Emby for Android TV Beta on A90J discarding DV

joncy92

Hi All,

I have Emby for Android TV beta installed on my A90J. I have a couple of MKVs with Dobly Vision only and they correctly display the video (no purple tint etc) and the picture settings on the TV show the Dolby Vision Dark/Bright options as expected..

I have then tried playing a file with both Dolby Vision and HDR10 but Dolby Vision isn't picked up.

I understand I need to upload logs etc but can anyone tell me from where?

Thanks 

FrostByte

I seem to recall there being an issue with Sony TVs in that they only supported DV profile 5 while streaming.  @ebr will have to verify

2 hours ago, joncy92 said:

I have then tried playing a file with both Dolby Vision and HDR10 but Dolby Vision isn't picked up.

Do they play in HDR?

2 hours ago, FrostByte said:

I seem to recall there being an issue with Sony TVs in that they only supported DV profile 5 while streaming.  @ebr will have to verify

Correct, only profile 5 of DV is supported.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ebr said:

Do they play in HDR?

Yes HDR works as expected

3 hours ago, ebr said:

I've just tested with Kodi and the Emby next gen addon and on there everything is actually working as expected

The movies which have DV layer are triggering DV on the TV (that rhymes btw) - the only thing not working there is Atmos audio but I have noticed though that Atmos audio isn't passing through properly from the Emby app to my AVR - it did work yesterday so not sure what's happened since.

Atmos is actually working on my 2015 Shield on both the Emby app and Kodi but obviously DV isn't supported there.

I've sent a log from the Emby app my TV - the username running the stream is "j" and the time was about 18:08 - 18:10 

I'll get the server logs posted shortly 

52 minutes ago, joncy92 said:

I've sent a log from the Emby app my TV - the username running the stream is "j" and the time was about 18:08 - 18:10 

Hi.  Are you sure that item was DV?

[X] Track:0, id=1, mimeType=video/hevc, codecs=hvc1.2.4.H153.90, res=3840x2160

Also, do note that the SFN display does show that the TV only supports limited Dolby Vision.

*** Supported HDR Types: HLG HDR10,DV(limited)

27 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Are you sure that item was DV?

[X] Track:0, id=1, mimeType=video/hevc, codecs=hvc1.2.4.H153.90, res=3840x2160

100%. They're the IMAX versions of black panther and Spider-Man homecoming from D+. When I press the settings button on the TV I'm able to to change between Dolby vision bright and dark which you can only do when the current content is dolby vision 

27 minutes ago, ebr said:

Also, do note that the SFN display does show that the TV only supports limited Dolby Vision.

*** Supported HDR Types: HLG HDR10,DV(limited)

What's SFN display? Lol 

I thought this was meant to be the best OLED on the planet lol ! 

I have a shield 2019 arriving Wednesday so that might work better. I'll test that as well 

CBers
33 minutes ago, joncy92 said:

What's SFN display? Lol 

32 minutes ago, neik said:

LG G1.. 😉 

27 minutes ago, joncy92 said:

Depends who you ask 😬

As of 2021, the only company that produces produces OLED TV panels is LG.

1 minute ago, CBers said:

As of 2021, the only company that produces produces OLED TV panels is LG.

Hence my post.

LG wouldn't be very smart if they sold their best panels to the competition while building less powerful panels on their own TV's.

1 minute ago, joncy92 said:

The app isn't playing a DV file in DV while another app is..can we focus on that?

The only version of DV that will be supported is Profile 5.  That is the profile that all the streaming services use.  It still doesn't look to me that the above item was DV but perhaps it was interpreting it as just HDR as maybe it had an HDR compatible layer.

1 minute ago, ebr said:

The only version of DV that will be supported is Profile 5.  That is the profile that all the streaming services use.  It still doesn't look to me that the above item was DV but perhaps it was interpreting it as just HDR as maybe it had an HDR compatible layer.

It has both HDR10 and DV - how could playing it in another app trigger it as DV if it's not DV ? 

