TV Naming Questions

CrappyUserName

CrappyUserName

I don't know if this is the right place for this and it's not really an issue but I figured I would mention it. Since migrating over to DSM 7.0 or the latest version of emby (I wasn't on the latest when I migrated) Emby isn't finding TV shows the same way.

Normally I would add shows as Tv Shows\tvShowName\TvShowName-SxxExx.mkv

If it was the first season I wouldn't bother adding a season folder. If it ended up being multiple season I would go back and add season folders.

This has worked just fine since day one but since updating, 2 out of 3 shows I have added have shown up as movies and added each episode as a different version of that movie. Nothing I did would fix it. I even tried TvShowName (YEAR) [tvdbid=xxxxx] in the folder name and each episodes name, it still wouldn't find it, just added as an unidentified movie or some random movie with a similar name. If I manually identify with the IMDB code it would update the image but it would still be listed as a movie. If I tried to manually identify with the moviedb code it wouldn't find anything because it was searching for a movie instead of a TV show.

The solution was to add a season folder. TvShowName\Season x\TvShowName-SxxExx.mkv

After that it identified them no problem. Like I said, it's not really an issue, I should probably have been using season folders to being with, just putting it in here in case anyone else as the same problem after updating.

I think part of the identification process probably involved checking for some kind of SxxExx in the filename to identify whether it needed to search for a tv shows or movie and that process is now gone and replaced with checking for a season folder instead.

Edited by CrappyUserName
Some of filename paths got auto removed, edited to put them back in.

Can a mod move this to it's own thread?

Before diving in any deeper can you go to your Library menu in Emby and verify the library type used for this TV Show library?
Does it show as type "TV shows" or "Mixed Content"?

• Like 1

CrappyUserName
10 hours ago, cayars said:

It's listed as mixed content. I couldn't find anywhere in the settings to change it the other day but I just clicked the 3 dots and I can see there is an option to change the content type. But clicking that it says to remove the library and rebuild it with the correct content type. I'm pretty certain I would have set them correctly when initially setting up Emby so maybe restoring from backup didn't set the content correctly? That would explain why I'm suddenly having issues.

I'm a bit hesitant selecting the remove option.

Will that just remove the library and not remove the content on the NAS?

Will it remove any played information? I don't want it to lose track of what episode I'm up to.

8 hours ago, Luke said:

can you please go over a specific example? Thanks.

The Sinner-S0401.mkv

The Sinner-S0402.mkv

Was identified as https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1800757/

Episode 2 was added as a version. This was the show where I tried adding the ID into the folder and filenames, nothing would work. Once I added a "Season 4" folder into the path it worked perfectly.

But this probably doesn't matter now, it's most likely related to my TV Shows folder being listed as mixed content.

Happy2Play
37 minutes ago, CrappyUserName said:
11 hours ago, cayars said:

It's listed as mixed content. I couldn't find anywhere in the settings to change it the other day but I just clicked the 3 dots and I can see there is an option to change the content type. But clicking that it says to remove the library and rebuild it with the correct content type. I'm pretty certain I would have set them correctly when initially setting up Emby so maybe restoring from backup didn't set the content correctly? That would explain why I'm suddenly having issues.

Will it remove any played information? I don't want it to lose track of what episode I'm up to.

If you do not want to remove and readd the library your can follow this how to.  (paths will vary across different platforms)

How to Change the Content Type for a Library - Tutorials and Guides - Emby Community

All watched/Played statuses are tracked by providerid (IMDB, TMDB, TVDB ids) so only items that do not have providerid can loose this status.

37 minutes ago, CrappyUserName said:
8 hours ago, Luke said:

can you please go over a specific example? Thanks.

The Sinner-S0401.mkv

The Sinner-S0402.mkv

Episode 2 was added as a version. This was the show where I tried adding the ID into the folder and filenames, nothing would work. Once I added a "Season 4" folder into the path it worked perfectly.

But this probably doesn't matter now, it's most likely related to my TV Shows folder being listed as mixed content.

