no HDR switch on AppleTV

schlenzie

schlenzie

Hi, i have read the topic here before, but unfortunately I can't find it again. Therefore I post it again. Maybe it can be moved to the right thread:

Another problem is that the AppleTV Emby app does not automatically switch to HDR or Dolby Vision. The Emby app on the TV directly switches automatically. At the same time I noticed the same problem on a Telekom Magenta One (Android TV box) as well. Here is the same problem with HDR. Here, however, I can force HDR globally and then the movie is also shown in Dolby Vision. Whether this is a beta problem, I can unfortunately not say.

Edited by schlenzie

• 2 months later...
RanmaCanada

If you want proper HDR and DolbyVision support buy Infuse.  The dev team is trying hard as they get hounded agressively daily (I'm not a dev but an irate user myself), but it's obviously a monumental task.

We'd have to look at an example, but this should be improved following the Emby Server 4.7 release as well as release of the updated Emby Apple TV app. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
tsheley
On 2/15/2022 at 11:12 AM, Luke said:

We'd have to look at an example, but this should be improved following the Emby Server 4.7 release as well as release of the updated Emby Apple TV app. Thanks.

Just wondering if there are any updates on this? Still doesn’t seem to do that switch to HDR or Dolby Vision on the AppleTV. Thanks

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I am on latest Emby server to date and just tested this on the brand new ATV 4K Gen 3, it seems Dolby Vision switch is still not working? I am getting pink/green image.

56 minutes ago, mbguy said:

I am on latest Emby server to date and just tested this on the brand new ATV 4K Gen 3, it seems Dolby Vision switch is still not working? I am getting pink/green image.

HI, it should be improved with the next update to the Emby Apple TV app. Thanks.

vdatanet
2 hours ago, kalg said:

Do you mean next apple update has HDR and Dolby Vision switching and not letting mpv do tone mapping????

Only using native player in MP4 container

RanmaCanada
On 22/11/2022 at 09:53, EddyMerkxs said:

Wow I wish I could play HDR mkvs 

Stop using crApple devices and you're problem would be solved.  Or buy Infuse.  I've told all my Apple TV users to stop complaining at this point and replace their devices if they want a proper viewing experience.  Not that hard with 4k Firesticks going for $25.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, RanmaCanada said:

Stop using crApple devices and you're problem would be solved.  Or buy Infuse.  I've told all my Apple TV users to stop complaining at this point and replace their devices if they want a proper viewing experience.  Not that hard with 4k Firesticks going for $25.

"Crapple"? Good one.

I totally agree about ATV, it's navigation, remote, menu etc are the most non-intuitive out of all the streaming boxes I have used, which includes Roku, Shield Pro, Fire Cubes. 

But out of all streaming devices, it's the only one that supports the Telus Optik app, which is not available on other platforms like Fire or Android/Google TV.

Since there is no option to switch provider as I am in a contract so I am stuck with TvOS.

Sure, I don't mind paying for Infuse but all my libraries and customizations are setup on Emby, so I don't want to lose the "Emby experience."

In this case, I guess I am back to "complaining" since "requesting for a feature" equals to complaining 😂

Edited by mbguy

EddyMerkxs
10 hours ago, RanmaCanada said:

You could always just buy a firestick 4k?  Or a Firecube?  Nothing wrong with having 2 devices.

Those devices are laggy adware. No thank you. 

• Agree 1

vdatanet
2 hours ago, EddyMerkxs said:

I have an Nvidia Shield next to my Apple TV. All my needs are covered, Apple TV for streaming services and Nvidia Shield for local media.

RanmaCanada
3 hours ago, EddyMerkxs said:

Someone obviously doesn't have a pi-hole setup.  Sometimes you need more than one tool to do the job.  

Thinking about switchig to Emby from Plex. I loaded up a server and some HDR & Dolb Vision content to test on my Apple TV, so I am very interested in making this work. Plex and AppleTV HDR works great, but Dolby Vision, not so much.

What is the status of AppleTV picking up HDR & Dolby Vision contect from Emby?

18 hours ago, mjr0483 said:

Thinking about switchig to Emby from Plex. I loaded up a server and some HDR & Dolb Vision content to test on my Apple TV, so I am very interested in making this work. Plex and AppleTV HDR works great, but Dolby Vision, not so much.

What is the status of AppleTV picking up HDR & Dolby Vision contect from Emby?

Hi, it should work pretty well in the upcoming Emby Apple TV app update.

Kirby2000
On 11/26/2022 at 9:05 PM, Luke said:

Hi, it should work pretty well in the upcoming Emby Apple TV app update.

I just updated emby to the new version 1.6.6 (8) on my new AppleTV 4K (2022) but still no switch of the TV format. No HDR, no change to 24p, still the same issue. :(

• Agree 1

Seanmac6
1 hour ago, Kirby2000 said:

I just updated emby to the new version 1.6.6 (8) on my new AppleTV 4K (2022) but still no switch of the TV format. No HDR, no change to 24p, still the same issue. :(

and video player still look nothing like the native player :( 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Seanmac6 said:

and video player still look nothing like the native player :( 

It will get there 

• Like 3