Scrambled/corrupted picture with some channels and recordings.

e-charge

FrostByte
5 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

...and? Where to from here?

It worked fine previously.

That would be some good information if it can be traced to a certain change.  If it worked fine on the same device before what version did the problem start with?  

crusher11

I don't know. It's not my device, it's a family member's. It doesn't get used much.

It was purchased and set up in November of last year.

e-charge
19 hours ago, emdubya77 said:

Interesting. Are you saying that your recordings now direct play on the 4k stick, or just that you no longer see the corruption during remux/transcode?

It still appears to transcode (as per my screenshot) but as far as the dashboard is concerned, it's direct streaming.

e-charge

20211124_155413.jpg

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, e-charge said:

It still appears to transcode (as per my screenshot) but as far as the dashboard is concerned, it's direct streaming.

That screen shot says it is direct streaming

38 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

It worked fine previously.

This exact same media?  If so, previous to what?

e-charge
2 minutes ago, ebr said:

That screen shot says it is direct streaming

So what does the "Transcoding progress" and "Conversion Reason" mean then?

e-charge

The conversion reason is an unsupported container so it is being remuxed.   You can clearly see the play method is Direct Stream and the video is being played direct.

• Like 1

e-charge
1 minute ago, ebr said:

The conversion reason is an unsupported container so it is being remuxed.   You can clearly see the play method is Direct Stream and the video is being played direct.

Ah, fair enough. Thanks for the education.

e-charge

crusher11
6 minutes ago, ebr said:

This exact same media?  If so, previous to what?

Not that exact media, I don't think, but certainly DVDs. Previous to now. I don't know what's changed.

No worries.  There's a lot of technical stuff crammed into a small display area and since it is Stats for Nerds we do assume the audience basically understands most of that.

This issue only occurs on things that are touched by ffmpeg?  Anything that direct plays does not exhibit the problem?

crusher11
11 minutes ago, ebr said:

This issue only occurs on things that are touched by ffmpeg?  Anything that direct plays does not exhibit the problem?

I can Direct Play fine, yes.

e-charge
6 hours ago, Luke said:

I was referring to the original poster, @e-charge.

Technically no because I've moved to a different device, so the problem still exists with the Firestick TV Lite, but it's no longer my problem.

e-charge

On 11/24/2021 at 11:39 AM, ebr said:

On 11/24/2021 at 11:50 AM, crusher11 said:

I can Direct Play fine, yes.

@softworkz any ideas?  Seems to only happen when ffmpeg is involved. 

@e-charge @crusher11 -  Could it be that those streams/channels that are showing problems are having interlaced video and those that are playing fine are non-interlaced?

@ebr - didn't we recently make a change to allow HLS streaming of interlaced video on Android devices?

The only log (should have been a bit more..) that has been posted during this conversation is showing that situation at least: Interlaced (and only stream-copied) MP2 video transferrred via HLS.

crusher11
5 hours ago, softworkz said:

@e-charge @crusher11 -  Could it be that those streams/channels that are showing problems are having interlaced video and those that are playing fine are non-interlaced?

@ebr - didn't we recently make a change to allow HLS streaming of interlaced video on Android devices?

The only log (should have been a bit more..) that has been posted during this conversation is showing that situation at least: Interlaced (and only stream-copied) MP2 video transferrred via HLS.

I PM'd logs to @ebr. Issue occurs on non-interlaced video as well. It's not isolated to channels, either, it occurs on disc-sourced material.

I added SW so he could look at your logs.  It seems like it could be related to ffmpeg versions but that is a guess at this point.

e-charge
On 27/11/2021 at 22:31, softworkz said:

No idea but I've since gone from the Fire TV Stick Lite which exhibited the problem, to a Fire Stick TV 4k Max and now on to an Nvidia Shield TV Pro, neither of which exhibit the issue.

e-charge