Adding a Library Source from a Network Location

GiGo

A real head scratcher this one for me.

My 1815+ is running my emby server, I want to add a Network location shared on another device; "\\192.168.68.118\\share\emby\tv" for instance, now this doesn't seem to work. Emby fails to find the drive, the path is correct.

I've set up another server on a Windows Laptop and I can add my NAS location no issue on that server but not on my 1815+.

I have tried navigating to Network > smb:ComputerName but that draws up a blank also....

Hoping there is a fix for this or I'm doing something wrong?

TIA

Hi, I would suggest mounting the share to a local path on the Synology and then importing that local path instead.

@cayarshas recently written a help topic on this.

Cheers for the info guys, I have tried this.

I'm trying to link a Shared Google Drive where I'm holding some shows instead of downloading them to my NAS.

Google do a File Stream now on Windows and mount your drive as a Network drive, which is great! Makes it so much easier to stream files.

I've tried doing the method above first but whenever I try to start start a file that is stored on that 'drive' Emby seems to fail and tells me there are no compatible streams.

I assume pointing to a network drive in the Emby library should work fine? (ie \\192.168.68.118\google\Shared drives\embydrive\TV)

EDIT: Just tried it again and seems to be working now! How odd...... will monitor it and see if it continues to work.

17 hours ago, Luke said:

Thanks for the feedback.

Now this is interesting.....

On any other device other than my Roku that I try, streaming from the remote folder/online drive/network drive works great, instant results, however on my Roku it 'times out'. I've used Android and the Web, both on LAN and WAN and it works but on my Roku it doesn't?!

I have attached the last lines of my log file for you to see;
113 = my Roku
146 = Laptop/Web 

Hoping this is just an issue with the way the Roku works and it's a simple 'fix'. If there is anything I can do to assist in 'debuging' or 'error testing' please let me know.

embyserver.txt

Do you have \\192.168.68.118\google\Shared drives\embydrive\TV shared for anonymous use?
If not you might be having an issue with authentication at times.

On 11/14/2021 at 4:08 PM, GiGo said:

Cheers for the info guys, I have tried this.

I'm trying to link a Shared Google Drive where I'm holding some shows instead of downloading them to my NAS.

Google do a File Stream now on Windows and mount your drive as a Network drive, which is great! Makes it so much easier to stream files.

Are you mounting the Google Drive on the PC or do you mount it directly to the Synology File System?  I would do the latter.

On 15/11/2021 at 23:48, cayars said:

Do you have \\192.168.68.118\google\Shared drives\embydrive\TV shared for anonymous use?
If not you might be having an issue with authentication at times.

Are you mounting the Google Drive on the PC or do you mount it directly to the Synology File System?  I would do the latter.

Thanks for your reply, sorry I didn't see it until today.

The Google Drive is mounted to the Windows PC, via there new app, which creates a virtual 'physical' drive, 'Drive G'.  To my knowledge I cannot mount a virtual Google Drive to my NAS, ie where the files are just 'streamed' and not physically synced? Tell me if I'm wrong as this will solve my issue I am assuming and I have searched but can't find a way to do it.

Regarding permissions, I have my share setup up for full control in Windows and have authenticated on my Synology using my Windows Username and Password. I can access these files and stream them using Emby Theatre on Linux, Kodi (via EmbyCon), Android and Web, the only device I cannot seem to access them on is the Roku, so I'm assuming it's a Roku issue, I imagine it would be down to access times, from the Roku (wireless of course), to my NAS then to my Windows PC (both wired) and of course Google's servers, however all this seems to happen very quickly using any other device and Emby app.

Really appriciate the help and advice.

I would think you could use many of the "fuse" type mounts on your NAS or even rclone itself if you're happy with it.

Which model Synology do you have?  Or more to the point, what CPU/architecture does it have?

1 minute ago, cayars said:

I would think you could use many of the "fuse" type mounts on your NAS or even rclone itself if you're happy with it.

Which model Synology do you have?  Or more to the point, what CPU/architecture does it have?

My Synology is an 1815+ it's a 64bit Atom. 

I have read about rclone and really wanted to avoid it, but looks like it I might need to learn some new skills on setting it up as it would greatly help in this situation, if you have a link to a resource that would be useful that would be amazing 👍

I'm not sure how this would work with the Atom but it's worth a try.

You likely have two ways to install which would be directly on the host box or via docker.
Are you running docker on your 1815+?

If you can PM me your current rclone settings I see if all the options are available and I'll give it a test on my side.  I no longer have anything stored in GD but do have the free plan everyone gets so I could likely use that to test with.

2 minutes ago, cayars said:

I'm not sure how this would work with the Atom but it's worth a try.

You likely have two ways to install which would be directly on the host box or via docker.
Are you running docker on your 1815+?

If you can PM me your current rclone settings I see if all the options are available and I'll give it a test on my side.  I no longer have anything stored in GD but do have the free plan everyone gets so I could likely use that to test with.

Will PM, thanks for your help 😊

Do you have docker running on your Synology?
That to me would likely make this a lot easier unless you're comfortable working in SSH at the command line.

2 minutes ago, cayars said:

Do you have docker running on your Synology?
That to me would likely make this a lot easier unless you're comfortable working in SSH at the command line.

I PMed you 👍