Making it possible to make client themes for all different device?

fillidill

fillidill

I love Emby and I am using it on multiple devices. I've themed the web client exactly how I would want it to look but there is no way for me to do this on other devices it seems like.

How hard would it be to implement a functionality to be able to make a custom theme that affects all the different devices? Or being able to make themes for specific devices, maybe like a plugin? With the help of this amazing community I am guessing it wouldn't take long before there was a lot of different themes for the user to choose from.

MBSki

At a minimum, all devices should have the same available themes. Right now it seems different devices have different themes and you can't always use the theme you used in the web app.

Happy2Play

With devices being coded in different languages there is no one size fits all as device coding is not interchangeable.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, mbarylski said:

At a minimum, all devices should have the same available themes. Right now it seems different devices have different themes and you can't always use the theme you used in the web app.

That's the ideal, yes, it's just a challenge to get there based on what happy2play said as well as level of importance vs. other features.

MBSki
13 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

With devices being coded in different languages there is no one size fits all as device coding is not interchangeable.

Huh? I'm talking about themes. Maybe I've got this wrong but I thought themes were just the color scheme. All platforms can include the same color themes as any other platform.

MBSki
1 minute ago, Luke said:

That's the ideal, yes, it's just a challenge to get there based on what happy2play said as well as level of importance vs. other features.

Level of importance makes sense. I definitely wouldn't put it at the top of my list. It is quite possible though regardless of what platform is used.

Happy2Play
Just now, mbarylski said:

Huh? I'm talking about themes. Maybe I've got this wrong but I thought themes were just the color scheme. All platforms can include the same color themes as any other platform.

The code to do the is not interchangeable across platforms and has to be written for each.  So making a theme for a web browser can not just be dropped into any other platform.

MBSki
2 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

The code to do the is not interchangeable across platforms and has to be written for each.  So making a theme for a web browser can not just be dropped into any other platform.

Yes, that I know. Sorry. I wasn't following your point. I get it now. It is possible, it just takes time. 😁

Happy2Play
33 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

Yes, that I know. Sorry. I wasn't following your point. I get it now. It is possible, it just takes time. 😁

True so a 1 day task making a theme for web client becomes what 6+ days making it compatible for Android, Apple, Roku, All TV models?  As each platform would need tweaking its own code.  Then there is mobile and touch compatibilities also.  So yes lots of time. 

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, mbarylski said:

But I'm pretty sure the OP is talking about CSS...

17 hours ago, fillidill said:

I've themed the web client exactly how I would want it to look...to be able to make a custom theme that affects all the different devices?

fillidill
22 minutes ago, ebr said:

But I'm pretty sure the OP is talking about CSS...

Actually not really. It doesn't really matter to me which technique is used but if normal users could make custom plugins/themes that affected all devices or specific devices that would be awesome. 

15 minutes ago, fillidill said:

Actually not really

When you said you had "themed" the web app, you did this with CSS, correct?

fillidill
1 hour ago, ebr said:

When you said you had "themed" the web app, you did this with CSS, correct?

Yeah sorry if I was unclear. To me, it is more important to actually be able to do it more than how it is done. As long as it can be done by me as a user.