Plugin Request- MBPosters

Xzener
Go to solution Solved by lja,

Xzener

Hey guys,

I know this has been brought up many times... But think it could be a very cool addition to our plugin catalog.

Here is my idea... Have a separate PC running a client (of some sort, maybe MBPosters could be its own client) and have it only display posters. The display could be hung portrait style in a media room, hallway, etc. While no media is being played (on a specific client), the posters would display. When a movie starts, the server sends a command to the MBPoster plugin/client to stop displaying posters. Ideally, the display would possibly go into standby, conserving electricity. The configuration could have a number of options like, which folders to randomly display posters from, or the option to stop displaying on playback. Also, for those who have custom covers like myself, maybe the plugin could create a list of your movies, and basically bounce a title off of MoviePosterDatabase and display the titles movie poster.

Not sure how difficult it would be, but maybe the plugin could use a secondary display, that way one wouldn't need a separate PC to run.

Not trying to steal anyones thunder, just noticed we didn't have a feature request for this in the new forum. I also wanted to run it by you guys first... Feel free to move it, couldn't find a "Plugin Idea" area in the forum. I think maybe we should create one.

Thoughts?

• Like 3

BATTLE DONKEY

Love the idea but would like to have more user customisation so everyone could set it up as they like. For me personally I like the idea of it using either random posters or even my photo library like a digital picture frame when nothing is playing. Once a movie starts it could display the movie poster kind of like a now playing poster. Same goes for music, while listening it could cycle thru artist info n backdrops if possible. Then once media stops it would go back to photos n act like a normal digital photo frame. That's just my thoughts tho. I would like to see what other people do with a second screen like that

Xzener

Just sparking up another conversation to see others ideas and opinions. I would also like to see more customization for it.

I am building a new house... My new theater room has a hallway outside of it, I'd like to hang a TV to show newly added movies. I think that would be really cool.

BATTLE DONKEY

Now you've got me looking at the walls of the stairwell to my basement wondering how easy/hard it would be to run an electrical outlet to it n to mount a monitor flush on the wall. I'll wait n hopefully see some progress on this some day in the future before I jump the gun n start cutting holes in the walls lol

P.S. love your icons, have been using them for ages n have no intentions of changing them. Keep up the good work

Xzener

I spoke to that developer recently and he confirmed he's still committed to build that for mbt.

This is great news Luke... Can't wait to see this come to fruition. Especially as an app for MBT.

someone should send him a message on avs and let him know that mbt is far enough along that he can start working on it. 

Xzener

someone should send him a message on avs and let him know that mbt is far enough along that he can start working on it. 

Done.

• Like 1

meyer64

Hey guys.

Yes, I do have full intentions on implementing support for MediaBrowser in the MoviePoster app.  I've been using XBMC as my media center software exclusively for years, but MB3 is looking very nice and I might just need to make the switch. :)  I'm finally starting to get some free time to work on adding more features to MoviePoster and hopefully I'll have some progress on the MB3 integration in just a few weeks. 

Stay tuned. 

• Like 10

Meyer - awesome! You should have access to the dev area so that you can try out MBT. When you're ready to get started, let me know and i"ll get you whatever you need.

• Like 2

fantaxp7

Glad to see this is happening.

Meyer, I had read just a bit about your app. Is it still required to have a full windows machine to use it? I was thinking a raspberry pi would be perfect.

Thanks

• Like 1

julianb
This is great, mediabrowser is getting better and better every day! Best community ever :)

Can't wait to have a screen setup that shows now playing and other movie posters ! 

Thank you Meyer64, looking forward to your plugin.

Edited by julianb
  • Like 1

DarkKniyt (John)

Meyer - Another Thumbs-Up from me!

Looking forward to adding this to my theater!!

Thanks for taking this on.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
Xzener

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but rumer has it Meyer64 is close to having MB3 integration complete with his poster software. @@meyer64 ,I was asking @@Luke to add support to download posters even if a folder image is present. I create my own custom primary images, and they would look out of place on your software. We need to iron out this issue... I imagine your software is designed to use high res movie poster images, so we need to figure out how we will differentiate primary images and images used for your software. It looks as though we may need to download them to a specific folder instead of the movie folders. MB3 is designed to use either a poster, or a folder image as the primary. We need to be careful how we move forward.

Anyone interested, please post some feedback on the matter... I would like to see which images you guys are using, wether it be custom or default cover images.

Here is my primary image I use (in conjunction with CoverArt)...

folder_zps1e08683a.png

Obviously, this image will not work as a poster. I was asking Luke if we could download a poster too... But MB3 is designed to use either as primary, it may complicate things.

This is what I would rather see utlized with your softawre Meyer64...

poster_zps9042017b.jpg

Edited by Xzener

BATTLE DONKEY

I was just thinking about this a day or so ago and wondering if there had been any progress on this. I dug thru my previous posts to see if there had been anything else but alas the thread died, and less than 48 he's later its back from the dead lol

• Like 1

Xzener

After reading through Meyer64's thread over at AVSForum, it seems as though his software is DL and storing the poster images.

I have been using meyer's virtual movie poster for sometime and it works very well. It does work without the integration with MB3. The integration will allow (as I understand it) the poster of a movie playing in MB3 to be visible on the display. I would recommend that if you like the idea and have not tried it to do so. Try it out until the integration version is released. By the way the program does download posters to their own folder.. 

Edited by lja
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...
julianb
So, is this plug-in still in development? Would love to see this feature in "Emby". :)

I'm not an expert, but all we need is a tiny plug-in that reads the metadata from the server (with an option to redownload poster if that is prefered instead of locally stored images)

A tiny software that runs on a client hooked up to a screen. Shows "newly added posters" when nothing plays, and "Now showing: Name of movie + poster when a movie play.

I really hope someone makes this happen. Does anybody know if Meyer64 is still working on this?

chef

So, is this plug-in still in development? Would love to see this feature in "Emby". :)

I'm not an expert, but all we need is a tiny plug-in that reads the metadata from the server (with an option to redownload poster if that is prefered instead of locally stored images)

A tiny software that runs on a client hooked up to a screen. Shows "newly added posters" when nothing plays, and "Now showing: Name of movie + poster when a movie play.

I really hope someone makes this happen. Does anybody know if Meyer64 is still working on this?

Hehe... I could do it... ;)

• Like 1