Emby 1.5.6 on Apple tvOS 15.1.1 multiple problems

ckhan

tvOS: 15.1.1

Emby TV app: 1.5.6

Emby server: 4.4.3 on Synology NAS

Suddenly noticed multiple problems -- they must have started in the last few days because things were fine last weekend:

- Can't connect to server. See my server listed, but I just get a spinner

- Can't delete my server from the connection list -- it's listed but when I click to delete (I thought I'd delete/re-add) nothing happens

- Can't go to the app settings page from inside tvOS: Home -> Settings -> Apps -> Emby --> crash (back to home screen)

- After crashing the app from settings, I can't even start the Emby app -- get stuck on the splash screen.

- If I delete the Emby app and re-install it -- I can then launch the app, still get stuck connecting after I select my server

- In the emby logs, I only see:

2021-11-21 22:14:31.031 Info HttpServer: HTTP GET http://192.168.1.3:8096/emby/system/info/public. UserAgent: Emby/5 CFNetwork/1325.0.1 Darwin/21.1.0
2021-11-21 22:14:31.032 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 200 to 192.168.1.26. Time: 1ms. http://192.168.1.3:8096/emby/system/info/public
2021-11-21 22:14:31.038 Info App: Udp message sent to 192.168.1.26:64181

Server itself is totally fine -- other clients play just fine (including browser, ios)

Any suggestions appreciated.

thanks, 

-ck 

bitterrotten

My TV app started doing the same (but I didn't try to delete the server or have any problems with the settings). Not sure what the tipping point was. 

If you're unaware, we haven't been able to update the emby app via synology in a long time. It's part of their bait and switch business plan to sell you a versatile NAS that can do everything and then deliver an operating system that throws errors because you didn't buy their branded, marked up hard drives.

Griping aside, I've found that moving my config folder & media to an up to date docker container install worked immediately. I had to run the command via ssh but you could probably use portainer too.

Didn't realize couldn't update the server through the Synology package manager. Manually updated to latest version, had to reconfigure everything from scratch (I'm sure if I knew what I was doing I could have preserved the original metadata database/config/etc.). Either way : it still didn't work from AppleTV, until I removed/updated AppleTV app again (now on 1.5.7) -- and now back to normal. Thanks for the suggestion.

strict20

Hello,

I seen to have the same issue: the client doesn't connect to the server. Worked for months, suddenly stopped...? Maybe because of some TvOS update? I also tried to delete and reinstalled the emby client app, same as the original post:
- Can't connect to server. See my server listed, but I just get a spinner
- Can't delete my server from the connection list -- it's listed but when I click to delete (I thought I'd delete/re-add) nothing happens
- same here: "Server itself is totally fine -- other clients play just fine (including browser, ios)"

My setup:
- AppleTV 4K, latest OS
- Emby App installed
- Emby on Synology 4.4.3.0

"If you're unaware, we haven't been able to update the emby app via synology in a long time. "
→ what does theat mean? Can I update it (manually) without loosing all my data?

Thanks!

Unfortunately, when I installed manually, I found myself having to start over from scratch, configure libraries, download metadata, etc.

I don't think that was the intended experience, though. Read through the comments on this thread from Sep 2020 when the new Synology installer was announced as part of 4.5 release. There are some tips in there (like shut down the server before doing the install) that might have correctly preserved the data.

strict20

I manually updated meanwhile to Version  4.6.7.0 on my synology. Also started from scratch... I thought it was an update, but everything was gone.

But: metadata was within the movies and tv shows folders, so it was quite quick. Watchstate came from trakt. So it wasn't to bad. Now I also got the emby premiere and the backup runs automatically.

The issues with the apple tv app are gone for me, works again.