Delete video Thumbnails

jaseinny

jaseinny

I've been trying to find a thread that can tell me how to delete all my video thumbnails that have been generated automatically with Emby server. Is there a tool or setting to accomplish this?

jaseinny

Hi Happy2Play, I'm trying to delete all the video thumbnails that are generated when I add movies, TV shows etc. The thumbnails that show up when you scroll through a movie on the bottom of the screen. These are generated every 10 secs and it's filling up my cache drive. I believe they are .bif files and there are 10,000's of them in separate metadata/library folders.

Edited by jaseinny

Happy2Play

So you are referring to the bif file/chapter images.  Depends on if you save them with media or not.

Per library setting

image.png.55618c567c1bbc5c53655770afd5d98f.png

If not saved with media then they reside in \library\xx\xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx folders per item, so you would have to do a blanket search for *.bif in \library.

If you are not talking about these the is may be the client doing this on the fly as these are a create once item.

jaseinny
2 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

So you are referring to the bif file/chapter images.  Depends on if you save them with media or not.

Per library setting

image.png.55618c567c1bbc5c53655770afd5d98f.png

If not saved with media then they reside in \library\xx\xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx folders per item, so you would have to do a blanket search for *.bif in \library.

If you are not talking about these the is may be the client doing this on the fly as these are a create once item.

So, is there no tool to delete them within the Emby server software? That seems a bit odd.

Happy2Play

No there is really no bulk editing options in Emby and what you are requesting has not come up before that I know of.  So once you have enabled the option to create these you have to disable the option and manually delete these bif files.

So should be easy enough to delete all *.bif files in \library, but I am not a Linux guy.  In Windows I would probably do a blanket search for bif and select all and delete.

• Like 1

jaseinny

Thanks for the tips. Really appreciate it.

Maybe the dev's can add this function at some point. It could be handy to reduce the database size or to re-generate thumbnails. It's a very handy tool in Plex.

Again, thanks for your help.

Happy2Play

These are a one and done feature that almost ever client uses.

I personally save them along side my media and not in my \library folder but that is a user choice.

But that is really no different the the options to save nfo and images with media or not.  You have to have the space either with media or in \library or live without the images effects all together.