Made mistake of updating to 4.6. please send me 4.4.3.0-1 again...

smernt
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

So I realised today that Emby on my Synology DS218+ was 'stuck' on 4.4.3.0-1 while there were newer versions out. Figured it was best to keep it up to date so I installed 4.6.6.0 over the top of it.... Then the problems began.

Mainly the issue is with RTM not working, which after researching all day, I've now seen a lot of people reporting. I never had a single issue with that back in version 4.4.3.0-1, so I'd like to go back to that again, but I can't see where to find older packages?

Currently none of my libraries are updating via RTM, I either have to manually trigger it or do it on a schedule.

Things I've tried to do to fix it:

- Increasing the inotify watches number based on this:
- Uninstalling completely, then re-storing from a backup (from the server config plugin)
- Making a new library with a new path with RTM enabled, adding a file to it to see if RTM works there... nope.
- Giving the 'emby' user full read/write access to the library folders.

None of these things worked, so I figured it's best to just try and drop back to 4.4.3.0-1 and see if that fixes it as it seems that everyone with this error happened to get it after upgrading to 4.5 & beyond.

Happy2Play

Yes package center stopped being updated about that time.  But is being updated in DSM 7 again I believe.

The RTM inotify issue is a platform OS issue not a Emby server issue.

But unless you are doing a complete clean reinstall I would expect issues with a downgrade. But release versions are on GitHub.

Release 4.4.3.0 · MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases (github.com)

Majority of uses have no issues with this either method of updating inotify.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/102336-real-time-monitoring-not-working/&tab=comments#:~:text=%24 sudo sysctl -w fs.inotify.max_user_watches%3D204800

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/90708-real-time-monitoring-seems-broken/page/9/&tab=comments#comment-939857

Ok, so I did a complete re-install of 4.6.6.0 to test this out. I uninstalled the package, then removed both the 'emby' user & the 'emby' shared folder it creates. Rebooted & reinstalled 4.6.6.0

Set up two new libraries with new paths & nothing in them. Added a movie to the movie library. Nothing. Did a manual scan & it picked up the movie straight away.

See log attached (4.6.6.0).

Because that didn't work, I did the exact same thing but installed 4.4.3.0 instead. But it seems to have the exact same result (see log attached - 4.4.3.0)... I've literally not changed anything else, DSM hasn't updated etc, so I have no idea what the problem is.

Please help!

Here's my system info
image.thumb.png.672726cb2ca689c83f9a2b306d1df9cb.png

embyserver-4.6.6.0.txt embyserver-4.4.3.0.txt

Edited by smernt

• Solution
Happy2Play

Pretty sure this is mentioned in other topic but the recycle bin stops RTM from continuing.

Error LibraryMonitor: Error watching path: /volume1/02_TVShows
System.UnauthorizedAccessException: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path '/volume1/02_TVShows/#recycle' is denied.

Error LibraryMonitor: Error watching path: /volume2/01_Movies
System.UnauthorizedAccessException: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path '/volume2/01_Movies/#recycle' is denied.

4.4.3.0 similar permissions issues

Error HttpServer: Error processing request
System.UnauthorizedAccessException: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path '/volume2/01_Movies' is denied.

Error LibraryMonitor: Error watching path: /volume2/01_Movies
System.UnauthorizedAccessException: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path '/volume2/01_Movies/#recycle' is denied.

4 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Pretty sure this is mentioned in other topic but the recycle bin stops RTM from continuing.

Ok, so I've just changed the permissions for the recycle bin and that seems to have fixed it! However, I know for sure that my setup before i updated had the same kind of restricted recycle bin but it still worked. So not sure what caused the change.

1 hour ago, Luke said:

Are you all set now?

Hey, yes thank you. It must have been related to the bug I've seen referenced a lot (since yesterday after coming across it myself anyway!) where it messes up paths or something. In my previously working setup the recycle bins were set to 'admin only', but everything worked just fine. Since updating, and subsequently reverting back to the version I was on & then back to the updated version again, no matter what, it wouldn't work unless the recycle bins were set to be open for all users.

So with that change it's working now, but no idea why that had to change.