Ready to Transfer, but never starts downloading

Marc0

Hi There,

First of all, my first post and what a WONDERFUL piece of software.

My gear:

iPhone 13pro + iOS15.1

Latest iOS app from the Apple Appstore

Server: Latest docker image: 4.6.4.0

The Question:

When I mark a audio file (700MB Flac) for download and offline listening, its get converted and it is ready for transfer.

But the download NEVER starts, also not by forcing the scheduled task, wait for the scheduled task.

What does help, is the shutdown the iOS app and restart it again.... the download starts and I can happy listen to the music.

Why do I have to restart start the iOS app to get the download started?

** Update: 

What ALSO helps

1. open the settings menu from  bottom right

2. open "Downloads" from the section "Emby for iOS'

3. press "start" at bottom left.

This also causes a download of the converted content.

What does help, is the shutdown the iOS app and restart it again.... the download starts and I can happy listen to the music.

Why do I have to restart start the iOS app to get the download started?

Hi, you don't have to do this, but you do have to wait for iOS to execute the Emby background process. That's something where we can't control when that will happen, although if you schedule the download from inside the iOS app, the app will immediately run it manually.

The download settings screen also triggers a manual run of the background process, so that's why that happens.

Well for me the download will never happen if I press the download-button for a piece of content.

The server reports "ready for transfer" and stay in that status. Unless I take action.

I will try again and wait longer.... But the transfer doesn't happen after the download button and waited for the conversion-step.

It is a hit and miss.

1. When downloading MP3 (which doesn't get transcoded), it is immediately placed on the iPhone.

2. When downloading FLAC (which this downscaled to 320k MP3), the file keeps waiting for download

3. When downloading a tv-show of 10 episodes (which get also downscaled), the episodes get downloaded eventually, but some wait a long time  (but I didn't wait for the very last one)

4. When downloading 1 episode of a TV show (which gets downscaled), The episode keeps waiting for download.

• 2 weeks later...

If no transcoding is needed, the app initiates the download right away. If the file has to be converted, then the server does that and then sends a notification to the app. We'll look at improving that part. Thanks.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
stefsegers

I have the same issue. On the iPad I go to an episode, click download original files without converting. In the downloads you see waiting to be sent, but nothing ever happens.

also tried download to to use an other folder but same thing.

currently I am on a slow internet connection and love to download before watching, but can not make this work.

what step did I forget to make this work?

On 4/29/2022 at 3:10 AM, stefsegers said:

I have the same issue. On the iPad I go to an episode, click download original files without converting. In the downloads you see waiting to be sent, but nothing ever happens.

also tried download to to use an other folder but same thing.

currently I am on a slow internet connection and love to download before watching, but can not make this work.

what step did I forget to make this work?

Hi, have the downloads completed?

stefsegers

No I watched the series as a stream, but wanted to download upfront.

maybe the network of the hotel did not allow to download?

Happy2Play

Nope they sit at ready to download.

snake98
On 11/12/2021 at 6:32 AM, Luke said:

have to do this, but you do have to wait for iOS to execute the Emby background p

I have the same issues, and i'm running the ios emby beta.

• 2 weeks later...
iBoss

@Luke

I have the  issue with emby iOS devices and emby app for macOS. I have tested the download on emby Android mobile and it works

it say "ready for transfer" and stay in that status.

have you know about this issue? because this topic about it so I have not report the log file.

if you would like, I'll post the log

emby server  4.7.0.60

Linux: Ubuntu 20.04.4

Thanks

Edited by iBoss

• 2 weeks later...
hstamas

Going on my first post pandemic trip tomorrow. I knew from years ago that Embys download/transfer feature was temperamental but just ASSummed after all these years things had improved yet here I am staring at my iPhone after initiating a download of 4 episodes of a tv show with nothing showing on my device and Emby server sitting there staring “ready to transfer”.

Wish I still had plex installed for times like this.

creyn63

Yeah, same problem here.

I try to download on my iPad, it for some reason comes up under downloads as my iPhone... (maybe because I'm hotspotting my iPad from my phone...?)

