Any Black Friday/Cyber Monday discounts on lifetime?

Bobby121418

CBers
30 minutes ago, Kokosowy said:

Well.. Generally when we try to speak for others we rather present our own perspective than really knowing other people motivation. Nice to hear what you really think of people, us.

Let me kindly answer for you. Discount thread comes up every year because people are not getting it. These people should been taken care of rather than just ignoring or telling them they are "tight-arses". Do you really want Emby staff to be known from PR-perspective for calling people interested in buying their software on black friday "tight-arses"?

It was a generalised perception, which I also included myself in, so please re-read what I said.

I am not Emby Staff, as I stated earlier, just an Emby user and Forum Moderator.

I can BAN people and LOCK threads, but I can't offer discounts.

Thanks.

Edited by CBers

Bobby121418

All,

Let's please try and stay curteous here out of respect to the developers.

Pricing has elements of psychology to it and sellers always move it up and down to create the impression that people get good deals at times, hence sales, whether its Christmas, summer or Black Friday. People feel good when they buy with discounts. It creates better customer satisfaction.

Kokosowy
17 minutes ago, Bobby121418 said:

All,

Let's please try and stay curteous here out of respect to the developers.

Pricing has elements of psychology to it and sellers always move it up and down to create the impression that people get good deals at times, hence sales, whether its Christmas, summer or Black Friday. People feel good when they buy with discounts. It creates better customer satisfaction.

Amen to this.

Armageus
1 hour ago, Spaceboy said:

That you are paying currently monthly and simultaneously waiting for a discount is ridiculous. There is no logic there

It's a decision I've only just come to a few days ago (when I got a monthly email reminding me I was still paying for it), and that I should probably take out a lifetime pass. Waiting another week or two on the off chance that there is a Black Friday deal hardly seems ridiculous.

Personally I begrudge paying for Emby anyway (still a poor Roku/music library experience, LiveTV update that has been coming for years, and far too many feature requests that just get dismissed with a "yes we can look at improving this" or "It's possible for the future" response, and nothing that resembles an actual release cadence or roadmap), but it's the best of an ever shrinking market of Media servers

(I tried the main Rival yesterday out of frustration, only to find out that their Music library is even worse - no per track artists tags so Various artist compilations are unusable.)

Gilgamesh_48

In general discounts make products appear less valuable. Most store discounts are applied to items that are overpriced to start with. Some work like this:
Item currently priced at $X.
Store raises price by 20%.
Store lets that price sit for a short period of time. Sometimes even as short as a few days. They let consumes get used to the increase but they lose some sales.
Store then discounts the price by 10% and advertises the discount strongly.
Consumers then panic buy at the discounted price of about an increase of 9% or so from what it was before the increase.
That is the store makes an additional profit by having a discount.

That is only one way retailers gouge the consumer without really changing the value of the product. There are many more and some are much more devious than the straight forward one I indicated.

Personally I look at discounts as a way to screw the customer.

Emby lifetime is for me a great value at its current full price. You may get it cheaper if you wait for a discount but it is well to remember that Emby has not increased the price of lifetime in quite a while and an increase may be coming. The earlier price jump caught a LOT of people by surprise and there were a number that regretted not paying for lifetime before the jump. Then there were feeding frenzies at each discount.

Personally I believe that purchases should be evaluated and a decision made based on current prices and only then should a purchase be made. Waiting for discounts often only means missing out on the use of the product for a period of time.

Waiting on discounts is the consumer equivalent of playing the market with the intent of making a LOT of money from every trade.
"In any market the Bulls can make money and the Bears can make money and the Hogs get slaughtered."

I recommend that if lifetime seems a good value you buy it and if it doesn't then don't buy it. Being a Hog and waiting for a discount is a good way to miss out completely.

I believe there has even been mention of Emby dropping Lifetime as it is the least profitable of the Premier options.

analgesic
7 hours ago, CBers said:

It was a generalised perception, which I also included myself in, so please re-read what I said.

I am not Emby Staff, as I stated earlier, just an Emby user and Forum Moderator.

I can BAN people and LOCK threads, but I can't offer discounts.

Thanks.

This is a bad look from a Mod. 

Emphasizing that you have a power dynamic over regular users is never helpful when popping in to a thread to discuss something "as just another user." 

3 hours ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

In general discounts make products appear less valuable. Most store discounts are applied to items that are overpriced to start with. Some work like this:
Item currently priced at $X.
Store raises price by 20%.
Store lets that price sit for a short period of time. Sometimes even as short as a few days. They let consumes get used to the increase but they lose some sales.
Store then discounts the price by 10% and advertises the discount strongly.
Consumers then panic buy at the discounted price of about an increase of 9% or so from what it was before the increase.
That is the store makes an additional profit by having a discount.

That is only one way retailers gouge the consumer without really changing the value of the product. There are many more and some are much more devious than the straight forward one I indicated.

Personally I look at discounts as a way to screw the customer.

