Album only plays individual tracks as Download

roaku

I've got a strange playback problem in Android Mobile with one of my Various Artists 'albums', but only in Downloads mode.

When I start playback at the album level while connected to my server, the entire 5 disc set gets added to the queue and plays back normally.

If I start playback of the same album from Downloads, only the first track gets added for playback.

If I use 'play all from here' for a track later in the album, that track, plus all its predecessors get added for playback.

However, if I use 'play all from here' with a track from the fifth disc, or the later part of the fourth, nothing gets added to the queue at all.

Any of the tracks will play if I select them individually for playback.

The tags all look right when I open the files up in mp3tag, particularly Album, Album Artist, Discnumber, and Track.

The source files are FLAC and are being converted by Emby before the download, so I checked several of the resulting mp3s, and the above tags still looked correct.

This is the only album I've come across misbehaving like this from the subset of my library I have downloaded.

I should mention, I've removed/redownloaded multiple times and have downloaded to another Android device. The behavior is the same.

7 minutes ago, Luke said:

HI, what version of the app are you running?

7 hours ago, Luke said:

What happens if you hit play directly on the album?

This is the behavior from Downloads for both clicking the play button from a single album view and long pressing and clicking play from the albums grid view:

If I start playback of the same album from Downloads, only the first track gets added for playback.

FrostByte

Did you let the song play to the end and see what happens?  There are a couple other threads about only the first track being displayed when clicking play, but after the first track finishes then the list refreshes and the rest are displayed.

5 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Did you let the song play to the end and see what happens?  There are a couple other threads about only the first track being displayed when clicking play, but after the first track finishes then the list refreshes and the rest are displayed.

I only noticed the issue because playback stopped unexpectedly after the first track ended.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Luke said:

Ok please let me know what happens when you get 3.2.23+. It seems to be working ok for me. Thanks.

I sideloaded .26 and the behavior is the same.

The full album is added and plays normally when I'm connected to the server.

The queue misbehaves in various ways when I try to add and play from Downloads.

I checked the transcoded mp3s again and noticed that they appear to be missing values for Year, where the source FLACs in the Emby library *do* have values for Year.

Edited by roaku

2 minutes ago, Luke said:

When you do this, is only one track showing in the play queue?

If I hit 'play' from the single album view or long press/play from the albums grid view, only the first track is added to the queue/plays back.

Here are all the permutations I've come across:

If I use 'play all from here' for a track later in the album, that track, plus all its predecessors get added for playback.

However, if I use 'play all from here' with a track from the fifth disc, or the later part of the fourth, nothing gets added to the queue at all.

Any of the tracks will play if I select them individually for playback.

As a test:

I removed the source FLACs from Emby and the Emby generated mp3s from my Android device (now running Emby 3.2.26).

I did a local batch convert of the entire 5 disc album to mp3 and added the resulting files back to my Emby library.

I re-downloaded them to my Android device, found the album in Downloads, and clicked the big 'play' button in the single album view.

Same result: Only the first track is added and playback stops after it plays back.

Playing the album from the music library instead of Downloads continues to work normally.

Edited by roaku

Alright I can't reproduce for some reason but I'll try to chase it down. I'm testing with the server off, going into the downloads library and it seems to be working for me.

8 minutes ago, Luke said:

Alright I can't reproduce for some reason but I'll try to chase it down. I'm testing with the server off, going into the downloads library and it seems to be working for me.

Ok thanks.

As another test, I removed all the 'discs' except the first from my Emby music library and removed the entire album from my device.

Re-downloading the new single disc album resulted in *normal* album playback from Downloads.

I added the second disc, and I'm still getting normal playback from the 'play' button.

I'll see if I can get back to all five with normal playback or at least find out when it breaks down.

11 minutes ago, roaku said:

Ok thanks.

As another test, I removed all the 'discs' except the first from my Emby music library and removed the entire album from my device.

Re-downloading the new single disc album resulted in *normal* album playback from Downloads.

I added the second disc, and I'm still getting normal playback from the 'play' button.

I'll see if I can get back to all five with normal playback or at least find out when it breaks down.

Ok, this process of re-adding disc by disc broke down with the 4th disc.

Once the 4th was added, the 'play' button started malfunctioning again, only adding the first track of the first disc.

That's it for me tonight.

I'll see if I can track down if it's a particular track in the 4th disc causing the issue, or total tracks in an album, or something else next chance I get.

Edited by roaku

22 hours ago, roaku said:

Ok, this process of re-adding disc by disc broke down with the 4th disc.

Once the 4th was added, the 'play' button started malfunctioning again, only adding the first track of the first disc.

