cannot connect to Emby outside my home

danpol

Did you follow their directions to setup your private network, create users, set permissions?
This is why I said it can be a little touch to get setup if you've never done this before but nearly everyone can follow the directions they give. If you've ever setup a VPN, router, network cards that helps a lot to understand some of the language. :)

https://www.zerotier.com/download/
https://zerotier.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/SD/pages/8454145/Getting+Started+with+ZeroTier

https://tailscale.com/kb/

@cayars I ended up getting Tailscale to work with Emby by adding the TailScale assigned IP as Emby's External Domain under the "Network" settings on my Emby Admin panel. Now I'm able to connect to Emby remotely!

Was this the correct way of doing this?'

• Like 1

Happy2Play
10 minutes ago, mmcwill said:

@cayars I ended up getting Tailscale to work with Emby by adding the TailScale assigned IP as Emby's External Domain under the "Network" settings on my Emby Admin panel. Now I'm able to connect to Emby remotely!

Was this the correct way of doing this?'

Yes if Emby wasn't showing correct external ip you would need to do this.  But the issue is if that address changes.

• Like 1

Yes that's perfect and it should now just work for you.

@Happy2Play Each person get's their own IP that is reserved for them from a 10.x address pool.
It's basically a static IP for all practical purposes.

• 1 month later...
Fretawekakoep

Hi @cayars@Luke  @ebr

I've read this entire topic and followed all the appropriate steps mentioned in here but I’m still experiencing similar issues with remote connections. My Emby server running on my local PC was working fine remotely until a few days ago.

The only thing that changed as far as I know was an update to the statistics plugin and an extension called image enhancement - uninstalled both but without luck.

I've included the log file and some pictures from my router portforward settings and tracert results. I used to have a DNS name domain in place but removed those settings from the network tab - still not able to reach the server via the Emby mobile app. Also succesfully checked my port via canyouseeme.org with the WAN address shown in Emby.

Server is still working fine locally - just suddenly stopped working remotely and I don’t really know how else I could troubleshoot this. Even rebuilt my library as suggested somewhere on this forum, I assumed maybe a power outage or sudden interuption of the server that might cause this behavior but unfortunately without result. Would really appreciate the support here! Many thanks

Edited by GrimReaper
Attachments removed as per user request

Happy2Play
16 minutes ago, Fretawekakoep said:

Hi @cayars

I've read this entire topic and followed all the appropriate steps mentioned in here. My Emby server running on my local PC was working fine remotely until a few days ago.

The only thing that changed as far as I know was an update to the statistics plugin and an extension called image enhancement - uninstalled both but without luck.

I've included the log file and some pictures from my router portforward settings and tracert results. I used to have a DNS name domain in place but removed those settings from the network tab - still not able to reach the server via the Emby mobile app. Also succesfully checked my port via canyouseeme.org with the WAN address shown in Emby.

Server is still working fine locally - just suddenly stopped working remotely. Also rebuilt my library as suggested somewhere on this forum, I assumed maybe a power outage or sudden interuption of the server that might cause this behavior but unfortunately without result. Would really appreciate the support here! Many thanks

embyserver.txt 52.92 kB · 0 downloads

52069164-DFBF-483E-9363-F42EB98CCE4D.jpeg

570FA3C0-B493-4134-B60D-A40FA94A57B1.jpeg

I am a little confused as your server is reporting 2 local addresses.  But would appear listening on both.

Detected local ip addresses: 192.168.0.237, 192.168.0.222,

2022-04-21 21:09:41.775 Info App: Init BeginReceive on 192.168.0.237
2022-04-21 21:09:41.775 Info App: Init BeginReceive on 192.168.0.222

Have you tried forwarding the .222 address also?

I would disable Port Mapper also.  Can disable on Emby Network menu or uninstall plugin.

@cayarsis that a double NAT with the first two addresses being gateway .1 addresses in the tracert?

• Thanks 1

Fretawekakoep
45 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

I am a little confused as your server is reporting 2 local addresses.  But would appear listening on both.

Detected local ip addresses: 192.168.0.237, 192.168.0.222,

2022-04-21 21:09:41.775 Info App: Init BeginReceive on 192.168.0.237
2022-04-21 21:09:41.775 Info App: Init BeginReceive on 192.168.0.222

Have you tried forwarding the .222 address also?

I would disable Port Mapper also.  Can disable on Emby Network menu or uninstall plugin.

@cayarsis that a double NAT with the first two addresses being gateway .1 addresses in the tracert?

Hi there - appreciate the reply. 
after running an ipconfig:

192.168.0.222 is my WIFI adapter

192.168.0.237 ethernet port 

I’ll make those changes as suggested and will report back! Many thanks 

seanbuff

Also your screenshot indicates you have forwarded port 8086, but Emby is running on 8096.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Fretawekakoep
26 minutes ago, seanbuff said:

Also your screenshot indicates you have forwarded port 8086, but Emby is running on 8096.

Cant believe i overlooked something so simple - thank you so much!!

Are you all set now @Fretawekakoep? Changing the port for 8086 to 8096 as well as disabling the wifi adapter should be all you need to do assuming everything else is set correctly.
You can uninstall the port mapping plugin as well since you are using manual port forwarding (best method).

If you're still having any issues let us know,

Carlo

• Thanks 1

Fretawekakoep
2 minutes ago, cayars said:

Are you all set now @Fretawekakoep? Changing the port for 8086 to 8096 as well as disabling the wifi adapter should be all you need to do assuming everything else is set correctly.
You can uninstall the port mapping plugin as well since you are using manual port forwarding (best method).

If you're still having any issues let us know,

Carlo

Yes, everything is working fine again - thank you for the support!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
fuorigioco1971

after a while when wan ip (public ip) changed i suddenly cant access my server from outside my home.if i buy emby premiere or unlock emby app individually will it fix the problem or i have to do something with dynDNS?

41 minutes ago, fuorigioco1971 said:

after a while when wan ip (public ip) changed i suddenly cant access my server from outside my home.if i buy emby premiere or unlock emby app individually will it fix the problem or i have to do something with dynDNS?

Hi this is not related to Premiere.  If your public IP changes then it would be best to have a domain name but the server should see the update eventually.

• Like 1

fuorigioco1971

i have set up a domain and from  the app its ok.but from another pc outside my house what address i type on a browser so i see my library like from the app?

52 minutes ago, fuorigioco1971 said:

i have set up a domain and from  the app its ok.but from another pc outside my house what address i type on a browser so i see my library like from the app?

http://{ip}:port

Your server dashboard also displays this information. If you're adding a DDNS you can set this in Emby Server network settings so that the domain name will be your remote address.

• Like 1