Audio screensaver presentation

EZEd

Text of this post also placed here

@ebr I'm running 2.0.48g of Android TV client and just noticed that when the audio screensaver comes on, the current playing track coverart is displaying in the middle of the screen and remains there for all songs.  The previous version was not like that.  All coverart would go away and you were just left with the artist fanart/backdrops playing as a slideshow.  Can you please place a toggle in the music playing settings so that we can turn album/cover art on or off?  Either that or resize/move the album/cover art away from the middle of the screen while the track is playing? Prior to now it was darn near perfect but this cover art covering up the middle of the screen is killing the experience again.  Please provide a toggle for those of us that do not prefer the cover art and only want to see the backdrop slideshow.  If the toggle already exists, please inform or where it is to make the change.  I can't seem to find it.

I'd also like to take this moment to once again put in a request plug to institute music visualizations into Emby music play.  Switching programs to bring up ProjectM as a separate app while playing music in Emby is inefficient, and inconvenient at the least and down right annoying at the very most.  Please get native use of visualizations into at least the Android TV client as soon as possible.

Thanks bunches

• Like 1

FrostByte

I like having the album cover, but I wouldn't be against making it smaller and moving it to somewhere not in the middle so that you can see the backdrop better

Yea the issue is that the previous design was dependent on artist backdrops, which not everyone will have. Without an artist backdrop, you'd essentially get a blank screen. So that's the reason for bringing in the album art. But options are always possible.

• Like 1

@Luke I uunderstand not everyone will have backdrops but I for one would prefer black behind transport controls if no backdrop is present than to have the backdrops that I do have covered by album cover. Again album cover is fine but can it be made smaller and relocated either lower left or right of the screen rather than center? Or better still, a toggle that the user can use to decide where they want it, it's size or whether they want it at all? Just asking.

(edited to add...) I personally don't use the meta scrapers but I would bet most people do so wouldn't most of the folks also have backdrop images for artists since the scrapers pretty much automatically download them? Again, I don't use the scrapers but I do put a lot of time (and work) into collecting my own backdrops and it makes it all the more aggravating that I've put in that work and can't really see the labor of my love.  My only point is that more options for all users is better than few.  Please do consider.  Additionally please do consider native implementation of visualizations within the Emby app.  In my opinion it would really make the music listening experience head and shoulders above the competition and at the minimum put us back at the level we were/had with Windows Media Center and Media Player.  Thanks again

Edited by EZEd
  • Like 1

On 10/31/2021 at 1:58 PM, EZEd said:

@Luke I uunderstand not everyone will have backdrops but I for one would prefer black behind transport controls if no backdrop is present than to have the backdrops that I do have covered by album cover. Again album cover is fine but can it be made smaller and relocated either lower left or right of the screen rather than center? Or better still, a toggle that the user can use to decide where they want it, it's size or whether they want it at all? Just asking.

(edited to add...) I personally don't use the meta scrapers but I would bet most people do so wouldn't most of the folks also have backdrop images for artists since the scrapers pretty much automatically download them? Again, I don't use the scrapers but I do put a lot of time (and work) into collecting my own backdrops and it makes it all the more aggravating that I've put in that work and can't really see the labor of my love.  My only point is that more options for all users is better than few.  Please do consider.  Additionally please do consider native implementation of visualizations within the Emby app.  In my opinion it would really make the music listening experience head and shoulders above the competition and at the minimum put us back at the level we were/had with Windows Media Center and Media Player.  Thanks again

I understand. Of course the opposite viewpoint is, hey I've got an album image, so why am I looking at a blank screen. But as mentioned, options to control this are certainly possible. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

@ebr another question about this one.  I reverted back to Android TV 2.0.33 to get the screen presentation back that shows the background image slideshow instead of the album art.  The presentation is correct but the background images are no longer rotating.  The images never did rotate with Tizen and Roku but they did rotate with Android TV.  Did the rotation not happen until version 2.0.48 or was it there in 2.0.33 previously?  If previously there what could be the issue that they are not rotating now?  I checked and the folders do have multiple image files named backdrop #(1-n)jpg and this previously used to work.  Any ideas on why it may not be working now?  Does the combination of server version and client version have anything to do with this functionality working?  Just wondering.  Thx

arrbee99

Also hate have an album plonked over a nice background. CSS gets rid of it in a browser, but...

Anyway, here's hoping...

