Odd Emby Connect Issues and Playback on Ipad

CassTG

Have to say one of my friends had the same problem yesterday.

Only affects ios. She had an issue I will raise in separate forum post so she uninstalled the app and tried to login with known credentials connect and password.

It kept saying invalid user details. I remove her password serverside and reset it.

She tried 3 times with the new password same result.

I logged Into Firefox with these same credentials instantly but ios refused everytime

Okay

So my partner uses an Ipad occasionally when housesitting, this was first used 2 weeks ago. She was on the owners Wifi.

She had no issues at all playing back some episodes when first using it.

Then, When she was back at her home address she went to carry on the series and the following happens

• Start Playback, first frame displayed then constant circle and playback does not progress.

It should be noted i had created mobile versions due to the series having DTS and forcing transcode.

Also it should be noted the LOGS are of no use, it just shows the app updating playing status correctly. Watching the dashboard it counts up for 10 seconds and then goes back 10 seconds (as it's obv not playing and i believe the update status is every 10 secs predicting whats passed). Again the logs contain no errors at all.

This happened on transcoding, and the MOBILE Version which when we sorted it it would Direct Play fine.

So we tried a cpl of measures first one of which worked

• Rebooted her router which had never been done
  • Uninstalled the App and reinstalled.

Playback suddenly started again no issues.

Now she was back at the other house on their wifi last night and wanted to continue watching and guess what

• Start Playback, first frame displayed then constant circle and playback does not progress.

So she uninstalled the app again and reinstalled but now a new issue arrised

• Her password was not being accepted 

So i reset her password server side, however it just kept stating incorrect user/password. I tried via firefox on my mac and those credentials logged in fine.

As a point of note and something that is also odd is the following:

82350239_Screenshot2021-11-06at23_30_17.png.7834a94a246b8ef3808426a41fb363b0.png

This was when the issue was occurring

However taking a look at devices the IPAD Does not appear at all as if it has never connected

1878626207_Screenshot2021-11-06at23_29_35.png.ebae6c1c2777f70265ef828299d1c36b.png

As you can see no Ipad every showing as being connected

For reference:

• Linux Docker - Latest Beta
  • Ipad App as per app store
  • No other devices have this issue

Also as a seperate question, if you update the password on the server, is that the same password that is used when you visit emby.media/pin or is that still the forum password?

It seems odd that this happens when the Ipad switches to different networks, as if its cache something. but now the logon issue is out of the blue.

Edited by CassTG

but now the logon issue is out of the blue.

We'd have to look at the server log, but my guess is you have a restriction in place that you've forgotten about, or the user is confusing the difference between Emby Connect authentication and local Emby Server authentication. For example, trying to use Emby Connect credentials against your local server, or using local server credentials on the emby connect login screen.

I will summarise

• I have logs as i downloaded them onto my phone, i will cleanse them and add to this post, but they show no error so will be a fruitless exercise
  • I have Video screencast of the Ipad connected (not according to devices) and showing the initial Non Playing issue that affects the IOS devices only
  • I have no restrictions, trust me i know the in's and out's of everything thats going on on my server and containers,
  • Fail2ban at both server level and proxy container level had no bans

I will upload the screen recording to youtube and will paste the link here, this was shot at the same time the logs were taken.

Lastly and on your point regarding Passwords

This is another example where Emby is less of a positive experience that only techy people will understand.

I will point out as a techy person i get the logic behind the work flow, but less techy people expect this to happen:

• Less Techy user (i.e my other half), forgets their emby connect password
  • Asks me to reset their password, which i do
  • Less techy user needs to re-sign in on a tv and visits emby.media/pin
  • Less tech user uses new password not realising it won't work
  • Less techy user annoys the hell out of techy user and they now divorce and she gets custody of the cat.

Would it not be possible, where if a user has been added to the server via an EmbyConnect username in the server panel, that when a password is updated on the server, it reflects at emby.media/pin

I know in an ideal world people would just remember their blooming password but this world is less than ideal lol

Edited by CassTG

Would it not be possible, where if a user has been added to the server via an EmbyConnect username in the server panel, that when a password is updated on the server, it reflects at emby.media/pin

Ultimately they are still two different login systems, but yes we are constantly looking at ways of improving it. Thanks for the feedback.