HI everyone,About character renaming refresh metadata

Joechung
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Joechung

Regarding the character's name being changed manually and refreshing the metadata, the name still cannot be restored. How can I restore the character's name to be the same as the original TMDB data?
I tried manual identification and metadata refreshing and overwriting many times, but I couldn't restore to the original state of TMDB.

Is there a way to restore the original name? Because I modified a lot of personal names and wanted to restore all the changed character names back to the original state of TMDB, I wanted to find a way to restore the character names.
Looking forward to your reply. thanks

image.png.06c642b69b66d8fad1f7d19f2b6dd640.pngimage.png.beb66a73c884a3e268753947f6c67664.png

GrimReaper

Your character name (Title field) likely got locked upon you manually appending it, remove lock before refreshing metadata. 

Joechung
2 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Your character name (Title field) likely got locked upon you manually appending it, remove lock before refreshing metadata. 

HI Hello, I have noticed the lock you mentioned, but I chose to unlock all of them, which means I refreshed the character metadata without locking, but unfortunately the character name has not changed.
Now no matter if I choose to refresh the metadata coverage or manually identify the person's name, the person's name cannot be changed, unless I manually change the person's name metadata.

So I want to find a way to refresh and restore the character's name.

image.thumb.png.451048da3dc81ad1d55a6e86d9ca44a4.png

GrimReaper

Hm, for a small test, do you know where is \programdata\metadata\people folder located in your QNAP? 

Joechung
3 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Hm, for a small test, do you know where is \programdata\metadata\people folder located in your QNAP? 

Yeah, I know. I am willing to cooperate, how do you need me to cooperate with you?

image.png.12d0b05e5bf93f9b50d4f73c919e5c18.png

Joechung

Before asking you, I myself tried to find the person’s information from people and delete it, and then re-identify the person in EMBY, but I found that the person’s name is still the same as I modified it before.
In EMBY, the person's name in TMDB cannot be restored through identification and metadata refresh.

Edited by Joechung

GrimReaper
2 minutes ago, Joechung said:

Yeah, I know. I am willing to cooperate, how do you need me to cooperate with you?

image.png.12d0b05e5bf93f9b50d4f73c919e5c18.png

Yeah, that's what I wanted you to do. As you can see there, you actually have TWO folders for that person now, in the form of name-tmdbid. 

Question now is whether name change in metadata should result in new name-imdbid subfolder being created (then the old one should be deleted, to not have two different persons with same tmdbid) or only person.nfo in the original one being updated. Both options would have it's shortcomings. 

@Luke

Anyway, delete that first folder and then try Identify. 

Joechung
9 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Ah, just saw it now, if I understood correctly you already did that? 

Yes, you did not understand it wrong. I have already done this. The character name of EMBY has not changed, the same is "Kenny Bee 钟镇涛", and the "Kenny Bee 钟镇涛" folder is automatically generated in the person folder.image.png.7e05cc46ddefa2e506ef3a8c0f6c045f.png

Joechung

I think you can test it in your own EMBY. After selecting an actor name and changing the name, try to use recognition or refresh overwrite metadata to see if the original character name in TMDB will be restored.

GrimReaper
7 minutes ago, Joechung said:

I think you can test it in your own EMBY. After selecting an actor name and changing the name, try to use recognition or refresh overwrite metadata to see if the original character name in TMDB will be restored.

No need, I beleive you, trying to think what would be the most viable solution in this case. 

Maybe introduce <originaltitle> tag for persons which would refer to exactly how the person name/id is returned from provider and follow that through the folder structure, hence <title> could be changed at will but it will not affect anything besides Display name, as Original Title would be retained? 

Or Identify should simply wipe all existing name/id references and create only and exactly the person as it was identified?

Edited by GrimReaper

Joechung
10 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

hence <title> could be changed at will but it will not affect anything besides Display name, as Original Title would be retained? 