• 5 months later...
EZEd

@ebr, I just wanted to revisit this topic one more time... I noticed announcement of release to version 2.0.70.  I read through the release notes and a good deal of the notes for 2.0.33 and 2.0.48 as well and I think something that could help us all out with version release notes (not just Android TV/Fire TV client but all clients) is to not only include what is added to the client on new release but also what is taken out.  Example is what started this thread... I was on 2.0.33 and upgraded to 2.0.48.  Upon installation of the new, I noticed a non-desirable behavior and it caused me to have to regress back to a previous version (where I still am today). Other than installing 2.0.70 and either finding that it does or does not fix the undesirable behavior and having to uninstall and revert to the previous version like I did, is there a way we can include all changes to versions (gives and takes) in the version release notes?

In going from 2.0.33 to 2.0.48 no mention was made in the release notes that the audio screensaver behavior had been changed.  This implied that 2.0.48 would do everything that 2.0.33 did only better by adding new features.  After finding out the hard way that that is not necessarily accepted to be always true, how will we know in the future that the previous and desired behavior has returned or been improved?  Again, I think including an explanation of what is removed as well as added in the version descriptions would be helpful in giving us better and all information needed to make decisions about upgrades. 

I am tempted to install 2.0.70 just to see if audio screensaver has been revamped or reverted back to at least 2.0.33 implementation but since no mention is made either way, I'm doubtful that it has changed from 2.0.48. I'd like to avoid making unnecessary changes unless I can be reasonably assured that the upgrades are actually meaningful improvements or add something that I'm really looking forward to.

Please consider

Thx

Hi.  Stable release notes usually just hit the "high points" and major changes as opposed to every tiny detail that may change.  If you follow the beta release notes, they are usually much more detailed.

Amanade3

On 03/11/2021 at 02:46, Luke said:

I understand. Of course the opposite viewpoint is, hey I've got an album image, so why am I looking at a blank screen. But as mentioned, options to control this are certainly possible. Thanks.

Please make an option in the next update to choose between the backdrop or the album art because most people love the backdrop including myself. or if its not an option you can make it look something like this. "showing both album art and backdrop.

screengrab2.png

• Like 2

EZEd
On 5/7/2022 at 2:58 AM, Amanade3 said:

Please make an option in the next update to choose between the backdrop or the album art because most people love the backdrop including myself. or if its not an option you can make it look something like this. "showing both album art and backdrop.

screengrab2.png

+1000

Exactly what I was trying convey.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
EZEd

@ebr - Luke recently posted this new info about the 4760 server...

Further down in the post he shows the following feature as being available for audio listening layout.  I assume from the picture this is only available in the webview client and/or the Emby Theater client.  Will Android TV client get these optional layout capabilities for music listening in adjunct to the current audio screensaver?

image.png.87e05862d3579d40358f3d06bc91302c.png

6 minutes ago, EZEd said:

@ebr - Luke recently posted this new info about the 4760 server...

Further down in the post he shows the following feature as being available for audio listening layout.  I assume from the picture this is only available in the webview client and/or the Emby Theater client.  Will Android TV client get these optional layout capabilities for music listening in adjunct to the current audio screensaver?

image.png.87e05862d3579d40358f3d06bc91302c.png

Hi, the bottom bar is not something you'll see in TV layouts as you can see that its' not really TV friendly. There will be other ways to get to the now playing screen in TV layouts.

• 10 months later...
On 5/7/2022 at 2:58 AM, Amanade3 said:

screengrab2.png

Does anyone know if this requested feature ever got implemented into the latest versions of Android/Fire TV clients?  I'm still on version 2.0.33g.  Waiting on this to implement/return.  Please inform.

Thx

Edited by EZEd

• 6 months later...
On 4/16/2023 at 12:42 PM, Luke said:

More options to control this are certainly possible for future updates. Thanks.

@ebr & Luke... the future is here... has this capability (below) been added to the latest version of Android/Fire TV client?  I am still on version 2.0.33 waiting on this capability.  Also, any word yet on natively supporting visualizations with music playback inside of Exoplayer (e.g. Milkdrop, Project M etc...)?

image.png.3a676bcee154065015138b682cda51ca.png

arrbee99

No album covers would be good, otherwise only if there isn't a backdrop. Can't the absence of a backdrop be detected (there just isn't one to load) ?

On 11/4/2023 at 9:28 AM, ebr said:

There haven't been any design changes for this in the TV app for a while.

So the future is NOT here then?  It must be like the old "free beer tomorrow" scam...I mean advertisement.  We'll always need to come back tomorrow for the free beer....

How about news on the native incorporation of visualizations in music playback? Any progress on that end?  Is that more free beer for tomorrow as well?  Let us know what you can.

Thx

9 hours ago, EZEd said:

It must be like the old "free beer tomorrow" scam

HI.  No scam.  I don't believe we ever told you something else was coming.  We stated that changes or options in the future are possible.  This is not something we are actively working on at this point as all our resources are on other efforts now.  The TV app was aligned to be like the others a while ago.