Fanart for Albums - was working, now isn't!

somechap

somechap

I've just upgraded from a 4.3 version to the latest (4.6.4.0).

I have a very carefully curated music library where many albums have programme notes (not sure what to call these -  summaries, overviews, outlines, reviews - whatever terms you prefer), and fanart / backgrounds. These were being picked up nicely by emby before the upgrade but have now disappeared.  They are deployed as background.jpg in the album directories, and I have also created album.nfo files.

Hopefully there's something simple I'm doing wrong!

Sample album is below - see the jpg and nfo files listed, and the structure of my album.nfo below them.

Thanks for any assistance.

(base) myaccount@myip /short/music/embylib/Advent at Merton_Choir of Merton College, Oxford $ ll
total 236M
drwxrwxrwx   2 root 	root 	  4.0K Nov 15 12:17  .
drwxrwxrwx 464 root 	root 	  48K Nov 15 17:24  ..
-rwxrwxrwx   2 root     root      16M Oct 10 11:53 '10_1_7 Advent Antiphons:No. 4, O Klavis David.flac'
-rwxrwxrwx   2 root     root      20M Oct 10 11:53 '11_1_7 Advent Antiphons:No. 5, O Oriens.flac'
-rwxrwxrwx   2 root     root     9.5M Oct 10 11:53 '1_1_Ecce concipies.flac'
[ snip :-) ]
-rwxrwxrwx   2 root     root     1.8K Jan  7  2021  album.nfo
-rwxrwxrwx   2 root     root     189K Oct 14  2020  background.jpg
-rwxrwxrwx   2 root     root      64K Jan  7  2021  folder.jpg
(base) myaccount@myip /short/music/embylib/Advent at Merton_Choir of Merton College, Oxford $ cat album.nfo
<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<album>
        <review>The beginning of Advent is celebrated with a particular solemnity at Merton [snip]</review>
        <outline>The beginning of Advent is celebrated with a particular solemnity at Merton [snip]</outline>
        <genre>20th Century</genre>
        <genre>Anglican</genre>
        <genre>Choral</genre>
        <genre>Christmas</genre>
        <genre>English</genre>
        <genre>Sacred</genre>
        <genre>Vocal</genre>
        <art>
                <poster>folder.jpg</poster>
                <fanart>background.jpg</fanart>
        </art>
</album>

Deathsquirrel

Emby made a change in how music is identified in, I believe, 4.6.4.  It is now driven by tags within the music files.  This is great overall but you may need to update your music file tagging to benefit from this.

For users of local album art, rather than embedded album art, there is one additional change required.  In your Music library settings there is a new value for Music Folder Structure.  To use local album art you need to set this value to either of the two options that aren't 'Other or Unstructured' and your files must actually be organized on disk in the structure you set here.  For example, my structure is \\share\artist\album\track.flac with a poster.jpg in the Album folder.  I chose this option and my album art was picked right up:

image.thumb.png.5b5e7df3f6cb66bf167c87e105d0f911.png

Edited by Deathsquirrel
  • Like 1

somechap

Haha thanks - I was one of the ones clamouring for the tag-driven approach five years ago! Since then I made a python script which re-arranges hard-links to my music files in exactly the folder structure (then) required by emby based on the embedded tags  ...

Good shout re that setting.  I've changed it and rescanned the library, and now the fanart is picked up, hooray!

No progress on summaries / outlines though - anyone any inspiration?

somechap

My guess is (since DeathSquirrell's suggested setting change), it is now picking up background.jpg, but entirely ignoring the album.nfo.

8 hours ago, somechap said:

My guess is (since DeathSquirrell's suggested setting change), it is now picking up background.jpg, but entirely ignoring the album.nfo.

album.nfo is not currently read, but will return in future updates. thanks.