TrueNAS plugin, which one do I use?

gmacman

I'm a noob and starting a new emby install on a new TrueNAS box (TrueNAS-12.0-U6.1) following the guide made up by @@makarai and would just like to confirm a few things.

First, it appears there are two "plugins" for emby within the community collection (none in the iXsystems collection btw).  One is named "Emby" which states it's current version to be 4.6.4.0_2 while the other plugin is named "Emby Server" and it's current version is "N/A".  I read elsewhere that (oddly) the correct version of the plugin is the one with the N/A for it's version. 

Is that right? 

Thank you.  I was looking for information on the plugins in which I can install within TrueNAS.  I appreciate your desire to have me do your manual install.  However, I am looking for the plugin solution.  Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

@gmacman I would try the Emby one. Please note that neither of these are packaged by us, so that's why we suggest the sideload install.

We've been trying to contribute changes to the community packages but for whatever reason they haven't been merging them in:

https://github.com/freenas/iocage-plugin-emby/pull/6

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

Thanks Luke, I greatly appreciate your feedback.  You have always done a great job of trying to answer questions.  And I've been on this forum for like 6 years, so please take this as 6X Thanks.

However, what would be super great, for all the noobs like me, would be a more "for dummies" kind of info on the manual install method listed on your site.  I understand it should be as easy as you describe, however a great many FreeNas/TrueNAS noobs like me (I know they're out there since they post questions that, well, questions I would post), would be a full "how to" which would include which Jail needs to be installed, etc.

The benefit, and I'm sure the reason the vast majority of folks like me choose to continue to use the plugin, is that with that method ALL of the install steps are taken care of, the jail, the emby install, etc. 

I have been running Emby (first on FreeNAS and now on a new TrueNAS server I have) for well over 5 years now.  And yes, sadly, I'm still a noob on all this, because I don't need to nor want to know how it works, I just want it to work.  And Emby is outstanding in that regard.  Yes, issues come up, but I have been utterly happy with the ability of Emby to broadcast my extensive film/tv library to every TV in our house (either thru a FireTV streaming device or Shield device).

However, I do have some issues with how Emby and the True/FreeNAS goes in terms of just trying to install the darn thing.  I look at the Windows side and see plenty of resources thrown to help (granted the majority of users) install on their boxes.  I would just really love to have a simple (as mentioned "for dummies") How To.

And I hope, one day, that a simple walk thru will be posted here.  Of course, I also hope humans will live in peace and harmony.  But I do really hope, the Emby install How To will come first.

On 19/11/2021 at 19:04, gmacman said:

Thank you.  I was looking for information on the plugins in which I can install within TrueNAS.  I appreciate your desire to have me do your manual install.  However, I am looking for the plugin solution.  Thank you.

As Luke mentioned, neither the official plugin or the community plugin are maintained by the Emby team. The plugin version of Emby makes it use a standard version of ffmpeg instead of the customized version made specifically for Emby. There's been a PR request dating as far back as April by a user to correct this, and another made by Luke in Sept... neither have been merged. So take that as you wish, but IMO that's a sign these plugins are not being actively maintained and exactly why you should be looking at the manual install/

They are maintained in the sense that they do get new versions, although we're not sure why they haven't responded to our pull request to update the ffmpeg build.

joewydiart
On 11/17/2021 at 7:01 PM, cayars said:

Hi, have you checked out our website download?
https://emby.media/truenas-server.html

On 11/30/2021 at 3:58 PM, Luke said:

@gmacman I would try the Emby one. Please note that neither of these are packaged by us, so that's why we suggest the sideload install.

We've been trying to contribute changes to the community packages but for whatever reason they haven't been merging them in:

https://github.com/freenas/iocage-plugin-emby/pull/6

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

Can I use either on TrueNas Scale? or Can I use Linux version?

Edited by joewydiart

You would not use the FreeBSD or TrueNAS (which is for core) images as they are based on FreeBSD.
You would want to use a Linux distro on TrueNAS Scale.

I'm pretty sure TrueNAS Scale is built on Debian 11 so that would be the one to use.

On 12/5/2021 at 8:50 PM, Luke said:

They are maintained in the sense that they do get new versions, although we're not sure why they haven't responded to our pull request to update the ffmpeg build.

Looks like they've merged it in now. This should help make the community plugin a more viable option.

@gmacman please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

joewydiart
5 hours ago, cayars said:

You would not use the FreeBSD or TrueNAS (which is for core) images as they are based on FreeBSD.
You would want to use a Linux distro on TrueNAS Scale.

I'm pretty sure TrueNAS Scale is built on Debian 11 so that would be the one to use.

Thank you. Once I build my Server this weekend I will try the one you mentioned. Again Thanks.

8 hours ago, joewydiart said:

Can I use either on TrueNas Scale? or Can I use Linux version?

TrueNAS Core = FreeBSD based

TrueNAS Scale = Linux based

So on scale you would use a linux version if you want to set it up manually. IMO, TrueCharts is the way to go here. (01 - Adding TrueCharts to SCALE - TrueCharts) It will give you a 1-click installation to a ton of linux apps, emby included. It sets it up using the linuxserver.io docker image which is very well maintained. 

• Agree 1

Agree, I wouldn't even consider TrueNAS core at this point. It's hard to not like TrueNAS Scale but that too will depend on the type of file system wanted in the setup.

dhenzler

Regardless of which TrueNAS you elect to use... I'd strongly recommend AGAINST the use of Plugins.