Emby lifetime is for me a great value at its current full price. You may get it cheaper if you wait for a discount but it is well to remember that Emby has not increased the price of lifetime in quite a while and an increase may be coming. The earlier price jump caught a LOT of people by surprise and there were a number that regretted not paying for lifetime before the jump. Then there were feeding frenzies at each discount.

Personally I believe that purchases should be evaluated and a decision made based on current prices and only then should a purchase be made. Waiting for discounts often only means missing out on the use of the product for a period of time.

Waiting on discounts is the consumer equivalent of playing the market with the intent of making a LOT of money from every trade.
"In any market the Bulls can make money and the Bears can make money and the Hogs get slaughtered."

I recommend that if lifetime seems a good value you buy it and if it doesn't then don't buy it. Being a Hog and waiting for a discount is a good way to miss out completely.

I believe there has even been mention of Emby dropping Lifetime as it is the least profitable of the Premier options.

I haven't bought a subscription yet because it's not currently a good value for me. 

I've used Plex locally for years. Checked out Emby when I came across it a while back, but the Android TV UI was clearly behind Plex, and I moved on. I keep tabs on Emby because at some point I think I'll want to start DVRing IPTV and Plex seems to be moving away from supporting that and Emby looks like a promising alternative once support improves in the future. 

But any search of the forums clearly indicates that functionality isn't yet ready for prime time. Hell, I happened to notice a bug in Emby's Android app months ago — tapping the 30s skip button jumps to the next episode instead of skipping 30s — and it STILL hasn't been fixed. That's a pretty huge bug to have gone unfixed since the summer.

And yet I came across this thread because I woke up and wondered if Emby had a sale significant enough to deliver some future value. People like me don't need a lesson in how our purchase should be evaluated, we're weighing a potential purchase based upon a product that is not yet a good value at full price. 

• Agree 2

CBers
38 minutes ago, analgesic said:

I keep tabs on Emby because at some point I think I'll want to start DVRing IPTV and Plex seems to be moving away from supporting that and Emby looks like a promising alternative once support improves in the future. 

But any search of the forums clearly indicates that functionality isn't yet ready for prime time. Hell, I happened to notice a bug in Emby's Android app months ago — tapping the 30s skip button jumps to the next episode instead of skipping 30s — and it STILL hasn't been fixed. That's a pretty huge bug to have gone unfixed since the summer.

Edited by CBers

mightymouse11

I don't generally comment on topics like this but would like to add my perspective on the topic for a balanced view. 

I'm a long time Kodi user and decided to see what else is out there at the same time as I'm updating my house network; it so happened to be near Black Friday... I have tried Emby, Jellyfin & Plex. Jellyfin works fine but clearly is not mature enough with some basic annoying omissions so the real decision is between Emby or Plex. The paid features are a nice to have which I'm only considering due to getting a 'better' deal than usual. 

In reality Plex suits my requirements better than Emby in their "free" variants. Emby app on Roku is dire compared to Plex. On Firestick TV they're equally as good but only Plex is completely free. It is also hard to ignore Plex is generally more polished and mainstream. In their paid version the two are very comparable. 

All being equal I would favour Emby over Plex as it's simplicity works well in the same way Kodi has served me for years, even if it is less mature than Plex.

In the UK Plex and Emby are approximately the same cost before discounts. Plex offer 25% off discount on something that I don't need but I am considering buying anyway. To use Emby I NEED to buy Premier... that is the only bit which is annoying. I'm currently running both on Docker so can switch any one off at any time. 

With this perspective, I'll simply wait a few days before making my final decision... Call me tight but it's my money and I want to get the most out of it, no different to buying anything else! 🙂 

Edited by mightymouse11
  • Agree 1

analgesic
21 minutes ago, CBers said:

Tell me you haven't heard my point without telling me that you haven't heard my point. 

I specifically addressed your comments earlier in this thread. Your response entirely ignored my direct point. 

I explicitly said that I wasn't an Emby user, that I explored Emby but it wasn't currently a good value for my use case. I then cited an area that I was specifically keeping tabs on for future use, with an aside about a very significant bug that I've just noticed still exists. 

I'm not looking for how to report a bug. I know I can do that. But my entire point, the entire point of this larger thread, is about value. One part of value is how much effort I have to put in to a working product: a click-and-it-works product is worth more than a Github-assemble-and-debug product. A product with through QA that catches and fixes bugs before I ever notice them is worth more than a product I have to report bugs and await fixes for. A product with a user base so active that others are reporting bugs that are fixed before I get around to it is worth more than a product I have to both pay for and put effort in to fixing. 

Value matters. The only reason a thread like this exists is because people like me don't see enough value in the current offering for our current use case but also see potential if the cost or features improve. Telling me that I can contribute to improving a product I don't yet use is not value adding. 

• Agree 1

Deathsquirrel

There may be a Christmas or Thanksgiving sale.  There may not be.  It's not a consistent annual thing.