That's it for me tonight.

I'll see if I can track down if it's a particular track in the 4th disc causing the issue, or total tracks in an album, or something else next chance I get.

@Luke

When adding tracks from Disc 4 back to the album individually, the 'play' button worked correctly until '4-18 The Miracles - You've Really Got A Hold On Me', which is the 79th track overall.

If I remove track 4-18 from Downloads, the 'play' button works correctly again.

If I skip 4-18, and instead add track 4-19, the 'play' button breaks again.

So, there's some evidence pointing to a under 80 track limit for album playback from (my) Downloads. And again, I have this same issue on two different Android devices.

I'm also seeing this in the logs quite a bit. I'm not sure if it's related:

2021-10-29 20:03:28.412 Info Server: http/1.1 GET http://[servername]:8096/emby/Users/d2524bfa915c4d8d9aa45ba8b16771e5/Items/Latest?Limit=16&Fields=PrimaryImageAspectRatio,BasicSyncInfo,ProductionYear,Status,EndDate,CanDelete&ImageTypeLimit=1&EnableImageTypes=Primary,Backdrop,Thumb&ParentId=7e64e319657a9516ec78490da03edccb&X-Emby-Client=Emby Web&X-Emby-Device-Name=Firefox&X-Emby-Device-Id=d772fd9d-9093-4c4c-a411-d028dc0db2f9&X-Emby-Client-Version=4.6.2.0. UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:93.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/93.0
2021-10-29 20:03:28.424 Error Server: Error processing request
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 4.6.2.0
	Command line: /volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /volume1/Emby -ffdetect /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffprobe -nolocalportconfig -ignore_vaapi_enabled_flag -updatepackage emby-server-synology_{version}_armv7_multi armv7 armada375 armada38x comcerto2k monaco.spk
	Operating system: Linux version 3.10.105 (root@build4) (gcc version 4.9.3 20150311 (prerelease) (crosstool-NG 1.20.0) ) #25556 SMP Thu Mar 4 17:56:56 CST 2021
	Framework: .NET Core 3.1.13
	OS/Process: arm/arm
	Runtime: volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
	Processor count: 2
	Data path: /volume1/Emby
	Application path: /volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/system
	System.FormatException: System.FormatException: Guid should contain 32 digits with 4 dashes (xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx).
	   at System.Guid.GuidResult.SetFailure(Boolean overflow, String failureMessageID)
	   at System.Guid.TryParseExactN(ReadOnlySpan`1 guidString, GuidResult& result)
	   at System.Guid.TryParseGuid(ReadOnlySpan`1 guidString, GuidResult& result)
	   at System.Guid..ctor(String g)
	   at MediaBrowser.Controller.Library.LibraryManagerExtensions.GetItemById(ILibraryManager manager, ReadOnlySpan`1 id)
	   at MediaBrowser.Controller.Library.LibraryManagerExtensions.GetItemById(ILibraryManager manager, String id)
	   at MediaBrowser.Api.UserLibrary.TagService.Get(GetPrefixes request)
	   at lambda_method(Closure , Object , Object )
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceController.Execute(HttpListenerHost appHost, Object requestDto, IRequest req)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceHandler.ProcessRequestAsync(HttpListenerHost appHost, IRequest httpReq, IResponse httpRes, RestPath restPath, String responseContentType, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpServer.HttpListenerHost.RequestHandler(IRequest httpReq, ReadOnlyMemory`1 urlString, ReadOnlyMemory`1 localPath, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	Source: System.Private.CoreLib
	TargetSite: Void SetFailure(Boolean, System.String)

2021-10-29 20:03:28.425 Info Server: http/1.1 Response 500 to 192.168.1.12. Time: 14ms. http://192.168.1.16:8096/emby/Items/Prefixes?ParentId=localview:MusicView&userId=d2524bfa915c4d8d9aa45ba8b16771e5&X-Emby-Client=Emby for Android&X-Emby-Device-Name=Essential Phone&X-Emby-Device-Id=49664b782779a29e&X-Emby-Client-Version=3.2.26

Edited by roaku

16 hours ago, Luke said:

Are you able to update to 4.6.4?

I updated the server to 4.6.4 and removed the album from the server and Downloads and re-added it to Emby and re-downloaded.

Unfortunately, there was no change to the album playback misbehavior.

It may be unrelated, but both my Android devices are stuck on Android 10.

• 11 months later...

Just an update to say I'm still seeing this using 4.8 beta and the latest app release on Android 13.

• 4 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Luke said:

Are you still having an issue with this?

Yes.

• 1 month later...