MKVs with Dolby Vision only show black screen

knitowskimedia

FrostByte

Yes, it's a problem that's been going on for a while now with DV profile 7 and I'm guessing profile 8.1 also.  I've got a discussion in the beta section but following this one also since I'm sure it's the same problem. 

Stuff sourced from UHD should fallback to HDR10 on a non-DV television.  The app used to work so I'm sure Luke can fix it.  Luckily, I can still use ATV on my Shield.

• Thanks 1

RanmaCanada
2 hours ago, knitowskimedia said:

we the users have to educate ourselves as it's 100% proprietary and will not become public knowledge. 

This is a contradiction. We're supposed to educate ourselves, but the information will not be available?

DolbyVision is proprietary.  PERIOD.  The information for it will not be made availably by Dolby, PERIOD.  You need certified devices for playback.  Any information about DolbyVision in the public space will have to be reverse engineered.  Because of this, there will be multiple problems with playback of these files where devices either won't hand off the stream to HDR10, or won't play them at all.  Even ripping DV metadata is still in its infancy as makemkv and and the mkv standard have had support for not even 2 years. (it has been possible to rip to MP4 for the last 3).  

As for "what use is a help forum"  again, it's proprietary, and everything around it is hit or miss.  Patience is required as devs learn and hack their way around it while our device manufacturers do what they can to block their work.