Book External Metadata File Naming/Structure

Losey
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Recently reset my book & comic library to get it working with the latest version of emby, and noticed that external metadata files aren't being generated for supported files. Tried manually creating/importing nfo, opf, and xml files, but they're either not supported, not being detected, or aren't properly formatted. Any tips? I'm able to edit metadata for the titles, but it clearly isn't being stored in or with the files. Thus far I've tested cbz, epub, and pdf books with manually extracted cover thumbs.

On my home machine, I typically manage my epub books with Calibre (I use the current version), and my cbz books with ComicRack (I don't believe the software's maintained any more, however). While Calibre generates opf metadata files, ComicRack usually stores its metadata of the cb7/cbr/cbt/cbz archive files as an xml archived inside the file. Though I doubt there's time or resources available for emby devs to enable the server software to extract the metadata from these files, I am curious as of what the proper method is since emby's clearly storing the metadata that it does have somewhere (the cache perhaps?).

Of additional minor note, the current metadata for books doesn't seem to include an author tag, so I've been keeping that data in the title. Is that intended to be placed in the Studio tag or something?

Stay awesome!

EDIT: Also, any genre tags on books link to the equivalent Movie genre instead (if they exist). Tags seem to work properly at least.

Edited by Losey
Misbehavior discovered.

• Solution

Hi, we don't support generating metadata files for books at this stage. In fact right now, all metadata has to be provided manually. Our book features are still in very early stages. Thanks.

4 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, we don't support generating metadata files for books at this stage. In fact right now, all metadata has to be provided manually. Our book features are still in very early stages. Thanks.

Thanks for the response! Guess I'll hold off on filling in the metadata on the emby side for now then; not worth the risk of losing it after putting in the time to manually enter it. Better that I just keep using Calibre/ComicRack to hold the info in the meantime.