will still work on your Android TV device.  Can you try it?

You didn't read my entire response.  I said: "It doesn't work correctly with Chromecast / Google TV.  It won't play any music at all.  Additionally, the problem I mentioned isn't fixed.  Ambient mode isn't available or supported on phones or tablets and the Profile / Settings menu is different since ambient mode isn't supported.  The ability to see what is playing when you enter the profile (shown in the photo on my initial post under my profile avatar), because then you can quickly return to what is playing.  As it is now, you have to scroll down, find the emby app and then enter it, then navigate to currently playing with the emby app.  Being able to quickly use the profile method and go directly to it is much much easier and quicker.  As I mentioned, I tested this with PleX and Tidal and verified both support ambient mode and the profile settings. That said, I do prefer your app and implemention over PleX.  Much nicer, just wish the ambient mode/profile stuff worked.

Edited by gbcox

7 hours ago, Luke said:

@gbcox what version number was not playing music?

The Android 3.2.24 version that @ebr asked me to side load to test.  I checked afterwards and saw where Google says that version isn't compatible with Google TV, so I figured that was why it wasn't working correctly.  I went back to the Android TV version and music plays fine, it's just that the integration system settings and ambient mode isn't working, as I mentioned previously.  Apparently going forward all new devices from Google will be using the Google TV interface:  https://www.tomsguide.com/face-off/google-tv-vs-android-tv

14 hours ago, gbcox said:

The Android 3.2.24 version that @ebr asked me to side load to test.  I checked afterwards and saw where Google says that version isn't compatible with Google TV, so I figured that was why it wasn't working correctly.  I went back to the Android TV version and music plays fine, it's just that the integration system settings and ambient mode isn't working, as I mentioned previously.  Apparently going forward all new devices from Google will be using the Google TV interface:  https://www.tomsguide.com/face-off/google-tv-vs-android-tv

Can you try downloading it again and see if it can play now?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

6 hours ago, Luke said:

Can you try downloading it again and see if it can play now?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

No, doesn't work.  Application has to be side-loaded which is a PITA to install and uninstall (it doesn't support "View Details" to uninstall).  Play store says it is incompatible for my device.  I went ahead and sideloaded and same thing, when I select something something to play (either pressing play or shuffle) the screen refreshes and nothing happens.  Maybe you misunderstood my request.  I'm using emby on a Chromecast/GoogleTV not a phone.  The app you are asking me to test with isn't compatible.

Edited by gbcox

Actually it is compatible. The play store only gives you that message because we haven't enabled listing it in the store for TV devices (yet). But that doesn't prevent you from sideloading it.

@FrostByte are you able to play music?

21 hours ago, Luke said:

Actually it is compatible. The play store only gives you that message because we haven't enabled listing it in the store for TV devices (yet). But that doesn't prevent you from sideloading it.

@FrostByte are you able to play music?

We're getting a bit off the subject here.  I'm not talking about the android phone client, but rather about ambient mode and settings not working correctly on Chromecast / Google TV. 

However, regarding the android phone client... it's acting as if my TV were a phone, and doesn't give the same look and feel as the Android TV client.  The "emby Home Favorites etc." stay on the top of the screen as you scroll down on the TV client, on the phone client, it well, works like a phone and when you scroll down the headings scroll out of view. 

I also just reinstalled and checked again, no playback works on the Chromecast / Google TV devices:  Video, TV nor Music. 

I did install the phone app on my phone and it appears to work fine, nicely designed client for a phone - but not for a TV.

Edited by gbcox

I did install the phone app on my phone and it appears to work fine, nicely designed client for a phone - but not for a TV.

Hi, what I'm trying to say is that despite what the app store says, it is designed for a TV. As soon as we check a box to publish it for TV's in the store, that message will go away. It doesn't prevent you from sideloading it and installing it.

Regarding the current TV app, yes we can look into it there as well. Thanks.

7 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, what I'm trying to say is that despite what the app store says, it is designed for a TV. As soon as we check a box to publish it for TV's in the store, that message will go away. It doesn't prevent you from sideloading it and installing it.

Regarding the current TV app, yes we can look into it there as well. Thanks.

Thanks for the reply Luke, but you missed the part where I said that the phone app doesn't work with Google TV. 

Yes, I have sideloaded and installed it.  It doesn't work.  Have you tested this with Chromecast/Google TV?  I saw where you asked @FrostByteabout this.  While he is at it, ask him to test out video and TV also.  If you're intending to consolidate both apps into one, it's definitely not ready.  You need to ensure you keep the features and functionality of the current TV version.    

Edited by gbcox

FrostByte

I'm using the Android app on my Shield for playback of video and music files which works for me.  It may not have some of the features found in ATV yet, but I wouldn't say it doesn't work for what I use it for.  Well, except for dual layer DV I guess which no longer triggers HDR on my Samsung.  I do play a lot of music with the app though because it's the only with which will do gapless playback.

I don't use Chromecast, Ambient mode, or any of the others mentioned.

Edited by FrostByte

no playback works on the Chromecast / Google TV devices:  Video, TV nor Music. 

What exactly happens when you try?

16 hours ago, Luke said:

What exactly happens when you try?

OK, First let me show you what I mean about the interface, and this is just one example, there are many.  Look at the two photos I've attached.  When you scroll down on the Emby TV app, the menu stays at the top of the page, so it can be used.  On the phone version, it disappears.  So, I'm not sure what your aim is here, but if you're looking to merge the two apps into one, it's not ready.

Second, when you try to play something:

1.  The screen quickly flashes and does nothing

2.  The screen goes blank

3.  The screen just shows a spinning pinwheel

As I've tried to communicate before, Android TV is NOT Google TV.  For one, they are running different versions of Android.  Android TV is Android 9, Google TV uses Android 10.  Google TV is the new interface and will be replacing Android TV in 2022.  Here is an article which talks about it:  https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/will-google-tv-replace-android-tv/

As far as devices go, the Chromecast/Google TV is fairly inexpensive, especially now - being Chrismas season and all.  Do you guys not have one to test?  

emby_tv.jpg

emby_phone.jpg

So is it correct that you haven't been able to confirm if the music display works in Ambient mode with the standard app because you have not been able to get that app to play music?

7 hours ago, ebr said:

So is it correct that you haven't been able to confirm if the music display works in Ambient mode with the standard app because you have not been able to get that app to play music?

Correct.  Actually, I can't get it to play anything, it doesn't appear to work with Video (including TV recordings) either. 

• 2 months later...
gbcox
19 hours ago, Luke said:

@gbcox can you please try this again? it is up to 3.2.40+ now. Thanks.

I'm using the TV App, not the phone app.  The phone app lacks the features of the TV app.  Why would I want to use something with less functionality to test out a function that isn't for phones in the first place?   Are you planning on merging the apps?  Have you put the code in the phone app to handle ambient mode? 

And... I just tested 3.2.40 and the same result.  It isn't designed for a TV, it won't play music, it won't play video let alone do ambient mode.  It's getting a little frustrating that you keep pointing me to manually sideload an app that isn't designed for TV to test out a function that is specifically designed for TV.  It isn't meant for phones (except in extremely limited circumstances).  It really shouldn't be that difficult.  Even the Tunein app supports ambient mode perfectly... and it's about as simple of an app as there is.     

Edited by gbcox

• 3 months later...