Scrambled/corrupted picture with some channels and recordings.

e-charge

e-charge

Afternoon all

I just wondered if anyone has experienced this issue before and can advise re: a fix. I'm using a Fire TV Stick Lite with NextPVR as my backend server on a Windows 10 PC.

When playing live TV, some channels appear corrupted as per my attached photo as do the recordings of those channels. Other channels play perfectly and I can confirm that this only occurs on the Fire Stick as the channels in question display perfectly via the Emby app on my TV, on my phone, on a Roku and also via the Theatre app on the windows PC. They also play fine, directly from within the NextPVR client on the PC, so it's definitely specific to the Fire Stick. It's not the end of the world as I'll be switching to an Nvidia Shield TV Pro soon anyway but if anyone does have a solution in the meantime, that'd be cool. It's not a 4K device as it's just the Lite version so could it be that it's just not man enough for the job of playing some channels? But then again, it's not even HD channels that it's struggling with.

Thanks in advance.
e-charge

20211104_121404.jpg

e-charge

Thanks

Logs sent at 18:20ish UTC. Mediacentre is the user logged in on both the server and client. I was playing live TV but recording exhibits the same issue - all described in detail in my previous post.

e-charge

Hi.  There should have been an ffmpeg log associated with that playback. Can you please attach that?

e-charge

Afternoon

Within the app on the Fire TV Stick, the only option I have is to send logs. No additional options.

Thanks
e-charge

Hi the article linked above also tells you how to find logs on the server.  The ffmpeg log will be on the server.

Thanks.

e-charge
On 05/11/2021 at 17:32, ebr said:

Hi the article linked above also tells you how to find logs on the server.  The ffmpeg log will be on the server.

Thanks.

Sorry about that ebr.

Hopefully the attached files are what you're after. I've also grabbed a screenshot of the overlay too during playback.

Thanks again.
e-charge

20211109_130907.jpg

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-remux-15782d4c-543f-43a9-b043-388e46e99959_1.txt

e-charge
2 hours ago, ebr said:

If you turn on the option in the app to allow direct play of TS files, does the problem go away?

Hi ebr

It does not. I've tried all of the "Live TV" options from within the app to no avail.

e-charge

e-charge
52 minutes ago, emdubya77 said:

Have you tested other channels? The app doesn't seem to like BBC std def much - in my experience ITV, Ch4, Ch5 and the 5 main HD channels seem to be the most 'reliable'.

Yeah, this does only occur with a handful of channels and their associated recordings...and only on my Fire TV stick Lite.

e-charge

• Like 1

If you use the "Playback correction" menu item under the cog menu during playback, does the problem go away?  Try it multiple times...

e-charge

Hi ebr

I tried this and it allows me to do it once but then kicks me out to the guide. If I try it more than once with a recording, it gives me a "Too many errors, giving up" message and stops.

e-charge

3 hours ago, e-charge said:

it allows me to do it once

At that point was it still not playing properly?  Can we see the ffmpeg log from that?

e-charge
On 15/11/2021 at 14:34, ebr said:

At that point was it still not playing properly?  Can we see the ffmpeg log from that?

Hi ebr

I've actually just switched to a new, Fire TV Stick 4K Max and the problem no longer exists. Everything plays perfectly - all the channels and the recordings which previously exhibited this issue. Also, on another note, HEVC videos which previously transcoded down to x264 on the Fire TV Stick Lite, now play directly without any transcoding. So it would appear that despite the lists of video formats supported by the Lite stick stating that it supports it, it clearly doesn't. This does suggest that the Lite edition is a lot less capable than they're actually letting on.

Thanks for your help with this anyway but I'm not going to persevere in troubleshooting given that I've now moved on to a new device. Hopefully what I've given you so far helps at least a little.

e-charge

e-charge
On 15/11/2021 at 14:34, ebr said:

Apologies ebr - I forgot to answer your question.

No, playback was still flawed in the same way, thereafter.

e-charge

crusher11

I'm not sure what to take away from this, @ebr? Doesn't seem to have been resolved.

It affects all transcodes for me as far as I can tell, I don't use live TV. 

22 hours ago, crusher11 said:

I'm not sure what to take away from this, @ebr? Doesn't seem to have been resolved.

It affects all transcodes for me as far as I can tell, I don't use live TV. 

Your logs had both direct streams and transcodes.  All of them exhibit the exact same problem?

So we're seeing this exact issue with this device regardless of codec.  Examples so far have been mpeg, hevc and h264 (some transcoded to that).

crusher11
15 minutes ago, ebr said:

So we're seeing this exact issue with this device regardless of codec.  Examples so far have been mpeg, hevc and h264 (some transcoded to that).

...and? Where to from here?

It worked fine previously.