Multiple Displays

ErikaJ

Good Day,

I have a video card that allows me to use multiple displays (up to 6). Is Emby capable of sending the live tv stream to say 3 different displays? More specifically, can Emby send stream from channel 1 to display 1 and channel 2 to display 2 etc.? If so how is it done? Using windows 10 on desktop PC. Thanks in advance.  

GrimReaper

The only way I could think of it would be to open a client (browser session, Theater desktop) on each of those displays and run stream from there. 

But maybe someone has a different idea. 

Happy2Play

In theory yes a browser tab on each screen.  But this all comes back to can the system itself handle this situation of potentially transcoding and playing on the same machine.

Good Day To Both,

Yes, I understand what you are saying on the technical side, but (yes there is usually a "but") that would mean that I would have to have additional PC's (for instance) to accomplish this task. Like I said before my card allows me to have at most 6 displays. 4 displays is normal for this card as it has 4 HDMI outputs so I am able to view 4 distinct sessions of video. However, I am trying to get MB to cast 4 different sessions and when I cast the second session the first session gets canceled out. I have accomplished this task using Quatro Pro and HDHomerun but when it comes to iptv there is no joy. On the day to day viewing live tv I just use 1 monitor but when it come to NFL games on certain days i would like to be able to watch multiple games. I have subscribed to various providers especially those that have a multiple display function but for some reason MB crashes when i open a second session. I also tried using K**** but it gave me the same results.

Commercial businesses/lounges are able to accomplish this but they have a 1 to1 relationship device with their TV which means i would need 4 (at most) devices. What I am trying to figure out is what is the possibility of accomplishing this with 1 device (PC) or at most 2 devices. I have used several HDMI video splitters but again no joy. Anywayz, you get my issue so if anyone has made this work with MB I would be interested in finding out how to go about it. Thanks in advance, cheers mates!! 

Casting consists of both a controller and a receiver using plain wording. You need 4 distinct versions of each.
See where the problem comes into play with casting?

I can think of multiple ways to accomplish this however but it's a bit technical. You could try loading 3 VMs each running Theater setup to use a different monitor.  That gives you 3 receivers you can cast to.  That or just start playing in the VM. Then one Theater for the main screen not running in a VM.

You could try opening up 4 different browsers or combination of browser & Theater, each dragged over to the correct monitor.  If the media will direct play, this may work ok and will be pretty simple all things considered.

You could go a more full proof method by picking up 3 devices that you can actually cast to. I'd likely go with MiBox-S and use Ethernet cables with each. This is a traditional casting environment at that point but you have 3 of them.  The 4th would be controlled from the PC.

What you're not going to be able to do is have one piece of software manage the output to all 4 monitors.

I would do some experimenting when you first set this up.  Try using VLC and just putting one app on each desktop and start playing some media.  How does your video card handle that simple test?

Commercial business don't to this with multiple displays connected to the same graphic card but use dedicated devices hooked up to them or they are connected to coax or IPTV where they pickup a "broadcast" that has been injected.

Good Day,

Thank you for the ideas. I was hoping not to use multiple devices (PC's) for this but I just may have to. Cayars, the information I sent you on a previous issue is one of the applications that allows multiple streaming to one TV/monitor. This may be another solution that I would implement but I was hoping to just use Emby. Also, I used "cast" in error because I meant to say stream. Sorry for the confusion on my part. However, I didn't think of Theater so I will give that a try today. Thanks to all and cheers!

emveepee

With NextPVR as a backend, you can connect ffplay or VLC to as many tuner + multirec mux as you have.  Emby isn't very open to other clients but maybe it provides http playback?  If not start recording one channel and play that recording in an external player.

As for Kodi on linux I have been told that this works https://github.com/crackulator/multi-kodis with NextPVR but I haven't confirmed that.

Martin

Yep, can certainly do that as well. Both Channels DVR and Next PVR can do this.  CDVR will give you both a m3u and xml file you can use in any standard IPTV software so that would works as well but only for Live TV.  For that matter you could do the same thing with multiple app direct streaming from m3u you get from your provider or from a network tuner.

@ErikaJ, sorry I don't remember what application that was you sent me on the previous issue.  Feel free to send it again. :)

Do you have something intentional in mind you're trying to do and just trying to see if Emby would work for this or is this just something you would like to do on Sunday afternoons to have multiple NFL games on (or that type of thing)?  If we know more about the specifics we can probably suggest something vs just throwing out ideas.

Good Day,

Thank you all again for the responses but I believe I have found the answer and it was staring at me in the face all the time. Duh! Instead of have multiple pc's connected to multiple tv's, I can just use a firestick with Emby on each tv and that works. The cost is much cheaper than 3 or 4 pc's and I can control each stream individually. I already have 2 sticks connected 1 upstairs and 1 in the garage and for the life of me I don't know why I didn't think of this before. Thanks again and cheers! 

On 11/21/2021 at 10:49 PM, cayars said:

You could go a more full proof method by picking up 3 devices that you can actually cast to.

I knew I read that somewhere before. :)