Android TV Mockups

hobointhecorner

hobointhecorner

Hello all!

As a bit of an exercise in UI design, I've been creating a UI mockup for Android TV in Photoshop, and I'd love the community's feedback.  Please be gentle, though, as I'm a systems administrator by trade who is really new to the whole application design thing, but I'm hoping to someday make a career out of it.  The album, with all images and descriptions can be found here.

Here's a couple for starters, sorry about the size/aliasing:

S9thINh.png

rOmEtKM.png

bEmQWBZ.png

peCG7FS.png

dpxUS5y.png

Thanks, guys!

--edited to embed images

Edited by hobointhecorner
  • Like 4

Interesting - yes, you should embed some of those so people can see them easier.

One of the great things about Android TV though is the fact that a lot of the design work is handled for you. It presents a very consistent interface across all the apps and makes it easier for the user to know how to operate them all.  I'm sure there will be some customization though, so have at it.

hobointhecorner

Got the images embedded.

I didn't know that about Android TV.  I tried to get the leanback preview emulator and one of the sample applications going a month or so back, but I couldn't get the emulator to load, or the the project files to cooperate with Android Studio, so I figure I'd let that one sit for a while.

Edited by hobointhecorner

Really like the design ideas you have there. Dont like the blue though, reminds me too much of the old WMC interface. Looks great with the silver menu and darker backgrounds. Im sure the design would be popular in other MB apps such as Classic and Theatre as a possible theme if you were interested in that kind of thing.

hobointhecorner

Yeah, I'm pretty terrible at picking colors, so I decided to use whatever I could find on the Android Material color palette. I really just wanted to use the colors to convey what media you're browsing (Red for movies, green for games, etc).  For example (and another terrible color choice, I realize lol):

541087962abfe_12MediaBrowserAndroidTVGam

The theme idea is a great one, I'm not sure why I never explored that avenue.  I appreciate it!  It's definitely something I'm going to be looking into in the near future.

• Like 1

The different colours per collection is an interesting idea. Would make it an option though, is not likely to be to everyones taste.

Would start with MBC as MBT obviously doesnt have themes yet. Would love to see this on Theatre at some point though as I use that :)

The thing that will be different about Android TV is that it won't be a "device" per se.  It is simply an extension of the entire Android platform so there will be multiple devices that will support it - including TVs themselves.  Hopefully, TV manufacturers will move away from their proprietary "smart" platforms and towards this.

hobointhecorner

I've been looking into theming MBC and writing MCML, and luckily I have enough experience with XAML to be rather helpful in this situation, but I still feel like I'm in over my head here.  Are there any examples or documentation I could make use of?  I can't find much, if anything, on the subject.

Pretty much no one other than a few people on this forum are writing any mcml anymore as the technology has been abandoned for a few years now.  Even the blogs I used several years ago are no longer around.

Honestly, if I were you, I would not invest the time in trying to learn it now.  If you wait another month or so, perhaps MBT will get to the point of being safe to try and build a theme for and that will fall right into your experience base as it is WPF (XAML).

• Like 1