Has download behavior changed again?

revengineer

revengineer

I was recently on travel and tried downloading shows from emby to my mobile device through a VPN connection to my home network. I cringed when I saw the dreaded "Ready to transfer" message not go away; the shows never downloaded. We have had this issue multiple times in the past. However, to my surprise, when I came home and connected directly to my home network, the shows downloaded without issues. So something seems to have changed in the emby app that treats my VPN connection different from direct connection to the home network. Emby server runs on the home network (192.168.x.x) and VPN network is 10.x.x.x. Firewall rules let all traffic flow between these networks. Any clues what might be going on?

revengineer

I confirm that download on wifi only is checked, but this applied since I was connect to a hotel wifi when I attempted the downloaded. So connection was hotel open wifi through OpenVPN tunnel is my pfSense firewall to 10.x network, then routed to 192.168.x LAN on which emby server is running. This has worked without issues in the past. I have not been travelling as regularly due to t he pandemic so I am not sure when the behavior changed.

revengineer

@Luke unckecking the download wifi only box does not solve the issue. However, I did notice that I can download remotely through wireguard. I then checked the firewall rules between my wireguard and openvpn interfaces, and they are different. I now made them the same and will test tomorrow from work again to see if VPN download now works. I will report back with my findings.

revengineer

So, since it's a holiday here, I took a short cut to test over the cell phone network using OpenVPN connection and disabling "download wifi only". It seems that this is working with the firewall rules disabled. I will continue testing, but this is perhaps resolved by fixing an error on my end. I will report back only if I find anything else noteworthy. Thank you for entertaining my brain farts.