Download - Original & Unsupported Audio

neik

Hi guys,

I think one of my family members just found an issue on his iPhone.

He went on holidays and downloaded a couple of episodes on his iPhone but unfortunately the audio didn't work as the files have DTS-HD audio and iPhone does not support DTS and is also still missing the downmix function (would at least play as audio) Android has.

Question:
I know he selected "Original" but wouldn't it make sense to have some sort of validation if the downloading device supports the audio?
In case it doesn't a remux of the audio should be applied.
IMHO: Athough "Original" was selected there is no way the users want to end up with a file that doesn't play audio at all and this should be considered by the devs.

Solution to all this was to convert before download which is quite heavy on my low-budget machine and more important it is unnecessary as a simple remuxing would already ensure playback.

I know he selected "Original" but wouldn't it make sense to have some sort of validation if the downloading device supports the audio?

Probably, yes, but it does warn them right underneath the field. Even such a warning would be tricky anyway if they happened to perform the download on a top level folder rather than a single file.

In case it doesn't a remux of the audio should be applied.

Yes, we do have this, just don't force a download of the original file. It's not the default option anyway.

On 10/31/2021 at 2:07 AM, Luke said:

Probably, yes, but it does warn them right underneath the field. Even such a warning would be tricky anyway if they happened to perform the download on a top level folder rather than a single file.

I know there is a warning but users simply tend to ignore / not read it.
Therefore, my suggestion to remux the audio to a supported format even though "original" is selected.
Original would then mean no video conversion at all and audio might be converted to a playable format.

I don't see any usecase to keep this as it is right now. No user expects to download a file and end up with a audio format that is not playable - so ending up with a mute file.

On 10/31/2021 at 2:07 AM, Luke said:

Yes, we do have this, just don't force a download of the original file. It's not the default option anyway.

So, currently the user would need to select an higher bitrate than the file has, correct?

Edit: I don't know if this applies generally to all Android devices but on my phone I don't have this issue as it apparently downmixes not supported audio. If the same could be applied to the iOS devices this whole request would become obsolete and would probably be the better way to go, especially considering when graphical subs come into play...

Edited by neik

Therefore, my suggestion to remux the audio to a supported format even though "original" is selected.
Original would then mean no video conversion at all and audio might be converted to a playable format.

That's what "original quality" can do, but "original file" will download the original file. Sorry but hands are tied here as the whole reason we add these original file options was in response to community feedback.

The android app can generally direct play everything, that's why you don't run into the problem there.