Emby Server not accessible after update to 4.6.6.0

bloemb
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Hi there

I just updated Emby Server on my QNAP from 4.6.4.0 to 4.6.6.0 and now I can't access the webserver anymore. using http and on port 8096 is giving me a white page with "forbidden" and using https on port 8920 is not loading at all. I never had update problems before. my QNAP is still running on 4.5.4.1741

I already tried reinstalling the update but the problem is still there.

thanks for your help

cheers

Patrick

@cayars i'm guessing his network settings (restrictions) are causing the forbidden response. He may need help reverting them to default by editing the server config file.

@bloemb I'd like to remote into your desktop computer and have a look at this with you if possible.
Send me a PM if this is something you would like to do and we can try and get this taken care of quickly.

Carlo

51 minutes ago, cayars said:

@bloemb I'd like to remote into your desktop computer and have a look at this with you if possible.
Send me a PM if this is something you would like to do and we can try and get this taken care of quickly.

Carlo

Hey Carlo

I wrote you a PM. I'm online for another hour.

cheers

Patrick

Hi, I don't recall the exact location on qnap where this is but if you know where Emby is installed there will be a config directory with system.xml in it.
What I'd suggest doing is renaming that file to system2.xml and then try starting Emby up again.
If it starts and you get the web interface it will act like a new configuration/setup so don't let that scare you.  Fill out just enough information to get to the Dashboard but don't configure anything else like libraries.  Once you get to the Dashboard, shut Emby Server down.

Now you will have a system.xml (the new one that works) and your old system2.xml file.  Just look for anything that could cause the problem, which would likely be IP address, ports, domains, certs but most likely it's going to be an IP setting.  It might take you a couple of tries but you should figure out what the issue was pretty quickly.
BTW, besides renaming the system.xml to system2.xml file I would also make a copy or two while trying to fix this as it can get easy to loose track of what changes you've made. :)

If you are able to install 4.6.4 or 4.6.5 and get that to work you can look up the path to Emby Server right on the dashboard.  If not "system.xml" may be a bit common to search for but you can find your Emby Server data folder by doing a "find / -name library.db" type search.  Both data and config are next to each other under the main Emby Server parent.

Carlo

hi Carlo

I think i found out what the issue is...

My NAS has two Network adapters, one is 10Gb/s the other 1Gb/s. I deleted the system.xml and was able to access emby again. But on the login page, the Users did not show up again. After some research i figured out that on my users, I configured for my users "hide user from loginscreen on remote connections" (my emby is german so the actual setting name in english might be different). I don't use remote connection, that's why I might have enabled that option at some point. So I thought, since I was connecting to emby using the IP of the 10Gb/s interface, that this is beeing recognized as a WAN connection... Also in my old system.xml, i have   <EnableRemoteAccess>false</EnableRemoteAccess>

that's why I got the forbidden message. when I login to emby with the new system.xml using the 1Gb/s inteface IP, I see all my Users on the login page. that was the final prove that my 10Gb/s connection was recognized as WAN.

For me, the solution is clear, I just put my LAN IP ranges into the network configuration page. But I thought this information might help you in future cases or maybe this is something you might be able to fix. I dont know if there are many people using emby on a QNAP with multiple network adapters 😉

thank again!

cheers

Patrick

PS: I also saw that the option <SortRemoveWords> contained more words after recreating the system.xml. so the upgrade process didn't add them properly. Also, in german the word "die" is missing. no Idea if this will have impact on movies like "Die Hard" 😉

before:

<SortRemoveWords>
    <string>the</string>
    <string>a</string>
    <string>an</string>

after:

<SortRemoveWords>
    <string>the</string>
    <string>a</string>
    <string>an</string>
    <string>das</string>
    <string>der</string>
    <string>el</string>
    <string>la</string>

Happy2Play
13 hours ago, bloemb said:

no Idea if this will have impact on movies like "Die Hard" 😉

It would remove it just like removing "a" affects "A.I. Artificial Intelligence".  So these movies have to have a Sort Name or they will not be where you expect them to be.  As my example would be in "I" instead of "A", so "Die Hard" would be found under "H".

• Solution

A 4.6.7 release is also on it's way up and should be up for QNAP shortly. Please also try that once available. You may not need to edit config files with that one. Thanks.

20 hours ago, Luke said:

A 4.6.7 release is also on it's way up and should be up for QNAP shortly. Please also try that once available. You may not need to edit config files with that one. Thanks.

Hi Luke

thanks for letting me know. I removed the manual local network configuration, updated to 4.6.7.0 and access on both network interfaces is still working!

I just deleted Emby from my QNAP and manually installed the latest version. Starting over from scratch. Hopefully future updates go more smoothly. 

11 hours ago, Curtz said:

I just deleted Emby from my QNAP and manually installed the latest version. Starting over from scratch. Hopefully future updates go more smoothly. 

Hi, before going to that extreme I generally would try rebooting the NAS after updating. Glad you're back up and running though. Thanks.