Emby for Android TV Beta on A90J discarding DV

joncy92

rbjtech
14 minutes ago, joncy92 said:

Hi - yes I linked to a build of Kodi above which supports Dolby vision - I've installed it directly on the a90j and it's playing those profile 7/8 movies in Dolby vision - again is there anything I can provide so that this can be fixed on the emby app?

Simply put, Emby uses Exoplayer and is thus totally dependent on it's capabilities - so understanding exactly what you are trying to play is key here.

I've not seen any DV profile 8 files - (dvhe.08.06 according to MediaInfo above)  I'm not convinced it's even a valid Profile given the document below - but that ref doc is 3 years old so things may have changed. 

https://www.diversifiedvideosolutions.com/Dolby_Vision/Dolby_Vision_profiles_and_levels-Dolby_Laboratories.pdf

15 minutes ago, joncy92 said:

As for the atmos stuff - you're saying TrueHD with Atmos will not run over eARC because no app can do that? 

In the past yes, even the latest LG OLED cannot do this with an internal App (even via Kodi), but again, things may have changed.  Technically, Android TV can use HD Audio no problem, the Shield does it today - so it's just a matter of getting the 'chain' of App > AndroidTV > TV Hardware > eARC > External Receiver working.

2 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Simply put, Emby uses Exoplayer and is thus totally dependent on it's capabilities - so understanding exactly what you are trying to play is key here.

I've not seen any DV profile 8 files - (dvhe.08.06 according to MediaInfo above)  I'm not convinced it's even a valid Profile given the document below - but that ref doc is 3 years old so things may have changed. 

https://www.diversifiedvideosolutions.com/Dolby_Vision/Dolby_Vision_profiles_and_levels-Dolby_Laboratories.pdf

In the past yes, even the latest LG OLED cannot do this with an internal App (even via Kodi), but again, things may have changed.  Technically, Android TV can use HD Audio no problem, the Shield does it today - so it's just a matter of getting the 'chain' of App > AndroidTV > TV Hardware > eARC > External Receiver working.

Below page on Dolby's website mentions several profiles. See page 8 of the embedded doc - profile 8 is there 

https://professionalsupport.dolby.com/s/article/What-is-Dolby-Vision-Profile?language=en_US

So the issue is then that Exoplayer must be updated to support these new profiles?

1 hour ago, ebr said:

Those will all be profile 5 I'll bet.

I have the Webrips and Mediainfo says they're profile 8 and the Dolby vision is triggered when playing via Kodi - any possibility of Mediainfo reporting incorrectly?

Your previous post said only profile 5 is supported on Bravia - do you have any reference to this or is it based on testing & feedback?

I've now tried profile 5, 7 and 8 via Kodi and all three are working so I don't think there's an issue with the TV at all. 

• Thanks 1

FrostByte

The new Firestik 4K MAX even lists both DV profile 5 and 8 as being supported so I believe it's valid

Edited by FrostByte
  • Thanks 1

Hi. What you need to understand is that Dolby Vision is a proprietary technology that Dolby Labs has created for their business - that is - to make money on :).  So the support that exists on any platform or in any product is the result of either licensing that use through Dolby or, perhaps, someone going to the trouble to reverse-engineer it to the point of being able to make it work (whether or not this is strictly legal is another debate we don't need to have here).  I believe Dolby is making the different flavors intentionally difficult to work with and I cannot really blame them.

I know we can support profile 5 on just about anything that supports DV.  The other profiles may or may not work depending on the hardware.

• Agree 1

FrostByte

From what I've read these aren't straight from Disney+ because D+ uses DV profile 5 as ebr mentioned.  What these people are doing is taking the DV profile 5 metadata from online sources and using a tool to create the metadata and then they merge it with a x265 encoded rip from UHD

The tool they are using to create the metadata is below

GitHub - quietvoid/dovi_tool: dovi_tool is a CLI tool combining multiple utilities for working with Dolby Vision.

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

FrostByte
8 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi. What you need to understand is that Dolby Vision is a proprietary technology that Dolby Labs has created for their business - that is - to make money on :).  So the support that exists on any platform or in any product is the result of either licensing that use through Dolby or, perhaps, someone going to the trouble to reverse-engineer it to the point of being able to make it work (whether or not this is strictly legal is another debate we don't need to have here).  I believe Dolby is making the different flavors intentionally difficult to work with and I cannot really blame them.

I know we can support profile 5 on just about anything that supports DV.  The other profiles may or may not work depending on the hardware.

