User Settings - Server vs Device

Thomas64

Thomas64

Could the way User Settings are handled be changed so that:

1 - Every setting that is changed via the Admin/Server - Users settings page becomes the new default for that particular user (instead of the Emby supplied default).

2 - Any setting that is changed appropriate for an end user to change from within that particular user account being signed in is saved at the local device level, and would be used instead of Server specified defaults.

This wouild:

A - Allow us to adjust the default behavior when NO local settings exist.

B - Still have local device specific settings override what have been set as Server defaults. (Allowing the same User to have different settings per Device - as it is now.)

It doesn't seem like the logic would be that much different than it is now. Assuming if no local settings already exist today, the Server has to pass along what it has them as for a starting point.

The change wouild just be allowing us to alter what any of those base default settings are.

Edited by Thomas64
altered #2
  • Like 18
  • Agree 4

Hi, yes at some point we'll revamp the way we do settings and we'll be able to have these kinds of cascading abilities. Thanks for the feedback.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
CBers

Seeing as my newly posted request has been deemed a duplicate of this and has been locked, how close are to getting this implemented please?

• 2 weeks later...
Rocoteptron

That would be a great feature. Because at the moment every new user has not activated the "backdrop" function by default. It would be very good if I could turn on the "backdrop" feature by default for all users.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
Luan kaique
On 22/11/2021 at 11:25, Luke said:

Olá, sim, em algum momento vamos reformular a maneira como fazemos as configurações e poderemos ter esses tipos de habilidades em cascata. Obrigado pelo feedback.

Teria como ter a opção de colocar quantos dias o usuário pode usar e após esses dias de uso ser bloqueado AUTOMATICAMENTE?

On 22/11/2021 at 11:25, Luke said:

Olá, sim, em algum momento vamos reformular a maneira como fazemos as configurações e poderemos ter esses tipos de habilidades em cascata. Obrigado pelo feedback.

1 hour ago, Luan kaique said:

Teria como ter a opção de colocar quantos dias o usuário pode usar e após esses dias de uso ser bloqueado AUTOMATICAMENTE?

HI, é possível para o futuro, obrigado.

• 4 months later...
chef

Are the user settings saved in local storage on the browser, or are they saved in a user xml somewhere?

15 hours ago, chef said:

Are the user settings saved in local storage on the browser, or are they saved in a user xml somewhere?

It varies per option.

• 2 months later...
Spritzup

I'd like to lend my support to this idea, specifically the ability to have collections show by default or not, see here -->

• 5 months later...
warrentc3

100%

Sometimes it's an adventure just to help some family get logged in when I'm not physically there.  Let alone the needful tweaking of some of the UI elements and transcode settings to ensure a consistent experience.

At least being able to do things like disabling direct play of live tv at a server level... is a sorely needed option.

• 3 months later...
OnyxUK

i will re quote 

Hey i have tried looking but cant see anyone asking for this yet unless i have missed it somewhere. would it be possible to have an added control to the admin pre-sets for other users for the way there layout is set up. this would be for users that use the tv mode vertical or horizontal. 

currently admins can pre-setup certain configurations for users but one that cant be done is to have a default setting for horizontal or vertical layouts.

@Luke 

Hi, currently you can set settings on the server that are saved across devices.

The layout is device specific as you may want it set differently on various screens. So that’s why you don’t see it there.

yes i know you can set certain settings but no all of these work and the only one that isnt available is to change the vertical or horizontal settings. i personally dont see the need to have settings different on 3 tv's because they are different devices? surely it would make more sense to have a phone, tablet, tv, web and theatre. also just to add that users can change the settings anyway when they launch the app if they wish too but all my family like the horizontal layout as it feels less cluttered and to set this on the admins end will save me so much time trying to change or explain on how to  change it 

Onyx :)

Actually the horizontal home screen option is already saved across devices for each user, so you're good to go there.

• Like 1