Technically that naming scheme could be considered Season 401 and 402.  There is no episode indicator in that naming scheme.  Since there is no season/episode identifier in Mixed content it is considered a movie.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, CrappyUserName said:

The Sinner-S0401.mkv

The Sinner-S0402.mkv

The Sinner-S0401.mkv is not a supported naming convention. If you instead were to do :

The Sinner-S04E01.mkv

Then that should be fine without a season folder.

• Like 1

CrappyUserName
21 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

How to Change the Content Type for a Library - Tutorials and Guides - Emby Community

Thanks. I will give that a shot.

21 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Technically that naming scheme could be considered Season 401 and 402.  There is no episode indicator in that naming scheme.  Since there is no season/episode identifier in Mixed content it is considered a movie.

Sorry, that was a typo, I meant "The Sinner-S04E01.mkv". And I didn't do a typo with the filename on the NAS, it definitely had the "E" in there. Another show was "Invasion-S01E01.mkv", that one didn't identify as anything but still showed up as a movie with 3 parts instead of 3 episodes. Again, once I put a "season 1" folder into the path it found it just fine.

I'm not really worried about it, I'm ok using season folders, I only brought it up in case others had issues after the migration. I wasn't on the latest emby version when I upgraded so I don't know where the change happened to cause these issues. I can't say for certain if the folder hasn't always been mixed content but I'm confident if the option was obvious during setup I definitely would have selected TV Shows for TV Shows and movies for movies. But all my libraries are listed as mixed content currently. It might be worth testing if the content type is set correctly when restoring a backup?

Actually I just checked a recent backup and the file "backup folder\library\TV Shows\options.xml" does not have a ContentType field. I assume because it's technically unset?

So if I follow the guide above should I just add following line to the options.xml file  - <ContentType>tvshows</ContentType> ?

Going off the migration guide I assume this is the path to the emby files on the NAS - /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer  ?

Happy2Play
7 minutes ago, CrappyUserName said:

Actually I just checked a recent backup and the file "backup folder\library\TV Shows\options.xml" does not have a ContentType field. I assume because it's technically unset?

Can you show a screenshot of the content of that folder, but I have a theory on this for users with old install as this has changed over time.

So if I follow the guide above should I just add following line to the options.xml file  - <ContentType>tvshows</ContentType> ?

Yes

Going off the migration guide I assume this is the path to the emby files on the NAS - /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer  ?

That sounds about right, but could be different depending on DSM.  You can see your Data Path in the top section of a server log.

Edited by Happy2Play

CrappyUserName
13 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Can you show a screenshot of the content of that folder, but I have a theory on this for users with old install as this has changed over time.

It only has 3 files

options.xml

TV Shows.mblink

tvshows.collection

Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, CrappyUserName said:

It only has 3 files

options.xml

TV Shows.mblink

tvshows.collection

Yes the orginal way was these three files and if you have never went in and edited a library it never truly updated to the new method of one file.  Everything contained in the options.xml

@Lukehas backwards compatibility been removed for reading these legacy file?  Pretty sure it has with all the issues we have seen for this.  Was or can there be a push to ensure the options.xml contains this information for existing installed users?

CrappyUserName
1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

One more question, was that a resent backup or a old backup?

Recent backup. Probably worth noting the modified date on options.xml is 2019 and the other 2 files is 2017.

Just for some history. I migrated to DSM 7.0, the emby app said it needed to be repaired so I clicked that and then opening emby gave me a screen as if it was a new installation. So I restored from a backup that was made with DSM 6.0 and whatever version of Emby I had. It wasn't the most up to date version but would have been close. That's when I found the migration thread but by then my old data was already gone, I think because I clicked the repair option in DSM.

• Like 1

Happy2Play
4 minutes ago, CrappyUserName said:

Recent backup. Probably worth noting the modified date on options.xml is 2019 and the other 2 files is 2017.

Yes this pretty much supports my theory on this changing to Mixed Content issue.

Apologies for the disruption. I would suggest setting the libraries back up manually and then you should be good to go.