cannot connect to Emby outside my home

danpol

GrimReaper

Those all appear correct, as nothing obvious stands out, I've pinged @cayars for remote session support once he finds the time. 

Edited by GrimReaper
Typo

cannot connect from outside my home network 

tried to connect using mobile data on my phone just won't connect

it sees the shield server but get error connection failure

GrimReaper
11 minutes ago, danpol said:

it sees the shield server

That would imply your remote connection is likely working, but you cannot login - which would mean a different issue, and different approach, by proxy. 

Does your user have Remote access enabled in User settings? 

Edit: have you tried connecting directly to remote IP, not using Connect? 

Edited by GrimReaper
Afterthough

GrimReaper
Just now, danpol said:

allow remote connections to this server is ticked

There's also a per-user setting, go to Users tab, edit any user, there's a checkbox for "Allow remote connections to this Emby server".

I have just setup Emby about a week ago so I have not added users until I myself can connect remotely and my user profile has "allow remote connections to this Emby server" ticked

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Happy2Play
12 hours ago, danpol said:

Update on this problem

still not working 

cayars done a remote connection but unfortunately no joy

This suggests something is preventing the connection on open port as it the connection is being reset.

image.png.639483f2be4d4eb6a18cba8adbcf4195.png

Happy2Play
11 hours ago, evermore said:

I can't connect either..

I state that I have already tried to detach and reattach server and connection ... Unfortunately even if before it connected without problems .. Now It Gives Me Error

What steps have you taken?

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001849007-connectivity#:~:text=your home network.-,External Connections,-Emby Server also

On 12/6/2021 at 8:18 AM, danpol said:

Update on this problem

still not working 

cayars done a remote connection but unfortunately no joy

@cayars

I apologize, as I don't remember exactly what you're issue was, but if we didn't solve it, that would almost surely be a CGNAT situation from your ISP (but we can work around that) or more likely a couple of routers inline (NAT) and we didn't have the password available to make an adjustment to the first router.

Do either of those sound familiar?
If not, I'd be happy to take another quick look to see what the issue was.

If you know how, you can open a command prompt and type from your PC
tracert 8.8.8.8

That will show us each step a packet takes on the way out of our network. If there are two routers inline they will usually show up doing that.  Same with an ISP CGNAT.
If you send it to me via PM I can take which is probably better than posting it in the forum as it may contain your external IP.

The other thing you can tell us that will normally rule out CGNAT situations is if the IP address shown on the Dashboard for remote matches the IP you see at canyouseeme.org.
So are they the same IP or different?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

That's strange.  If can you see me shows 8096 as open that would seem to indicate it's working.  But If I wasn't able to help you previously that tells me this is far more involved.

Do you by any chance have two routers in line? Perhaps and ISP mode/router and then your own?  Or a router and an WIFI access connect to it?

From your server if you drop to a command line and type tracert 8.8.8.8 what do you get?  For Mac it might be traceroute vs tracert.

You should see the first set of numbers (your lan) of numbers as 192, 10 or 172. Paste the results of this right up to the point the next entry does not start with any of those 3 numbers as that will be your public IP info. Or just PM me the full result.

Depend on what we find we may be able to fix this if it's dual routers but you'll need to be able to log into both devices.
If that is not the problem we may have to use a different solution.  That solution depends on your need.  If you want remote access just for yourself or family members the solution is simple (install ZeroTier or TailScale) as a private VPN solution so only you have access to your devices.  If you need remote access for extended family or friends it's a much more complex issue to solve correctly with a relay server which typically will cost a few bucks a month.

• 1 month later...
Calmac83
On 08/12/2021 at 09:19, cayars said:

I apologize, as I don't remember exactly what you're issue was, but if we didn't solve it, that would almost surely be a CGNAT situation from your ISP (but we can work around that) or more likely a couple of routers inline (NAT) and we didn't have the password available to make an adjustment to the first router.

Do either of those sound familiar?
If not, I'd be happy to take another quick look to see what the issue was.

If you know how, you can open a command prompt and type from your PC
tracert 8.8.8.8

That will show us each step a packet takes on the way out of our network. If there are two routers inline they will usually show up doing that.  Same with an ISP CGNAT.
If you send it to me via PM I can take which is probably better than posting it in the forum as it may contain your external IP.

The other thing you can tell us that will normally rule out CGNAT situations is if the IP address shown on the Dashboard for remote matches the IP you see at canyouseeme.org.
So are they the same IP or different?

Thanks

Hi, 

I live in a rural location and have to use a 4G router for my home internet. Because it is a mobile ISP that I am using, my WAN address is hidden behind CGNAT. You mention in the above, that you have a workaround for this. Please can you tell me what the workaround is so I can connect remotely to the server. 

Many Thanks.