HDR content streaming as SDR (only in some cases)

EricCarlson
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

EricCarlson

I have a fairly extensive collection of 4K HDR and Blu-ray content that I'm trying to stream to my Roku TV.  I haven't tested *all* files yet, but there are two that I tried tonight that clearly show as HDR (or HDR10) in the description, but when I stream them I don't get the HDR logo in the corner and the picture settings menu shows "Normal" (not "Normal HDR"). Is this a transcoding issue? Why would it only happen on certain titles/files? Does this sound familiar at all and/or any suggestions on how to remedy?

For example, Halloween (1978) shows this: (attached) but streams as standard 4k.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Halloween.JPG

EricCarlson

I believe it's just the Emby "channel" on my Roku TV.

FYI, failed to mention this earlier, but the same file(s) play in HDR when viewing through the Plex app. Trying to "audition" both servers to decide which one I want to keep paying the monthly charge for enhanced service. There are things I like about both, have some concerns about both.  If I can figure out the HDR vs. SDR situation with Emby, it might be the winner. :)

rbjtech
5 hours ago, EricCarlson said:

I have a fairly extensive collection of 4K HDR and Blu-ray content that I'm trying to stream to my Roku TV.  I haven't tested *all* files yet, but there are two that I tried tonight that clearly show as HDR (or HDR10) in the description, but when I stream them I don't get the HDR logo in the corner and the picture settings menu shows "Normal" (not "Normal HDR"). Is this a transcoding issue? Why would it only happen on certain titles/files? Does this sound familiar at all and/or any suggestions on how to remedy?

For example, Halloween (1978) shows this: (attached) but streams as standard 4k.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Halloween.JPG

From the screen grab, the issue is likely to be you are trying to play HD Audio (TrueHD) and the Roku does not support this.  ANY form of transcoding (Audio or Video) will remove HDR - so you simply need to set the Audio to a track the Roku can natively play (DirectPlay).  Dolby Digital (AC3) or AAC (if available) are your best bets. 

Emby is simply playing the Default Audio track - which on 4K content is almost always set to the HD-Audio in the source file.  This can be changed easily enough in tools such as mkvtoolnix by just changing the header - there is no need to remux the entire file.   This is what I have recently done for all my 4K Remux files (defaulted to AC3) as only my Shield and AVR are capable of playing HD Audio anyway, on all my other 4K TV's - they now DirectPlay (with HDR/DV) without any user intervention.

I hope this helps.

Edited by rbjtech

EricCarlson

rbjtech, what you are saying does make sense, but the question remains - why would the same file(s) stream in HDR through the Plex app?  Seems like there must be some kind of setting somewhere in Emby that is stripping the HDR?

1 minute ago, EricCarlson said:

What all should I send you to look at?

Hi, there information in my link above in the section called how to report a media playback issue. Thanks.

EricCarlson

Thanks Luke!  I've attached two "sets" of log files - two files that were created when I streamed the HDR content and it did not result in HDR playback, and two files (GOOD) that were created where an HDR content streamed as expected (in HDR).

GOOD_embyserver.txt GOOD_ffmpeg-remux-a1941b2d-eb35-40ef-86a0-1993545341de_1.txt embyserver.txt ffmpeg-transcode-dd5cdd41-8714-4196-ac60-522f89698528_1.txt

• Solution

Hi.  The item is transcoding due to its bitrate (56Mb) being higher than the setting in the app (35Mb).  If you increase the video quality setting in the app above 56, does it play properly?

rbjtech
1 hour ago, EricCarlson said:

Thanks Luke!  I've attached two "sets" of log files - two files that were created when I streamed the HDR content and it did not result in HDR playback, and two files (GOOD) that were created where an HDR content streamed as expected (in HDR).

So from the logs - as Eric has highlighted - the one that is fully transcoding the video and audio - is bitrate limited by the app and/or connection.  Increase this to the max the app can handle - and ensure you have a good wifi signal or wired ethernet to this Roku.  I would also TRY and use an alternative Audio track - as you are converting from True-HD to AC3 - this has been known to cause issues with high bandwidth 4K streaming. 

09:41:43.369   Stream #0:0 (hevc) -> scale (graph 0)
09:41:43.369   format (graph 0) -> Stream #0:0 (libx264)
09:41:43.369   Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (truehd (native) -> ac3 (native))
09:41:43.369   Stream #0:4 -> #1:0 (subrip (srt) -> webvtt (native))
09:41:43.369   Stream #0:0 -> #1:1 (copy)

The 'good' playback has sufficient bandwidth (hence 'copying' the video stream) - the only issue is the Roku does not support DTS and thus it is converting that to AC3 also.  This is not as intensive as True-HD to AC3 - Ideally though, if you have an AC3 track - use that for Direct Playback (no transcoding at all).

09:46:38.356   Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (copy)
09:46:38.356   Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (dts (dca) -> ac3 (native))

EricCarlson
21 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

So from the logs - as Eric has highlighted - the one that is fully transcoding the video and audio - is bitrate limited by the app and/or connection.  Increase this to the max the app can handle -

Where do I do this from?

Hi, You should be able to go into the app settings in Emby, then the playback menu.
You should then see Quality settings you can adjust.

Also when playing back in the OSD (on screen display) you can click the cog icon to bring up a menu.
You will see quality that you can set here as well for an individual media item (good for testing or temp use).
On this same menu is SFN (Stats for Nerds) which can overlay information on top the screen showing you information about the media which is quite handy.
This will show you among other things if you file is transcoding or not.

EricCarlson

Still not really sure what to do here. I went into the Playback quality options within the Roku channel on the TV...it's set to "Auto". Is that not right? There are about 30 other choices available. :)  Still not sure why Plex would play the same file in HDR, but not Emby? Were there any other clues in the log files?  Thanks!

GrimReaper
28 minutes ago, EricCarlson said:

it's set to "Auto". Is that not right?

It ain't. There are number of topics being reported with "Auto" being too conservative (with somewhat increasing frequency lately, likely due to general available bandwidth increase (and/or increased-media bitrate) and it becoming more noticeable) resulting in certain playback issues by proxy. Just set it to some fixed numerical value, as per above example anything above 56 Mbps should do. 

• Agree 1

rbjtech
41 minutes ago, EricCarlson said:

Still not really sure what to do here. I went into the Playback quality options within the Roku channel on the TV...it's set to "Auto". Is that not right? There are about 30 other choices available. :)  Still not sure why Plex would play the same file in HDR, but not Emby? Were there any other clues in the log files?  Thanks!

What are the choices above 56Mbit/sec ?

4K Remux's tend to top out around the 80-90 Mbit/sec mark - so assuming a) your wifi is good enough and b) the Roku can handle this bitrate - then set it to 100Mbit (if that's even an option - sorry, I don't use Roku, so can't give you the exact options ..).

EricCarlson

Thanks everyone!  Adjusting the bitrate option seems to have done the trick.  100MB was the highest option (right under "Auto") so I left it there and the files appear to stream just fine, and in HDR!  There is a little "white noise" flicking periodically, but I need to check the file itself and see if it's there as well or if it's a streaming issue.  I think the core issue has been solved, though. Thank you!

• Like 1

It could be an HDMI cable issue as well.  When you're pushing higher bitrate data the quality of the cable can come into play.
Not saying that's your problem but keep this in mind.