Sorry, I don’t quite understand what you mean here?
I am doing any action now, refreshing the metadata, manually identifying, or refreshing the metadata for the entire movie. The original title of the character shows the same as I changed before, "Kenny Bee 钟镇涛" (without lock)

I want to know if there is any way for EMBY to restore the original title to the actors by refreshing or deleting the information.

GrimReaper
1 minute ago, Joechung said:

Sorry, I don’t quite understand what you mean here?
I am doing any action now, refreshing the metadata, manually identifying, or refreshing the metadata for the entire movie. The original title of the character shows the same as I changed before, "Kenny Bee 钟镇涛" (without lock)

I want to know if there is any way for EMBY to restore the original title to the actors by refreshing or deleting the information.

No, that was not directed to you, that was just me cotemplating aloud. Without @Luke's input, I don't think there is anything you can currently do. 

Joechung
8 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

No, that was not directed to you, that was just me cotemplating aloud. Without @Luke's input, I don't think there is anything you can currently do. 

Okay, actually I really want to know, where is the folder that records the user’s change of the original title? I tried to delete the path S:\programdata\metadata\people, but after the metadata is refreshed, the character title is the same as I changed before. Example: Kenny Bee and Zhong Zhentao, so I concluded that the place where the original title change of our user is recorded is not "people" Inside, but elsewhere.
I personally think that as long as we find the EMBY file that records our users’ changes to the original title, this problem can be solved.

Edited by Joechung

GrimReaper
3 minutes ago, Joechung said:

Okay, actually I really want to know, where is the folder that records the user’s change of the original title? I tried to delete the path S:\programdata\metadata\people, but the character title is the same as I changed before. Example: Kenny Bee Zhong Zhentao, so I concluded that the place where the original title changes of our users are recorded is not in "people", but In other places.
I personally think that as long as we find the EMBY file that records our users’ changes to the original title, this problem can be solved.

My guess would be that person data get retained in the db, as I've seen occurences of persons being present even if items they starr in have been removed. But that's something for the Devs to comment on, as I've used a lot People plugins throughout the years, that might be simply side-effect of those. 

Edited by GrimReaper

Joechung
3 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

My guess would be that person data get retained in the db, as I've seen occurences of persons being present even if items they starr in have been removed. But that's something for the Devs to comment on, as I've used a lot People plugins throughout the years, that might be simply side-effect of those. 

Thank you for your answer, I agree, and I have actually tested your statement, well, now I can only wait for the developer to answer.

@Luke

But that's something for the Devs to comment on, as I've used a lot People plugins throughout the years, that might be simply side-effect of those. 

It probably is, but I can't say for sure as I haven't seen their source code.

What I can say for sure is that person records get cleared out of the database once they're no longer assigned to any media.

Happy2Play
16 minutes ago, Luke said:

What I can say for sure is that person records get cleared out of the database once they're no longer assigned to any media.

But that is not true, I have removed all libraries and all type 23 item still remain in the database.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

But that is not true, I have removed all libraries and all type 23 item still remain in the database.

I'll test that out, but that's the intended behavior. Anyhow it doesn't really matter all that much other than keeping the database trim, as they won't show up anywhere if they're not assigned to any media.

GrimReaper
17 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

If you do a Search for any of those by name, do they come up? My empty/unassigned actors do. 

Happy2Play
6 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

If you do a Search for any of those by name, do they come up? My empty/unassigned actors do. 

Yes they are still searchable.  So once someone is in the database it would appear they are there forever.

• Agree 1

Joechung
On 11/7/2021 at 10:01 AM, Luke said:

I'll test that out, but that's the intended behavior. Anyhow it doesn't really matter all that much other than keeping the database trim, as they won't show up anywhere if they're not assigned to any media.

HI, Cook, have you found a solution?

Joechung
25 minutes ago, Luke said:

A solution to what exactly?

Sorry, I did not find a solution to this problem, I thought you would find a new solution that can help me.

1 hour ago, Joechung said:

Sorry, I did not find a solution to this problem, I thought you would find a new solution that can help me.

To what problem exactly?