Create a BSD 12.2 Jail

• pkg install -y mono6.8 libass fontconfig freetype2 fribidi gnutls iconv opus sqlite3 libtheora libva ocl-icd libvorbis webp libzvbi libraw ImageMagick6 tesseract intel-media-sdk
  • pkg add -f https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.7.0.18/emby-server-freebsd12_4.7.0.18_amd64.pkg
  • sysrc emby_server_enable="YES"
  • service emby-server start
  • pkg install -y nginx-full
  • pkg install -y openssl
  • create a ssl crt and key file
  • use the pi8.conf file, modify it to point to the crt & key files created above then rename it nginx.conf and move it into the /usr/local/etc/nginx folder

This will create a proxy with SSL encryption.

modify your firewall to convert the external port to port 443 for the IP of your jail

If you have a domain... create a sub domain that points to your Public IP

when your system receives a request with the port number you have chosen, the Nginx proxy will secure the connection and invoke Emby.

Good Luck...

pi8.conf

Edited by dhenzler

joewydiart

Hi guys, just to give you an update without deviating a lot from main topic of this thread. 

So I manage to install TrueNAS Scale with following specs:

AMD RAZEN 7 5700G, 32GB DDR4 3200, Zpool: 3x 14TB RAID-Z, 1 WD NVMe 512gb Cache, 1 WD NVMe 512gb Log. 

I installed TrueCharts and from there installed emby. Manage to configure it and it is working like a charm. 

It would be awesome to see an emby official release and use it, making it less of a pain in the a. I am a premiere user so I don't want to use Plex. Again thank you all for helping!! 

Edited by joewydiart

12 hours ago, joewydiart said:

Hi guys, just to give you an update without deviating a lot from main topic of this thread. 

So I manage to install TrueNAS Scale with following specs:

AMD RAZEN 7 5700G, 32GB DDR4 3200, Zpool: 3x 14TB RAID-Z, 1 WD NVMe 512gb Cache, 1 WD NVMe 512gb Log. 

I installed TrueCharts and from there installed emby. Manage to configure it and it is working like a charm. 

It would be awesome to see an emby official release and use it, making it less of a pain in the a. I am a premiere user so I don't want to use Plex. Again thank you all for helping!! 

You can also use our Docker release on TrueNAS scale.

joewydiart
42 minutes ago, Luke said:

How do I know which one is yours? I am using one that came with Truecharts, but I believe there are two. I'll check tomorrow. 

Edited by joewydiart

dhenzler
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Found it ~

Edited by dhenzler
correction
  • Thanks 1

On 12/12/2021 at 23:39, joewydiart said:

How do I know which one is yours? I am using one that came with Truecharts, but I believe there are two. I'll check tomorrow. 

emby/embyserver - Docker Image | Docker Hub

TrueCharts uses the linuxserver.io docker image for emby which IMO is just as reliable and adds a few options such as theming. I love that I can set a theme in organizr and carry that theme through all of my *arr apps, emby, plex and others.

joewydiart
12 hours ago, MRobi said:

emby/embyserver - Docker Image | Docker Hub

TrueCharts uses the linuxserver.io docker image for emby which IMO is just as reliable and adds a few options such as theming. I love that I can set a theme in organizr and carry that theme through all of my *arr apps, emby, plex and others.

Can you explain me on how to do theme

11 hours ago, joewydiart said:

Can you explain me on how to do theme

It's pretty simple. You need to deploy the container with 2 environment variables added. I don't have TrueNAS running at all right now so I can't tell you exactly where to enter them with the TrueCharts addon, but by memory when you click the app to install it you get a popup window on the right hand side of the screen where you confirm your settings before deploying. It should be in there that you can add the variables.

Emby 🐳⚠️ - theme.park Docs (theme-park.dev)

- DOCKER_MODS=ghcr.io/gilbn/theme.park:emby

- TP_THEME=dark

joewydiart

It's pretty simple. You need to deploy the container with 2 environment variables added. I don't have TrueNAS running at all right now so I can't tell you exactly where to enter them with the TrueCharts addon, but by memory when you click the app to install it you get a popup window on the right hand side of the screen where you confirm your settings before deploying. It should be in there that you can add the variables.

Emby 🐳⚠️ - theme.park Docs (theme-park.dev)

- DOCKER_MODS=ghcr.io/gilbn/theme.park:emby

- TP_THEME=dark

That is way complicated for me. I would like to see all those themes implemented on my emby natively 

Edited by joewydiart
  • Like 1

On 12/11/2021 at 11:57 AM, dhenzler said:

Regardless of which TrueNAS you elect to use... I'd strongly recommend AGAINST the use of Plugins.

Create a BSD 12.2 Jail

• pkg install -y mono6.8 libass fontconfig freetype2 fribidi gnutls iconv opus sqlite3 libtheora libva ocl-icd libvorbis webp libzvbi libraw ImageMagick6 tesseract intel-media-sdk
  • pkg add -f https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.7.0.18/emby-server-freebsd12_4.7.0.18_amd64.pkg
  • sysrc emby_server_enable="YES"
  • service emby-server start
  • pkg install -y nginx-full
  • pkg install -y openssl
  • create a ssl crt and key file
  • use the pi8.conf file, modify it to point to the crt & key files created above then rename it nginx.conf and move it into the /usr/local/etc/nginx folder

This will create a proxy with SSL encryption.

modify your firewall to convert the external port to port 443 for the IP of your jail

If you have a domain... create a sub domain that points to your Public IP

when your system receives a request with the port number you have chosen, the Nginx proxy will secure the connection and invoke Emby.

Good Luck...

pi8.conf 7.8 kB · 0 downloads

Thank you very much.  This is an easy to follow how to for the manual install method which for someone like myself, this is exactly what I would like to see posted.  A fully detailed "low level" (as in helpful to complete noobs like myself) How To. 

I will definitely make another attempt at the manual install on my completely new TrueNAS box.  If you have any further details you would like to share, I would be greatly appreciate it.  Especially around the formation of the jail, the settings, etc.

Thanks again @dhenzler

• 4 months later...