Then just sits as "Ready to Transfer" but.. doesn't let me do anything with it. 

Edit: just really want it to download to my iPad.

Restarted the apps, appears it's stuck on "Transferring 0%" under my iPhone... the download shows on my iPad, but it's saying it's for my iPhone.. and stuck on transferring 0%. No activity on server

Edited by creyn63

Having the same issue.. Emby server on Synology NAS, downloading to 2021 iPad Pro.

Attempting to download Movie original file, sits in "Ready to Transfer" status indefinitely.  Some TV Shows will work, but if I download a season to take on the road with me, sometimes it will miss an episode.  Movie downloads have not worked since I have tried it beginning in 2021.

Edited by chzx

hstamas
On 6/4/2022 at 4:32 PM, hstamas said:

Going on my first post pandemic trip tomorrow. I knew from years ago that Embys download/transfer feature was temperamental but just ASSummed after all these years things had improved yet here I am staring at my iPhone after initiating a download of 4 episodes of a tv show with nothing showing on my device and Emby server sitting there staring “ready to transfer”.

Wish I still had plex installed for times like this.

Yeah it never did work. Ended up having to download via my Infuse media player app which worked flawlessly.

Very disappointed that I cant use Emby for all my media needs and that this feature is as useless as it was 5+ years ago. This really should just be removed all together until the Devs can get it working. Everything mentioned above has been and still is all the same complaints.

Plex beats Emby in the syncing department hands down.

Edited by hstamas

• 2 weeks later...
cptbrainia
On 6/14/2022 at 7:07 AM, hstamas said:

Yeah it never did work. Ended up having to download via my Infuse media player app which worked flawlessly.

Very disappointed that I cant use Emby for all my media needs and that this feature is as useless as it was 5+ years ago. This really should just be removed all together until the Devs can get it working. Everything mentioned above has been and still is all the same complaints.

Plex beats Emby in the syncing department hands down.

I hate to jump on the band wagon here, but this is the same thing for me.  I'm already having to sign up for other services and download other software so that I can have "mobile media" with me on my upcoming vacation.  It really sucks to not be able to take any of my Emby library with me.

I agree that this feature should be removed from the Emby Premiere feature list until it's working properly. 

hstamas
7 hours ago, cptbrainia said:

I agree that this feature should be removed from the Emby Premiere feature list until it's working properly. 

Thats the thing. It is prominent displayed on their Premiere website. They are using it as a sales incentive so it should at least try to work. this isnt a freeware feature that can be dismissed with a statement like "you got it for free - stop complaining".

The fact that its been this way for literally years doesnt help either.

Edited by hstamas

Happy2Play
6 hours ago, hstamas said:

The fact that its been this way for literally years doesnt help either.

But it hasn't as it use to work.  So hopefully it is resolved in the next client update.

EmbyOak

I can confirm this feature used to work, back in March.  I do not recall what version I was running but it was a beta version.  It is not working on an iPhone 12 and 13 as well as an iPad Pro 10.5" and the new large iPad Pro.

jbirmingham40

I was getting stuck on the "Ready to transfer" screen.  I saw a couple of issues that I was able to resolve. 

The first issue is that Emby seemed to be confused as to what device I was using.  I assume this is because I replaced my ipad with a new one with the same name.  This seemed to have confused Emby.  I went into Admin/Devices and deleted the old device which seems to have helped. 

After this change, however, when I tried again to download a movie, the movie showed up under an unrelated device with an entirely different name.  I tried several times and it happened in all cases.  It happens to be the first device list in the Admin/Devices/Downloads which might be related.  To work around this issue, I opened emby in a browser and chose the Download To option which lets you specify a device name.  It defaulted to the other device for some reason.  I changed it to my ipad name and it correctly added the download to my device.   I am now seeing the Transfering 0% message as expected.  This feels like a bug.  At least there is a workaround.

All the movies have now downloaded correctly.  FWIW, I have found that using the Emby app on my ipad in the background seems to trigger the iOS event which causes the download to actually happen.  This trick has never failed me.