9 minutes ago, joncy92 said:

It has both HDR10 and DV - 

9 minutes ago, joncy92 said:

perhaps it was interpreting it as just HDR as maybe it had an HDR compatible layer

So that is probably what is happening - it is playing the HDR layer since the DV layer won't work.  Do you know the profile of the DV in that?

11 minutes ago, ebr said:

So that is probably what is happening - it is playing the HDR layer since the DV layer won't work.  Do you know the profile of the DV in t

So my understanding from reading previous topics is that if an MKV has both HDR10 and DV then the DV will not be used if something along the chain doesn't support it. Is this correct?

Can I find out from metadata or something? Can you tell me how to check ?

Thanks

6 minutes ago, joncy92 said:

Can I find out from metadata or something? Can you tell me how to check ?

Running mediainfo against it I think will show.

HDR format                               : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.08.06, BL+RPU, HDR10 compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10

Edited by joncy92

FrostByte

Okay, those Marvel IMAX movies are DV profile 8 then

There's another thread posted recently with the Firestik MAX which supports DV P8 according to the manual though it isn't triggering DV.  He did mention they worked on his Shield Pro but not on the MAX.

Edited by FrostByte

10 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Okay, those Marvel IMAX movies are DV profile 8 then

There's another thread posted recently with the Firestik MAX which supports DV P8 according to the manual though it isn't triggering DV.  He did mention they worked on his Shield Pro but not on the MAX.

Okay so does the exoplayer not support DV P8?  

I'm confident my TV does since it works properly on Disney plus as well as that version of Kodi I linked to earlier

FrostByte

If it works on the Shield then that would be Exoplayer also.  Unless he was using some other app I guess

If you wish to see the other thread it's here, it might might be related to your issue.  At the bottom he mentions using his Shield Pro

20 hours ago, ebr said:

I've just tried a profile 7 movie in that Kodi build and it triggered Dolby Vision on the TV as expected. Media info from the file:

Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible

The TV has run all Dolby Vision files I've thrown at it through Kodi (and D+ and Netflix) - the only issue is with the Emby app.

Is there anything else I can provide to help get this resolved? I would ideally like to run the Emby App on the TV with Dolby Vision working and passing Atmos over eARC than use a separate app or box.

rbjtech

To confirm - are you able to play a Profile 7/8 DV file from the Android OS built into the TV (via Kodi) ?

If yes, this is a first I've heard of a success, as previously (as has been mentioned above), Android TV on TV's has been limited to Profile 5 DV Only.

On the Audio - then again, this is more complicated that you might think :(

As of a while ago, HD Audio out via eARC was also not possible on the LG TV's - ARC was fine, but HD Audio was not.  Dolby Digital Plus (with Atmos) from the streaming services is not HD Audio, so this works perfectly well over ARC.  However, if you want HD Audio (ie Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD, DTS-HD:X etc) then you need eARC which has never been implemented to work from an internal App on the TV - this was a hardware limitation.   Hopefully, Sony/Android have fixed this also :)

Edited by rbjtech

4 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

To confirm - are you able to play a Profile 7/8 DV file from the Android OS built into the TV (via Kodi) ?

If yes, this is a first I've heard of a success, as previously (as has been mentioned above), Android TV on TV's has been limited to Profile 5 DV Only.

On the Audio - then again, this is more complicated that you might think :(

As of a while ago, HD Audio out via eARC was also not possible on the LG TV's - ARC was fine, but HD Audio was not.  Dolby Digital Plus (with Atmos) from the streaming services is not HD Audio, so this works perfectly well over ARC.  However, if you want HD Audio (ie Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD, DTS-HD:X etc) then you need eARC which has never been implemented to work from an internal App on the TV - this was a hardware limitation.   Hopefully, Sony/Android have fixed this also :)

Hi - yes I linked to a build of Kodi above which supports Dolby vision - I've installed it directly on the a90j and it's playing those profile 7/8 movies in Dolby vision - again is there anything I can provide so that this can be fixed on the emby app?

As for the atmos stuff - you're saying TrueHD with Atmos will not run over eARC because no app can do that?