Any Black Friday/Cyber Monday discounts on lifetime?

Bobby121418

Bobby121418

Hi,

Sorry, could not post to subscriptions forum, but important question nonetheless. 

Are there any plans for Black Friday or Cyber Monday deals for lifetime licence?

Thanks

• Like 3

laie_techie

People have asked this in years past, but they can't answer. If it leaks there will be a special (and I'm not saying there will be), then it will cut down on sales before the promotion.

• Agree 1

Kokosowy

I agree. I know that many people think Emby is worth full price but there's for sure significant group of people determined to wait for a proper discount for a lifetime license. Ignoring them is ignoring fact they are willing to give the team their money. Sometimes it's better to sell discounted software to 20 people than having just one person taking a full price. Just saying.

• Like 1

If you buy lifetime the probability of using the software for more than at least few years is quite high I would say.

Assuming 3 years of usage would mean all this (software + support + development) costs less than 5 bucks a month.
Really...?!

• Agree 2

Kokosowy
8 hours ago, neik said:

Really...?!

This way we can justify every purchase. I will buy a brand new Mac book Pro because it's just $20 monthly for 8 years.. Fact is there is still a large group that can give the team their money, but they just need a different approach.

Edited by Kokosowy
  • Haha 1

Kokosowy

This is just an example that this way you can justify every purchase. Look, every year this kind of thread comes up for some reason. For you it's not a big deal to pay full price, for them it's a biggie, they still wait for a discount for a reason. You can ignore, you can laugh at them, but ask yourself a question how many people asking for a discount last years decided to buy ay full price anyway, I believe not much of them. And this situation is just more money waiting to pick up by the team. Simple economics.

Talkabout

Throw my 2 cents in here: also waiting for a discount :) I like the software and running it for several days now. Waiting for a discount price to be able to use some plugins that are only available when you have Emby Premiere. If the discount won't happen with Black Friday now, I'll wait for another occassion. Wanted to confirm @Kokosowy's view, there are people waiting for a discount and those won't pay the "full" price, simply because they can wait and are not in a hurry, but still want to give their money to the DEVs to honor their work.

Kokosowy

Here are my 2 cents as well -- I maintain a music library at home, I buy lot of CDs, rip them and put on NAS. I need software on Android devices able to reach central music library, sync music files and make them available offline on client devices. I can glue few things together and pay pretty much nothing to achieve this, but Emby seems quite elegant for this purpose and I'd like to go in this direction. Tried also Jellyfin, but it seems not there yet, forking it for Emby probably killed its development. Won't mention Plex..

Getting to the financial side. I hate subscription model, for me as a consumer it's worst business model of our times, so only option I have is to pay $119 for a lifetime which is quite much for piece of Emby functions I am going to really use. This is why I wait for a decent discount, this is my reason. People have their reasons, many different reasons. Please stop criticizing people for their reasons, it's not your business. Asking for a discount or getting it is something normal in business, it's not a crime against developers.

Edited by Kokosowy

Spaceboy

But even if there is a discount it’s only likely to be $20, 17%. Does that really affect your purchasing decision?

Talkabout

@Spaceboy for me, yes. I have seen that Emby Premiere has been sold for 99$ a few times in the past and I decided to wait for the next time this will happen. As already written, I am not in a hurry and pretty sure a discount will come at some point :)

Kokosowy
2 hours ago, Spaceboy said:

But even if there is a discount it’s only likely to be $20, 17%. Does that really affect your purchasing decision?

It really depends on people and their reasons. For me it's better price. In Poland we have now significant inflation issues because of government stupidity, so yes, every penny counts.

Edited by Kokosowy

Armageus

Their main rival now has a 25% discount offer on, so hoping Emby do something similar so I can pick up a lifetime pass (despite the many gripes I have with Emby, it's still a better option for my usage)

CBers
5 minutes ago, Armageus said:

Their main rival now has a 25% discount offer on, so hoping Emby do something similar so I can pick up a lifetime pass (despite the many gripes I have with Emby, it's still a better option for my usage)

And I wonder how the people that paid the full price feel now 🤔

Should they get a refund?

• Agree 1

Armageus
7 minutes ago, CBers said:

why should they get a refund? 😕 

They paid what they thought it was worth at the time.

It's not like it's an unknown thing about the rival having a black friday discount (and other holiday discounts) every year

I've been paying monthly for Emby for a "while" now and will likely now stick with it, so any discount would be appreciated on a lifetime pass. (If I'd bought a lifetime pass from day 1 it would obviously have saved me lots of money, but without having tried if for an extended time, it was difficult to justify if it was something I would use)

Kokosowy
18 minutes ago, CBers said:

Because selling things is about feelings.. come on.. it's all about the money. As a seller you can get them or not, amount is a secondary topic. There are discounts all the time, not only on black fridays. I don't see any people complaining or making a lawsuit because of let's say clothes being on sale. On the other hand these days people can offended by everything, so it shouldn't be a surprise for me to see any riots on streets because of black friday discounts..

CBers
17 minutes ago, Armageus said:

It's not like it's an unknown thing about the rival having a black friday discount (and other holiday discounts) every year

I've been paying monthly for Emby for a "while" now and will likely now stick with it, so any discount would be appreciated on a lifetime pass. (If I'd bought a lifetime pass from day 1 it would obviously have saved me lots of money, but without having tried if for an extended time, it was difficult to justify if it was something I would use)

6 minutes ago, Kokosowy said:

Because selling things is about feelings.. come on.. it's all about the money. As a seller you can get them or not, amount is a secondary topic. There are discounts all the time, not only on black fridays. I don't see any people complaining or making a lawsuit because of let's say clothes being on sale. On the other hand these days people can offended by everything, so it shouldn't be a surprise for me to see any riots on streets because of black friday discounts..

In lieu of any Emby Team comments (I'm just a user and Moderator and not part of the Emby Team), I would only say this, if you want to use Emby and are willing to pay for it, then pay for it and stop waiting for a discount that may never ever come.

There are obviously other products on the market, including free ones, so you have a choice.

This same topic comes up every year around Black Friday/Cyber Monday and quite frankly, it's rather boring.

Thanks.

Kokosowy
7 minutes ago, CBers said:

This same topic comes up every year around Black Friday/Cyber Monday and quite frankly, it's rather boring.

Guess why they come.

Armageus
9 minutes ago, CBers said:

In lieu of any Emby Team comments (I'm just a user and Moderator and not part of the Emby Team), I would only say this, if you want to use Emby and are willing to pay for it, then pay for it and stop waiting for a discount that may never ever come.

Ah gotcha - so Emby discounts are like features - as there are plenty of those that may never ever come as well 🤣

Edited by Armageus
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

CBers
18 minutes ago, Kokosowy said:

Guess why they come.

Because people in general are tight-arses and always try to get something for nothing, me included.

But when you know there is no movement in a price, you have to suck it up and pay for what it is you want.

• Like 1

Spaceboy
1 hour ago, Armageus said:

That you are paying currently monthly and simultaneously waiting for a discount is ridiculous. There is no logic there

Kokosowy
50 minutes ago, CBers said:

Because people in general are tight-arses and always try to get something for nothing, me included.

But when you know there is no movement in a price, you have to suck it up and pay for what it is you want.

Well.. Generally when we try to speak for others we rather present our own perspective than really knowing other people motivation. Nice to hear what you really think of people, us.

Let me kindly answer for you. Discount thread comes up every year because people are not getting it. These people should been taken care of rather than just ignoring or telling them they are "tight-arses". Do you really want Emby staff to be known from PR-perspective for calling people interested in buying their software on black friday "tight-arses"?