Problem: since server update no user selection anymore (AndroidTV)

stonehead
Go to solution Solved by stonehead,

stonehead

Problem:

Since the latest Emby Server Windows 10 update a few days ago, I have on all my Nvidia Shield devices no user selection screen anymore. The only options are "manual", "connect" or "server change". So every user have to do a manual login with password, altough the user account are set that no password is required on local network.

My setup:
Local network with a Windows 10 server running Emby Server (4.6.6.0). Four Nvidia Shields in the same network connected to this server, having the Emby Anroid TV app installed (2.0.48g registered).

User setup and settings:
Multiple users that in the local network are visible users (visible tiles on user selection screen) and no password is required to access the Emby server in the local network.

Behaviour before the latest Server update:
Started the Emby app on Shield and user selection screen showed up, the user selected his user tile and got immediate access to the libraries (no password required).

What I have tried to fix::
- Deinstalled Emby Android TV app on each Shield, reinstalled, unfortunately issue remains
- Checked if this error can be replicated by accessing the server by a browser. Here it does work as it should, it shows a user selection screen with tiles you click on one and you get immediate access. That means this issue could be App specific, however Android App hasn't been updated since weeks and the only update that happened the last few days has been the Server update which and the timing matches with the first appearance of my issue. 

Could you please have a look at it. Thanks.

Hello stonehead,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

GrimReaper

Just came from a topic with the exact same issue, but on a different-platform server:

My guess would be it is client-specific issue, seeing it occurs on two different systems, but @ebr would need to revert on that.

Are you running stable or beta Android TV app build?

stonehead

I'm running stable Android TV app build on all devices. These four Shields systems are just used for that purpose they are running standard (automatic updates on), installing and accessing just apps available on the store. No dev mode, no bypass installation etc.

rbjtech

edit - sorry I misread your comments, this looks to be a emby server issue, not a Windows issue.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Agree 1

stonehead

@GrimReaper

I did a test with an Android smartphone (Emby for Android 3.2.26) and iPhone smartphone (Emby for iOS 2.0.10) both worked as they should. User tiles showed up and when selecting the user no password required.

GrimReaper
1 minute ago, stonehead said:

@GrimReaper

I did a test with an Android smartphone (Emby for Android 3.2.26) and iPhone smartphone (Emby for iOS 2.0.10) both worked as they should. User tiles showed up and when selecting the user no password required.

Noted, thanks for confirming. In that case we're back to:

1 hour ago, GrimReaper said:

My guess would be it is client-specific issue, seeing it occurs on two different systems

Save sideloading standard Android app (to see whether is it maybe device-related), Dev's input is required. 

• Solution
stonehead

@GrimReaper

For me the maybe device-related issue doesn't make any sense, since the only change that recently happened was on the server side with the update.

So I had a flash thought to check network and network settings on Emby. As I have two VLAN one masked with 192.168.1.0/24 (Server) and the other with 192.168.40.0/24 (Shields), I configured in the Emby network settings that 192.168.40.0/24 should be seen as "local". However, I checked it now and the IP list for "local" networks was empty, I added it again and the issues is solved. It seems this entry didn't make it through the update then.

Sorry for not have earlier re-checked and verified Network settings on the Emby server I haven't had to do it so far when a server upgrade has been installed. Anyway I would like to thank you for your guidance, patience and quick reply. I really appreciate. Enjoy your weekend.

• Like 1

GrimReaper

So, it was kinda device-related, just that those devices were on different subnet, as sideloaded app would have yielded same results, it being considered "remote", so we would probably eventually come to your Network settings. 😉

Anyway, glad you sorted it out, all peachy now, do enjoy. 

Cheers

rbjtech

Any reason why your emby server does not have a direct interface to the 192.168.40.0/24 network ?  I presume you currently have to route all the media traffic through an L3 switch and/or firewall ?

I do the same, keep my media network on a separate vlan/subnet, but I also ensure the emby server is on that network itself - or I'd have to route it all..   I also like you, add my other local vlan's to emby as 'local' networks as they may need to connect to emby.  (the RFC 1918 scope listed in the description for this function,  does not appear to work unless you enter them manually ..)

Edited by rbjtech

stonehead

@rbjtech

That's correct currently all the media traffic have to be routed through a firewall (pfsense). There is no specific reason just legacy architecture that I'm working on to get rid off and to optimize step by step. Emby Server and it's data storage pool will be a dedicated system and if done there is no reason anymore why it shouldn't be directly connected to the VLAN that accesses it the most.