Handling of music albums created by two artists (not Various Artists)

zowie

Hello,

I am trying to improve the presentation of my music library. As recommended here I have used Musicbrainz Picard to structure my music library. While doing that I noticed, that some albums have two or more dedicated artists, but are not "Various Artists" albums. Picard saves them in an artist folder "Dire Straits & Mark Knopfler" for example.

Could you tell, if this is supported by MediaBrowser? How is this handled? For example I currently don't know in which format to enter the MusicBrainz Id for the two artists in the artist id field in the Metadata-Manager. I have no idea how to enter the data, neither in the web interface nor in the artist.nfo file directly. Is there a designated delimiter char for MusicBrainz Ids?

Note: This is not about "Various Artists". This is about releases that are created two or more artists that are explicitly mentioned. MusicBrainz Picard shows a multiline editor, if you edit the MusicBrainz_albumartistId of an album like this..

Some examples:

http://musicbrainz.org/release/31b5e06f-8415-4fda-b313-b1bb6008a859 - Johnny Cash & June Carter Cash

http://musicbrainz.org/release/f9b13c2e-6ac9-4110-9eed-ee0dca9e50cc - John Kerr & Ron Boots

http://musicbrainz.org/release/3ce154a1-bd6f-4c9f-8bb8-2ca0cfb63779 - Dire Straits & Mark Knopfler

Update:

Just found out that "/" is used as a delimiter. This seems to be fine. But no metadata or pictures are shown.

Currently MediaBrowser does not detect the correct MusicBrainz Id and it does find any pictures.

Edited by zowie

Hi

I wish I had a definitive answer for you. I believe for what you are asking the answer is no. MB3 currently does not support multiple "distinct" artists at the album level. I have tried multiple formats, delimiters "/" or ";" and MB3 will always create one album artist. To use one of your examples

Album Artist   Johnny Cash & June Carter Cash  = mb3 album artist   "Johnny Cash & June Carter Cash"

Johnny Cash/June Carter Cash      =Mb3 album artist    "Johnny Cash/June Carter Cash"

Johnny Cash;June Carter Cash      =Mb3 album artist    "Johnny Cash;June Carter Cash"

I think what we are looking for is  =Mb3 album artist  "Johnny Cash" / "June Carter Cash"  

a similar scenario happens with "artist featuring xyx" at the track level. An artist "Johnny Cash featuring June Carter Cash" is created.

As a workaround I just pick one artist at the album level and put in both as artists with the delimiter of you choice. I use ";" but it doesn't matter MB3 supports both.

I think the above is correct, if not others will chime in. I am sure others handle the scenario differently as well.  If there is enough interest adding a feature request would help.

Welcome to the forums BTW!

Edited by Vicpa
  • Like 2

Hello Vicpa,

thank you for the quick reply. I will choose the attempt that you suggested with two IDs with a delimiter.

I would prefer "/", because the generated URL will work then. E.g. 614e3804-7d34-41ba-857f-811bad7c2b7a/e49f69da-17d5-4c5c-bac0-dadcb0e588f5 this will call http://musicbrainz.org/artist/614e3804-7d34-41ba-857f-811bad7c2b7a/e49f69da-17d5-4c5c-bac0-dadcb0e588f5, which is DireStraits. If you exchang the order e49f69da-17d5-4c5c-bac0-dadcb0e588f5/614e3804-7d34-41ba-857f-811bad7c2b7a it generates http://musicbrainz.org/artist/e49f69da-17d5-4c5c-bac0-dadcb0e588f5/614e3804-7d34-41ba-857f-811bad7c2b7a , which is Mark Knopflers page.

I think there is no real issue, because there are not many of these albums. But to get some good pictures for the artist is difficult to automate, because there just is no dedicated "one" artist.

MediaBrowser is really impressive. Good work.

I think there is no real issue, because there are not many of these albums. 

Those of us with classical music collections would beg to differ, because most of them have multiple artists represented in the Album Artist metadata. Orchestral works will have both the orchestra and the conductor listed as separate artists, while operas will also list the lead singers, and often the chorus.

But I accept that classical music is not a focus of the MediaBrowser team. I just hope that it won't be forgotten entirely.

Just want to give some input, that the "Identify" function has a problem with this kind of albums.

Here is an example for "Prince & The New Power Generation". Musicbrainz Picard stores the "Diamonds and Perls" album in a folder named "Prince & The New Power Generation". The mp3-Tag "musicbrainz_album_artist_id" that is written into the mp3-files of this album gets the value "070d193a-845c-479f-980e-bef15710653e/51d63176-56e8-45b9-88e3-81e6436473f3". This means the track is created by the two artists "Prince" and "The New Power Generation":

Prince: http://musicbrainz.org/artist/070d193a-845c-479f-980e-bef15710653e

The New Power Generation: http://musicbrainz.org/artist/51d63176-56e8-45b9-88e3-81e6436473f3

The album "Diamonds and Pearls" is listed for both artists on the Musicbrainz Webpage. I think at Discogs the structure is the same. One Release/Album can be assigned to multiple artists. Picard creates the artist folder from the musicbrainz_album_artist_id.

If you use "Identfiy" you will get this result:

54133d4e18a45_PrinceTheNewPowerGeneratio

It would be better, if a message like "Multiartist albums are not supported" is shown here, if a delimiter is found in the ID field.

@@gcoupe

Maybe we should put in FR?  I am sure the dev team can come up with something that would work for all genres.

I don't know what else is on your "wish list". Better support for composers and the scraping of performer tags are on mine. Maybe a list is called for :)

We do support multiple album artists in the data layer. It hasnt made its way into the apps yet because i ve just been hesitating to change the api on 15 developers.

The comma delimited id thing won't work

• Like 1

We do support multiple album artists in the data layer. It hasnt made its way into the apps yet because i ve just been hesitating to change the api on 15 developers.

The comma delimited id thing won't work

Hello Luke,

good to hear that the data structure is ready to support this and that you are already aware of these relations.

Personally I would vote to address this in the next major release. It's nothing I couldn't live with and completely I agree that it's not worth the risk of major changes.

FrostByte

Agree this has been a minor annoyance for me also and I have probably around 50+ cds where this is a problem.  I can wait until it's the right time for the fix also.  For now I just pick the better known artist which isn't bad if there is only one major artist though kind of sucks when you have to choose one between artists like Jimmy Page or Robert Plant or The Black Crowes to put in the album artists field. 

• 6 months later...
steve1977

Just looking at this old thread and curious whether the API has been changed to reflect this? Thanks in advance!

• 5 years later...