cannot connect to Emby outside my home

danpol

hi 

I'm having trouble connecting to Emby from outside my home 

I tried canyouseeme.org and port 8096 is visible but 8920 is not

thanks

ok I tried to port forward but can't get it to work 

router says 

The specified port(s) are being used by other configurations. Please check your configurations of USB Readyshare, Remote Management, Port forwarding, Port Triggering, UPnP Port Mapping table, RIP, and Internet connection type

any ideas

thanks

Hi.  What I see there is that you have forwarded 8920 externally to 8096 internally.  Is that really what you wanted to do?  Probably not...

You should have two rules - one for each of those ports.

GrimReaper

You should forward 8096->8096 and 8920->8920. If you don't have SSL setup, first rule will suffice. 

Edit: If you followed the link Dev pointed you to, eventually you would've come to:

Setup Port Forwarding

If you're unable to connect after testing the above settings with automatic port mapping, then you may need to setup port forwarding manually with your router to allow external connectivity to your Emby Server.

To do this, turn off the "Enable automatic port forwarding" option just set and open the web interface for your router. You will need to forward TCP Port 8096 on your router to port 8096 on the Emby Server machine. Do the same for port 8920 as well (if using SSL).

Edited by GrimReaper
KB Quote

GrimReaper
5 minutes ago, danpol said:

I'm sorry but I don't know how to do that

thanks anyway

I'll try again some other time

Sorry, what do you mean you don't know? In above rule you posted screenshot of, just replace 8920 with 8096? And change to TCP. 

Edited by GrimReaper
Took a better look at the screenshot
  • Like 1

GrimReaper
Just now, danpol said:

ok did that do I restart router then

Don't know your exact model, but that should not require router restart. Make sure it's a TCP rule, though. 

• Like 1

Happy2Play
6 hours ago, danpol said:

I'm sorry but I don't know how to do that

thanks anyway

I'll try again some other time

Who created this rule?

1862838167_Screenshot2021-11-19at16_42_04.png.2c5409dc42517b159274da6adc1b5781.png

But if you select that rule and click edit service you can fix it as you mapped external to internal port incorrectly as they should be the same.

12 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

as you mapped external to internal port incorrectly as they should be the same

Well, they don't have to be the same but, in this case, I'm pretty sure what you have there is not what you wanted.

15 minutes ago, danpol said:

what should it be

Well that depends on your network setup, but for most, there should be one rule for 8096 -> 8096, and then another for 8920 -> 8920

GrimReaper

Yeah, that appears OK. Do you have any security software running? Have you checked your firewall settings? 

GrimReaper

Could you share a screenshot of your server Dashboard and server Network settings tab, from your browser? You can mask remote address. Thanks. 

Edited by GrimReaper
Typo