Progress play downloaded content.

santxo

Hello, I have observed that all the content that I am seeing, that has been downloaded to the mobile, the progress of the viewing point or indicating that it has been viewed, only saves it in the local version (downloaded) and that information is not communicates it to the server.

Therefore, if I am viewing a movie (downloaded to a device) and I leave it halfway, and then I want to continue watching that movie on the server, it does not save me at the point where I left it halfway.
 As if I have downloaded a series and have seen 3 chapters, for example, these in my library then appear without viewing.

I think that once the device connects to the server, it should synchronize that information between the mobile device, tablet, etc. and the server.

• Like 1

nmkaufman

I was coming here to to ask about the same thing!

I think the Android app has always worked this way, but I'm only noticing now that audiobooks are working correctly.

Playing content from the 'downloads' area does not mark the content watched (or save progress) so you can continue watching on another device.

If you play the downloaded item from your library (avoiding the 'downloads' section,) the Android app is smart enough to play the downloaded version without using data.

Using this method, episode or movie progress is synced with the server.

The problem is, there's no convenient way to view your downloaded content, outside the 'downloads' folder.

It also means there's no way to save episode progress when traveling, without mobile data connection to the main server.

Windows Server 4.7.0.15, Android 3.2.23.

Edited by nmkaufman

nmkaufman
1 minute ago, nmkaufman said:

Dang it, I quoted myself rather than editing my previous post. 

Can someone please delete this?

Edited by nmkaufman

I just installed the version from the url above, and it is 3.2.26 version

It still works for me the same as before, I have not noticed any improvement.

By the way I didn't comment on it, but for what it's worth, the server version is 4.6.4.0 on Linux.

Thanks for the interest.

nmkaufman
3 minutes ago, santxo said:

I'm not sure if it's syncing progress within an episode, but for me it was syncing complete episodes with my main library.

I reverted to the store version, for now, but I can do more testing once it officially rolls out.

6 hours ago, santxo said:

I just installed the version from the url above, and it is 3.2.26 version

By the way I didn't comment on it, but for what it's worth, the server version is 4.6.4.0 on Linux.

Thanks for the interest.

For downloaded content it does not happen as you play, but rather during the next periodic background sync with the server.

So if I understood the operation correctly, the synchronization from the Emby Android app of the downloaded content is a scheduled task.  In other words, it may take a few minutes for the server and app from the stateplay to be synchronized.

Yesterday it still did not indicate that chapter 1 of a series had been seen on the mobile device.  And the position where I left the reproduction of chapter 2. But I force by hand that if I had seen chapter 1, on the server and after a few minutes if the server indicated the position of the chapter, which I had started to see on the mobile.

nmkaufman
1 hour ago, santxo said:

Yesterday it still did not indicate that chapter 1 of a series had been seen on the mobile device.

So I think the issue is that when an audiobook is played from the 'downloads' area, it's not being treated as an audiobook at all. Just music.

I played two chapters of an audiobook, and watched an episode of a TV show.

The TV progress got synced back to the server, right away, but the audiobook progress never did.

Edited by nmkaufman

nmkaufman

Actually, scratch that.

Music/audiobooks don't get scrobbled back to the server even when played from their respective libraries, if the files are downloaded.

The progress-sync function just isn't working for audio files at all.

Edited by nmkaufman

On 11/1/2021 at 3:31 PM, nmkaufman said:

Actually, scratch that.

Music/audiobooks don't get scrobbled back to the server even when played from their respective libraries, if the files are downloaded.

The progress-sync function just isn't working for audio files at all.

Hi, yes I can reproduce for audiobook libraries. We're looking into it. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
nmkaufman

I just realized my offline music and audiobooks are reporting play-counts & book progress to the server. Awesome!

I wish there was a more accessible changelog for the various apps.

I typically don't even notice the mobile or Windows apps being updated, and only notice new features/menu items by accident.

negativzeroe
On 12/4/2021 at 10:00 PM, nmkaufman said:

I just realized my offline music and audiobooks are reporting play-counts & book progress to the server. Awesome!

I wish there was a more accessible changelog for the various apps.

I typically don't even notice the mobile or Windows apps being updated, and only notice new features/menu items by accident.

Does it restart from beginning if you play from downloads?

nmkaufman
16 hours ago, negativzeroe said:

Does it restart from beginning if you play from downloads?

It does, but the app is smart enough to play the downloaded version if you play from the 'continue listening' section of the home screen.

It's also smart enough to treat episodes played from the 'downloads' area as audiobooks, so they will appear in the 'continue listening' area, when you're done.

• Thanks 1

negativzeroe
On 12/9/2021 at 7:40 AM, nmkaufman said:

It does, but the app is smart enough to play the downloaded version if you play from the 'continue listening' section of the home screen.

It's also smart enough to treat episodes played from the 'downloads' area as audiobooks, so they will appear in the 'continue listening' area, when you're done.

Aha I see, this can work. Only problem is like an airport or other situation where you have to be completely offline.

On 12/9/2021 at 10:13 PM, Luke said:

We'll look at improving this. Thanks.

On 10/31/2021 at 7:13 PM, Luke said:

For downloaded content it does not happen as you play, but rather during the next periodic background sync with the server.

@Luke I looked at the scheduled tasks but don't see anything that specifically mentions audiobooks, how often does this happen or which task is it attached to?

I can work with the continue listening bit, if only I could get to my main screen offline - like if the app would open to a cached copy of the home screen view but only show content that is downloaded? Or maybe just a json file that gets synced to the local folder idk.

After that all I need is bookmarks and consistent playback speed and I might be able to finally let Listen go!

Edited by negativzeroe

It's not something that you need to worry about managing. You can be offline and the app will report it to the server later.

negativzeroe
On 12/17/2021 at 9:08 AM, Luke said:

It's not something that you need to worry about managing. You can be offline and the app will report it to the server later.

Not if I have a book and am halfway through it and it starts over when I try to play from downloads.

Even worse is when there is like 30 files and I don't know which one I'm on.

Edited by negativzeroe

• 1 month later...