Don't you have a Sony?  Are you stopping everything but profile 5 from passing through on Sony TVs, or are you somehow checking what the hardware supports first.  I was just wondering if you can let profile 8 through as a test.  We know profile 7 doesn't work

rbjtech
11 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

From what I've read these aren't straight from Disney+ because D+ uses DV profile 5 as ebr mentioned.  What these people are doing is taking the DV profile 5 metadata from online sources and using a tool to create the metadata and then they merge it with a x265 encoded rip from UHD

The tool they are using to create the metadata is below

GitHub - quietvoid/dovi_tool: dovi_tool is a CLI tool combining multiple utilities for working with Dolby Vision.

Interesting - I guess this is to add a broadcast/streaming 'DV' layers to HDR only UHD's - otherwise they can just use the DV profile 7 already on the UHD if it is DV to start with ?

tbh, I wonder how much of the DV stuff is around $ - why would a studio spend big money converting a movie to use 'DV' on netflix and yet their UHD release is only HDR.   Seems very odd to me ..

8 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Don't you have a Sony?  Are you stopping everything but profile 5 from passing through on Sony TVs, or are you somehow checking what the hardware supports first.  I was just wondering if you can let profile 8 through as a test.  We know profile 7 doesn't work

The app doesn't stop anything.  We'd have to look at the internals of Exo to see if there is anything there.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FrostByte said:

We know profile 7 doesn't work

How do we know this? I have a movie with Dolby profile 7 and as I said it will trigger dolby vision on the A90J when playing through Kodi

My Shield 2019 is arriving tomorrow so I'll see if it triggers from there too

@ebr - In your previous post here you said only DV 5 is supported - did you mean in Exoplayer/Emby or the TV itself?

Edited by joncy92

FrostByte

DV profile 7 works on the Shield for rbjtech and others, so not sure if the problem is Exoplayer.  

If you try to play a profile which isn't supported by your hardware I believe ebr can see something in the logs which says it's beyond the capabilities of the hardware.  I suppose that could be reporting incorrectly though.    

• Agree 1

rbjtech

My understanding is the Android TV built into TV's have different capabilities vs the Shield.  

All previous reports suggest only DV profile 5 works (on the TV version) - profile 7 does not - but that could simply be a TV hardware/Android limitation or restriction - on your TV hardware, this may not be the case.  As @FrostByte has said, it could also be the OS is reporting to emby incorrectly or emby is incorrectly interpreting the results. 

Other 'features' on Android TV on TV's also appear to be restricted - such as Frame Rate Matching as an example.

The 2019 shield can playback DV profile 7 without issues, can do Frame Rate Matching etc.  I do not have a profile 8 to try.

Edited by rbjtech

Okay I've tested Emby for Android TV beta on my shield 2019 and movies with Dolby Vision profiles 5, 7 and 8 all trigger Dolby vision on my Sony A90J TV. 

Why would it not trigger via the app on the TV? 

rbjtech
4 minutes ago, joncy92 said:

Okay I've tested Emby for Android TV beta on my shield 2019 and movies with Dolby Vision profiles 5, 7 and 8 all trigger Dolby vision on my Sony A90J TV. 

Why would it not trigger via the app on the TV? 

Thanks for confirming DV Profile 8 on the Shield.  Profile 5 & 7 have always been ok since Exoplayer began supported it.

As has been said above, the Android TV in your TV is not the same as the Android TV in the Shield - thus you get different features.

Did you send a 'bug report' from the TV version of the Emby App ?  As that will have information in it which the Emby App will use to determine the TV's capabilities.

If the TV (Android) is reporting it can only do DV5 - then other than 'forcing the issue' I'm not sure what Emby can do about that, as it's an Android/Sony issue to resolve.

• Like 1

FrostByte

Earlier ebr mentioned from reading logs the TV is reporting back that it has "limited" DV support.  I can only guess that means it doesn't support all profiles

• Like 1

Ah no we've been over that already - the TV must support Dolby vision's profiles 7 and 8 in apps because it works on Kodi. 

I've just sent another log from the app - I played first a Dolby Vision 7 video then and Dolby vision 8 video. 

The username is j

• Like 1

FrostByte

The only other thing I can think of then is that it is reporting wrongly what your TV supports which would cause it not to work also.  Hopefully ebr can give us a little more once he sees the new logs.

Whatever the behavior is here, it is outside of our app - either in Exo or beyond that.  We will have to investigate but that will take some time.

Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1