Trying to migrate metadata from Windows server to Linux

dragonbytes

dragonbytes

Hi, I am trying to migrate my Emby Server setup from my Windows 11 install over to my linux one. I have emby premier and have used the Server Backup Conf plugin. The problem is linux paths are very different than Windows one's, and while I successfully migrated my users, stats, and library settings, the metadata seems tied to the original path of the media in your library. I also understand people strongly recommend storing metadata files and artwork within the media itself. I'm old fashioned and don't like those folders cluttered up, however i'm not against doing that going forward if it will make things easier. But is there any way to copy or move the current internal metadata to .nfo files etc? I spent alot of time correcting everything and don't want to lose that. Any advice is appreciated. 

Happy2Play

Since you do not save with media you need to migrate everything (ie the entire data path folder) as all emby localized metadata is tied to database entries so if you do not have the database for media import everything in the \library folder us useless.  Also all metadata resides in database only, images reside in \library. 

Do to path changes across different platforms  you have to manually change your item paths and possibly image paths in the database and library options.xml's.  And any other item that has\could have wrong path.

example of database commands (only MediaItems it relevant, looks like MediaStreams2 also if you have external subtitles.  But "TypedBaseItems" is obsolete if you have it really old database table)

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/78123-how-to-move-your-library-to-another-location/&do=findComment&comment=793359

Edited by Happy2Play