Emby DLNA and Quest 2

kornster

kornster

Good Morning and apologies if this has been answered. Has anyone had success in DLNA working with the BigScreenVR app on the Quest 2. I read a forum post here a while ago stating to change to broadcast from 60 seconds to 30 which i have done but i have not been successful thus far. 

I have a Plex server running on the same Linux box and this works through the BigScreenVR app. Given Emby is my preferred option for serving media, i`d like to try and work on getting this to work through the Quest 2 BigScreenVR app.

The BigScreenVR app can see the DLNA Emby server but opening it doesnt show me anything. When i use the Plex DLNA i can see all my content.

Has anyone had success?

ScreenShot140.jpg

Hi, try selecting the default user in dlna settings to control which user's library content to display. Please see if that helps. Thanks.

kornster

Thanks Luke, i saw that after i posted this. I`ll change that and test it shortly and report back.

• Thanks 1

I’m not the OP, but I’m also trying to get DLNA working in BigScreen on my Quest 2, with no luck. 

In BS, I click on the Video Player and then DLNA, and it sees my PC! Great! But when I click on it, I just get an infinitely spinning green circle. 

I have a user set in my Emby settings DLNA section, but maybe I need to adjust another setting, too?

TIA for any tips. 

2 hours ago, oyjord said:

I’m not the OP, but I’m also trying to get DLNA working in BigScreen on my Quest 2, with no luck. 

In BS, I click on the Video Player and then DLNA, and it sees my PC! Great! But when I click on it, I just get an infinitely spinning green circle. 

I have a user set in my Emby settings DLNA section, but maybe I need to adjust another setting, too?

TIA for any tips. 

Hi, are you able to use other Dlna apps to connect to your emby server, such as windows media player?

kornster

Hi Luke and oyjord. I`ve done some testing and DLNA works with other apps, one that i paid for was Skybox VR. It appears this issue is directly with the BigscreenVR App. I have several smart tv`s in the house as well and they can all see the Emby DLNA and play from it. 

I have not yet worked out how to resolve the BigscreenVR issue as it has issues with both Emby and Plex DLNA so this isnt isolated directly to your Emby server but the application on the Quest 2.

4 minutes ago, kornster said:

Hi Luke and oyjord. I`ve done some testing and DLNA works with other apps, one that i paid for was Skybox VR. It appears this issue is directly with the BigscreenVR App. I have several smart tv`s in the house as well and they can all see the Emby DLNA and play from it. 

I have not yet worked out how to resolve the BigscreenVR issue as it has issues with both Emby and Plex DLNA so this isnt isolated directly to your Emby server but the application on the Quest 2.

Hi, so you're saying you can browse your emby server content with Skybox VR ?

kornster
2 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, so you're saying you can browse your emby server content with Skybox VR ?

Hi Luke, Yes that is correct. This appears to be an issues specifically with the Oculus App "BigscreenVR". Sykbox VR has a section for network and can see both my Emby and Plex DLNA shares and navigate them both without any issues. 

Note: Skybox VR is a paid application and i bought it purely for testing outside of the BigScreenVR application which is still in BETA, so perhaps some updates will come in the future that fixes this. 

This is a not a solution but kind of is so im unsure how to classify it. All i can say is the issue is not related to the Emby server/application. 

Edited by kornster

kornster
22 hours ago, oyjord said:

TIA for any tips. 

@oyjordYou can try lowering the time down in Emby Server Settings/DLNA from 60 seconds to 30 seconds as i saw in an older thread post on the forums here but i had no success in it fixing the issue. The above was changed to attempt to resolve the DLNA with the BigScreenVR Application. As i stated Skybox VR worked as it supports DLNA. You could try searching for a free application that supports DLNA from the developer but you would need to test this yourself. I can only confirm Skybox VR worked for me in my testing.

Edited by kornster

• 8 months later...

The article linked to by kornster unfortunately states at the top that the solution is not currently available for the Quest 2... :(

gihayes

You can't view 3D movies if you use the browser, right. That's why I use Skybox.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2022 at 6:58 PM, gihayes said:

You can't view 3D movies if you use the browser, right. That's why I use Skybox.

Hi, well you can, but whether it renders in 3D or not will depend on what the browser supports.

gihayes

The Oculus Firefox browser used to, but I don't know if the default Oculus browser does.

Edited by gihayes
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

Big Screen DLNA support with Emby Server is resolved in the Emby DLNA plugin version 1.1.4+. Thanks !