Unable to assign permissions for emby user acct on Synology NAS DSM 7.

Garyk4279

Garyk4279

I installed Emby Server on my new Synology NAS, but have been unable to configure it properly because the emby acct doesn't have proper permissions. I did not explicitly create the emby acct, it was apparently created during the install process. The DSM User & Group utility doesn't show the emby account, but it exists in the /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files. I ssh to the NAS, but am not allowed to edit those files to delete the emby acct. Any suggestions?

FrostByte

With DSM 7 the emby account is now a system internal user.  Make sure you click the drop down box when setting permissions on your shared folder(s)

perm.jpg.284c6537389d36ecb769a0fd9b92bdc1.jpg

• Like 2

@FrostByte We repeat this so many times I think we should make that the startup page on Synology server until the person dismissing it. :)

• Haha 1

FrostByte
3 hours ago, Garyk4279 said:

Thanks all for the help! Emby server is now working from the NAS.

Excellent.

@cayarsdo we have any DSM 7 instructions for new installs?  There was an old one for DSM 6, but not everyone is upgrading DSM6-DSM7 when they first install Emby 

Not that I know of but we can make that happen. :)
What would we need other than instructions on how to set permissions on shares using system internal user?
Maybe optionally how to setup remote paths mounted to the file system as well.

Anything else?

FrostByte
17 minutes ago, cayars said:

Not that I know of but we can make that happen. :)
What would we need other than instructions on how to set permissions on shares using system internal user?
Maybe optionally how to setup remote paths mounted to the file system as well.

Anything else?

Those are the biggies.  You could do screen shots of everything including during the install but I think permissions and both the folder/shared folder are the two that get most people on their first install like you mentioned.

• Like 1

bjjones

Maybe add in some notes on setting up the network piece for allowing remote users to access it. Most start off using their Emby server inside their own 4 walls but eventually need to share it outside to family members once they find out about it lol.

• Like 1

FrostByte

That would be nice too, but maybe a link from the initial install procedures because not everyone will need them?

• 1 month later...
MikeyMan

I freshly installed emby on my new dsm7 Nas I got today. I can find the internal user, and have given it access to the folders necessary (not very user friendly, but that's down to Synology I guess...). However, I can only access one of the folders. Gave them all the same treatment. Very weird. Any ideas?

2 hours ago, MikeyMan said:

I freshly installed emby on my new dsm7 Nas I got today. I can find the internal user, and have given it access to the folders necessary (not very user friendly, but that's down to Synology I guess...). However, I can only access one of the folders. Gave them all the same treatment. Very weird. Any ideas?

Are both these folders on the same share?
Can you describe a bit more in detail exactly what the problem is? Maybe a screen shot?

FrostByte

BTW you typically only have one shared folder on your NAS which you have to give permissions to.  Your libraries are then subfolders ("Movies", "TV shows", etc) underneath your shared folder.   Your libraries should not be shared folders and you shouldn't have to give permissions to each of them individually. 

The only other folder you might need to give emby permissions to is the backup folder because it's separate, or if you have libraries on different volumes or something unique like that.

Edited by FrostByte

MikeyMan

I have separate shares for the different types of media. 

/Volume1/Films
/Volume1/Concerten
/Volume1/Series
/Volume1/Backups

Had this setup for years now on my NAS in order to make it easy to find and share them.

Somehow 'Concerten' and 'Series' work just fine. 
Strange thing is that the 'property screen' of some folders look different than others:

These work:1517744188_Concertfolder.png.f5245b0b6126cb329f95999db4fed86a.png1159875166_backupfolder.png.2d1cdceece54668eaf44e845557800f0.png

These don't:

593093400_Seriesfolder.png.f809652769350202a56b307a21a56f91.png

1628639115_Moviefolder.png.a735364bf8d91530c68413e605b5e50a.png

And yes, for all of them i've set the 'Internal user Emby' as allowed:

1500749466_Seriesinternal.png.d940cf25f2b684a06cb1ec8da0f089b1.png

All folders are set to owner 'Admin' and group 'users'. This is not inconsistent either....

Even weirder; both embysvr (user) and emby (internal user) are not allowed to access 'Albums'. However, i can access it from emby.
I'm lost.

Edited by MikeyMan

MikeyMan

Tried something else... Chmod to 777. Shouldn't be neccesary should it?

Guess what folder now shows up in Emby:

homeland.png.471f1b75ad00bdacf5d0b73148c1df1a.png

Strangest thing; because all of these do show up:

concerts.png.fc0f576a132bec90ff925ed9b5e6ad86.png

Edited by MikeyMan
  • Like 1

FrostByte

One of the benefits of having your libraries as subfolders to the one share is that they will inherit the permissions of your share and should be good to go when created. 

My guess is that if you create a new share for every library under volume1, you may have to address issues with the folder/file permission also depending on how they were created.

• Like 1

MikeyMan
10 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

One of the benefits of having your libraries as subfolders to the one share is that they will inherit the permissions of your share and should be good to go when created. 

My guess is that if you create a new share for every library under volume1, you may have to address issues with the folder/file permission also depending on how they were created.

That sounds logical, but i cannot get my head around different folders having the same exact permissions, and behaving differently.

BTW; i'm totally willing and able to move the stuff around, but i'm especially worried about losing the play state of the many tv-shows i have. Can we solve that somehow?

Edited by MikeyMan

18 hours ago, MikeyMan said:

I have separate shares for the different types of media. 

/Volume1/Films
/Volume1/Concerten
/Volume1/Series
/Volume1/Backups

There is nothing wrong technically from doing this but it just makes a lot more work for you to manage it.

I do what @FrostByte said and just use one share per volume.
For me that share is "Media" and mine looks like this:

/volume1/Media/Christmas
/volume1/Media/DVR
/volume1/Media/HomeMovies
/volume1/Media/Movies
/volume1/Media/Pictures
/volume1/Media/Sports
/volume1/Media/TVShows
/volume1/Media/VOD

Each of those has sub directories of course but I only have one share "Media" to worry about permissions.  Or if something went funky I have one place to reset (with changes to everything underneath).

My only exceptions are the backup location as Frostbyte mentioned and possibly the transcode directory.
I have multiple volumes since I only have 4 internal drives but 8 drives attached from the USB/eSata external bay enclosure plugged into it. Just additional volumes but same thing as above.

• Like 1