IOS Unable to download

tongchijun

hotrod_hemi

Hello - chiming in on this issue as well. I have been trying multiple scenarios/configurations to get this working with the iOS mobile app.

Scenario details:

Host OS:

• Host Server OS: Synology DSM 6.2.4
  • Host Server OS: Synology DSM 7.1 (in a Virtual Machine)
  • Host Server OS (Virtual Machines): macOS Monterey, Mojave, High Sierra, Windows 10
  • Host Server OS (Native): macOS High Sierra

Client OS:

• iOS 14.8.1

Emby server version:

• 4.6.7 (in all configurations)

In all scenarios (sans the Synology DSM 6.2.4), Emby was a fresh install, with media folder accessing either local data, or network shares, to eliminate potential share permission issues.

I also set up isolated, separate WiFi networks with different routers/AP's.

Each time I initiate the download, via the iOS client, the results are the same: "Ready to Transfer"

However, when I use a web browser to download the files, that works flawlessly in every scenario above. 

Stymied at this point - a big fan of the feature (it did work a few years ago, but no details about the configs from then)

Server log file is attached.

Full dev environment to test ideas/changes; will report back with results.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

embyserver.txt

Happy2Play

This is only a issue when you choose "Original" quality correct?

hotrod_hemi

Just to verify a previous test - I set a home video to a reduced quality (4 Mbps) - transcode occurred, yet remains in the Ready to Transfer state. (iOS device has Emby App active or refresh in background enabled)

Otherwise, yes, the intention was to transfer all media (pictures, movies, music) in the original format.

I should also note: all transfers are done on a local WiFi network, not across a remote Internet connection.

mrdrew
On 3/23/2022 at 11:12 AM, mrdrew said:

I found all sorts of previously transcoded files in my default sync directory. Now I'm on Docker > unRaid NAS, so my paths might be weird, but they were all here:

/mnt/user/appdata/emby/sync/<rando two digit numbers>

I deleted all of that stuff, started a new sync and transcode, and it appears to be working. The app download % status isn't working, but I can see the MBs transferring in Cell Data (iOS cell data settings)

Confirmed that this now works for downloads transcodes, I'm back up and running. I did reinstall the phone apps, that may have done something too - but getting rid of this glut of stuff seems to have made the difference.

hotrod_hemi

Hello @mrdrew

Previously I had read your post while troubleshooting - to no (initial) avail. After testing again, here is what I have discovered - at least with Synology DSM.

For any others who are using Synology DSM to host Emby server, this is the path where the sync folders are located:

• DSM 6.2.4 - /volume"x"/Emby/sync$
  • DSM 7.1 - /volume"x"/@appdata/EmbyServer/sync$

I ensured the sync directories were empty, AND, removed(uninstalled) the Emby iOS client, then reinstalled the client, connecting fresh with no outstanding sync requests, nor any residual download data.

I am still unable to sync from DSM 6.2.4 - nothing appears in the sync folder once a sync request has been made by the iOS client, yet Emby shows: Ready to Transfer

However... I am now able to sync from DSM 7.1. - I can watch the immediate transfer progress from the Emby downloads window. All 4 (Music, Movies, Pictures, Home Videos) libraries I use transferred successfully. Sync was tested with both "Original" and "Transcoded" files.

In both DSM installations, I also set up the Inotify fix for RTM task (from a previous thread on this issue).

To note: Download progress % shows in 3 of the 4 media types (Only movies do not show progress %)

Thus... at this point - repeatable, actionable success with Synology DSM 7.1, not yet with Synology DSM 6.2.4 (no other Server Host OS testing at this time).

• Thanks 1

guandms

I'm having the same issue and this is frustrating to say the least.

I just want to download episodes of my favorite shows and press download without checking if it started or not, or if it is ready to transfer but nothing actually happens.

Also, when I want to multi select, download is not an option at all.

• 1 month later...
adkeyz
On 23/03/2022 at 18:12, mrdrew said:

I found all sorts of previously transcoded files in my default sync directory. Now I'm on Docker > unRaid NAS, so my paths might be weird, but they were all here:

/mnt/user/appdata/emby/sync/<rando two digit numbers>

I deleted all of that stuff, started a new sync and transcode, and it appears to be working. The app download % status isn't working, but I can see the MBs transferring in Cell Data (iOS cell data settings)

Deleting these folders on a Windows server seems to have fixed the issue for me, I have been able to download a show onto my iPad and my iPhone successfully after doing so.

The Transfer % never changed so I couldn't see the progress but the show did eventually download on both devices (I checked network activity on my router to see that the file transfer was actually taking place).

I did this today outside of my network so I'll need to try this again when I get home to make sure it works within my network too.

adkeyz
17 hours ago, adkeyz said:

Deleting these folders on a Windows server seems to have fixed the issue for me, I have been able to download a show onto my iPad and my iPhone successfully after doing so.

The Transfer % never changed so I couldn't see the progress but the show did eventually download on both devices (I checked network activity on my router to see that the file transfer was actually taking place).