While I get that everyone's financial situation is different, I have to say that the price of Emby isn't even high if you're pirating your media.  Hell, just the hard drives to store enough content to warrant a solution like this cost more than the software that makes that collection useful.  I recently crossed 2000 movies on disc, about 2000 CDs, and several hundred TV series.  Those discs cost tens of thousands of dollars over the years.  To play them back I've got a TV with 5.1 sound in 4 rooms in the house, each with a shield or xbox one.  To store the digital files there are two NAS enclosures with 9 drives plus a few drives on my Emby server PC that hold overflow.

I spent more on every other element of my collection than Emby costs.  I'm pretty sure I've spent more on speaker wire than the piece of software that ties everything together so it's usable.  Emby is cheap.

Emby is generally the least expensive part of most user's collections so it's hard for me to take price complaints seriously.

• Like 6

Kokosowy
7 hours ago, Deathsquirrel said:

While I get that everyone's financial situation is different, I have to say that the price of Emby isn't even high if you're pirating your media.  Hell, just the hard drives to store enough content to warrant a solution like this cost more than the software that makes that collection useful.

People cases vary. "You" doesn't mean "everybody". I don't own any pirated content, I don't have home theater, but 40" TV from 2011. My OMV NAS is built from cheap components like ASRock mainboard and some of regular disks. My android device connected to TV is Chinese MI box. All I place on NAS is photos I made myself and music I personally ripped from legally bought CDs. For $119 I could upgrade my server disks to large drives dedicated to NAS solutions. It's not that cheap! I don't quite understand why few people here are constantly trying to compare their life choices to others needs. We are different, we live in different environments, we have different reasons. Stop judging people, let them kindly ask for a discount in this thread.

Edited by Kokosowy

Deathsquirrel
24 minutes ago, Kokosowy said:

People cases vary. "You" doesn't mean "everybody". I don't own any pirated content, I don't have home theater, but 40" TV from 2011. My NAS Is built from cheap components like ASRock mainboard and some of regular disks. My android device connected to TV is Chinese MI box. All I place on NAS is photos I made myself and music I personally ripped from legally bought CDs. For $119 I could upgrade my server disks to large drives dedicated to NAS solutions. It's not that cheap! I don't quite understand why few people here are constantly trying to compare their life choices to others needs. We are different, we live in different environments, we have different reasons. Stop judging people, let them kindly ask for a discount in this thread.

Not that I begrudge the Emby team making more money, I'm all for that, but if your only use case is photos and music you probably don't need premiere regardless of cost.  I use Emby for music since my other media is already there, but if that were my primary need I doubt Emby would be my pick at all.  I feel like you're complaining that the M1 tank costs way too much when you're only buying it as a commuter vehicle.  I mean sure, 9 million is a lot for a commuter vehicle but maybe that doesn't mean the tank's price isn't fair.

I don't mind if there's a sale.  I've owned an Emby license since roughly the dawn of time, it doesn't matter to me.  I'm just saying the list price is very, very fair for what this program enables.

• Like 2

Kokosowy
3 minutes ago, Deathsquirrel said:

3 minutes ago, Deathsquirrel said:

if your only use case is photos and music you probably don't need premiere regardless of cost. 

That would be very true only if I could use offline play feature on Android devices without having a premiere. But for that premiere is required.

Edited by Kokosowy

17 hours ago, analgesic said:

I explicitly said that I wasn't an Emby user, that I explored Emby but it wasn't currently a good value for my use case. I then cited an area that I was specifically keeping tabs on for future use, with an aside about a very significant bug that I've just noticed still exists. 

Hi.  The problem is we've never heard of this problem and no one else has reported it so it may never get fixed for you.  We'd really appreciate it if you could create a topic with details because  I think this must be something specific to your media or environment as that function is used daily by many people without issue.

Any details you can provide would be quite helpful because we'd like to solve the problem.

Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gilgamesh_48
2 hours ago, Dax99 said:

No i woudnt buy and go to plex. they know how to win new customers. :P

The whole world gives black-friday deals. but emby not.

Possibly because Emby does not wish to exploit their customers and they may not wish to piss off those that at some point payed full price.

Also Emby is not a product in any traditional since. It is a service and maybe they do not wish to cheapen their service. And, as I said earlier, they may wish to avoid some of the negativity they will see when they increase their prices which, it seems, may come sooner rather than later. It has been a very long time since their last increase so it may be that one is coming soon. They may well feel that the current price is a discount.

But, who knows? Emby can and will do as they wish and their prices are what they want them to be. So they can offer a discount any time they wish or never.

Lastly discounts are generally use to drive revenue and Emby may feel that they are getting enough new purchases.

I do not really see that Emby (or Plex for that matter) needs to offer discounts. The value of the service is great and the price is small. Full price lifetime is the best purchase I have ever made but I do not even use the premium features. The only real reason for me to purchase lifetime was/is to support Emby.

Emby, please do not cheapen your service by bowing to pressure and providing discounts.

• Like 1