Samsung 'TV 2016' Tizen can't connect

CharlieMurphy
Go to solution Solved by SamES,

CharlieMurphy

Other devices on the same WiFi network can connect. Server is set to only allow secure connections. I'm using NGINX reverse proxy with a cert from Let's Encrypt. A different Samsung TV has no trouble, but it identifies itself as 'TV 2018'.

Is the 2016 Tizen TV too old to accept my Let's Encrypt cert?

Thanks!

• Solution

Samsung pushed out a firmware update this week for many models, including my 2017 model which hasn’t had an update for about 2 years. No release notes of course but I wonder if they have updated root certificates.   I say this as I’m surprised your 2018 tv is still working fine with Let’s Encypt. 

Have you checked if there are any firmware updates for the 2016 tv?

Short answer is yes, I expect you are correct with regards to the older model not supporting the newer let’s encrypt certificates  

Other users with older model TVs have had success using ZeroSSL if that is an alternative for you 

• Thanks 1

CharlieMurphy
20 hours ago, SamES said:

Other users with older model TVs have had success using ZeroSSL if that is an alternative for you

I use 'SWAG' reverse proxy container from Linuxserver.io. It was actually very simple to switch from Let's Encrypt to ZeroSSL and that actually worked with the Samsung TV (TV 2016)!

Thank you both for the support!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1