I did this today outside of my network so I'll need to try this again when I get home to make sure it works within my network too.

So after testing at home I have made some discoveries.

I can download content fine on both my iPhone and iPad BUT I have to use the "Download to" option, not the simple "Download" button.

If I click on "Download", the server will initiate a transfer but for a different device and will sit on "Ready to transfer" and never start.

If I choose "Download to" and choose the correct device in the dropdown, the download will start and will complete just fine.

So, the issue on iOS right now is not not an issue with the transfer mechanism itself, rather that the "Download" button is the iOS app is broken and does not initiate a transfer request for the correct device.

With all that said, I did try the "Download to" option before deleting the above folders and it still didn't work, so I believe removing those folders is also a requirement to getting the transfer option working again.

Leryra

I just got the same issue, it was definitely transferring data in the background (25gb transferred!) but not a single episode available on my iPad. 

Could it be that it's trying to download all episodes at once, instead of processing one at a time, and is failing on some chunks? 

• 1 month later...

Hi, please try the new Emby for iOS 2.1.8 update and let us know if this helps with this issue.

You want want to cancel existing download jobs on the server and recreate them. Let us know how you get on. Thanks.

guandms

@Luke Thank you for the update.

Sadly the same issue persists.

I opened Emby on my iOS version 2.1.8, went to my TV Shows and downloaded one episode (Original Quality).

I gave it 10 minutes, nothing happened, then I opened up my Emby server on my NAS from Windows and saw that the video file is ready to transfer but not progressing at all.

Then I closed up my Emby app on my iPhone and opened it up again and then on my PC the status changed to Transferring.

In addition the transfer never completes and it goes back to "Ready to transfer" after a few minutes.

The only solution is to choose the download from my Windows PC while my iOS mobile app is opened, which is really bad behavior and unusable option.

• Agree 1

Happy2Play
13 minutes ago, guandms said:

@Luke Thank you for the update.

Sadly the same issue persists.

I opened Emby on my iOS version 2.1.8, went to my TV Shows and downloaded one episode (Original Quality).

I gave it 10 minutes, nothing happened, then I opened up my Emby server on my NAS from Windows and saw that the video file is ready to transfer but not progressing at all.

Then I closed up my Emby app on my iPhone and opened it up again and then on my PC the status changed to Transferring.

In addition the transfer never completes and it goes back to "Ready to transfer" after a few minutes.

The only solution is to choose the download from my Windows PC while my iOS mobile app is opened, which is really bad behavior and unusable option.

If you logged in to your server via the WAN, then closed the app and logged in via your LAN do downloads work?  Please test with new downloads.

In my testing I could not get downloads to work at all on a LAN only Server.  But connecting to a server with LAN/WAN access am able to download with/without "download only on wifi".

If you go to select server and long hold your server and select server info does it show LAN and WAN info?

guandms
20 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

If you logged in to your server via the WAN, then closed the app and logged in via your LAN do downloads work?  Please test with new downloads.

In my testing I could not get downloads to work at all on a LAN only Server.  But connecting to a server with LAN/WAN access am able to download with/without "download only on wifi".

If you go to select server and long hold your server and select server info does it show LAN and WAN info?

I'm able to download only with the following:

Open my Emby server via web browser (installed on Synology 920+ version DSM 7.1-42661 Update 3) and pressing the video 3 dots and download to > Gabi's iPhone with Original.
But my Emby iOS app must be opened for it to start the download process, if it's not then nothing will happen, it will remain in transferring status for ever.

And another way of life feature that needs to be added is to mark multiple videos for quick download and quick remove once I'm finished watching them.

mrdrew

@Happy2Play on iOS > user icon top right > Manage Emby Server 

here’s what I got

I un-checked “download only on WiFi” because I want it to only use my cell data, not work wifi. 

1C606888-4D71-463A-AF48-612D57A8EDBA.jpeg

There are more download fixes in Emby for iOS 2.2.0, which is currently rolling out. Thanks guys.

• 1 month later...

Download is The Reason I pay for Emby premier. Sometimes it works when Plex doesn’t. I have been running it in an unRaid Docker. I could start a virtual machine and run it in Windows instead? Maybe that would make my sync/download problems go away. Any thoughts there? It would put my setup into more of a mainstream user base that way. 

Edited by mrdrew

samuelqwe
On 9/12/2022 at 12:54 PM, mrdrew said:

Download is The Reason I pay for Emby premier. Sometimes it works when Plex doesn’t. I have been running it in an unRaid Docker. I could start a virtual machine and run it in Windows instead? Maybe that would make my sync/download problems go away. Any thoughts there? It would put my setup into more of a mainstream user base that way. 

Downloads on Emby for iOS have always been extremely finicky in my experience, and it seems a lot of people also have issues getting downloads to work reliably in that app.

Usually, I'll just download the videos directly from Safari and that works much better, though you have to play the files in another video player rather than in Emby. Infuse also works very well for downloads, so I don't see why they can't get the downloads in the Emby app to work just as well.